BBC iPlayer "not in UK" message

I have Virgin cable and watch iPlayer on various PC's on my home network.
But I've been given an IBM laptop that won't run iPlayer - I get the 'you are not in the UK' message. The laptop runs XP and has all the latest patches and UK settings. Turning off the firewall and virus checker makes no difference.
Any ideas please?

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Sallyann4 wrote: »
    I have Virgin cable and watch iPlayer on various PC's on my home network.
    But I've been given an IBM laptop that won't run iPlayer - I get the 'you are not in the UK' message. The laptop runs XP and has all the latest patches and UK settings. Turning off the firewall and virus checker makes no difference.Any ideas please?
    Only that this should not be possible!!!!:D:D

The BBCs servers should be looking at the incoming IP address which, like every other system on your home network, the IBM should be acquiring by DHCP from your router (or it could not connect out!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Yes I know it shouldn't be possible but it is!

If I use this laptop to log onto speedtest.net it tells me I'm using the same Virgin IP address as all my other PC's which play iPlayer perfectly.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's likely to be using a Tor and/or the PC has malware routing intercepting all traffic/ using a dodgy proxy server.

Start with Tor and look it up on wiki.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It's likely to be using a Tor and/or the PC has malware routing intercepting all traffic/ using a dodgy proxy server.

Start with Tor and look it up on wiki.

That was my first thought Alan, but as I said above when I connected to speedtest.net it told me my address was the correct Virgin one.

I've just done another test connecting to an ftp server and that also identified my correct address.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Under the TCP/IP4 properties is it automatically picking up the DNS server or is there an entry in there
    Forum Member
    It's set to OpenDNS.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    and are all you devices connected to Open DNS
    Forum Member
    Yes, I use OpenDNS settings on everything. The first thing I did when the laptop wouldn't see iPlayer was to enter the OpenDNS settings to match my other PCs.