Options

Current crop of TV's with internet - are they future proof

crabstercrabster Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Can someone explain to me what to look for when buying a new TV regarding internet connection?

Is SmartTV future proof? e.g will the fact that the TV simply has an internet connecton make it ready for whatever comes out over the next few years?

As this technology is pretty new I'm worried that by next year the new set will be out of date!

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    From experience I would say no TVs are future proof as the likes of Samsung would rather you buy the new latest model than them carry on supporting a device for any longer than necessary.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is SmartTV future proof?

No, it can't be. At some point Firmware/Software updates will stop. A decent manufacturer should support it with updates for 5 years but that's about it. It'll obviously work beyond that but at some point it inevitably will be out of date.

It is not new technology merely an adaptation of TVs with software and some extra bits of hardware like USB, Network, Wireless cards and so on. Which have been available for PCs for a decade or more.

Your PC is not future proof, and it has an internet connection....

My PC (bought in 2002) has access to more online TV services than my internet TV (bought in late 2011) using the same ADSL modem router.

That's because of the TVs software is much less flexible/comprehensive and it's down to the TV manufacturer and service provider to write & supply the appropriate software.

With the old PC the Web Browser and Flash Player can be updated quite easily, so can some of the hardware.

What to look for in an internet TV hardware is a Network Card and a built in Wireless Card to N standard, USB connectivity to say a HDD. Maybe suitable sockets for some of your old hardware.

Last but far from least good Firmware/Software support - look at the various companies websites for a particular model.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Is SmartTV future proof?

No, it can't be. At some point Firmware/Software updates will stop. A decent manufacturer should support it with updates for 5 years but that's about it. It'll obviously work beyond that but at some point it inevitably will be out of date.

It is not new technology merely an adaptation of TVs with software and some extra bits of hardware like USB, Network, Wireless cards and so on. Which have been available for PCs for a decade or more.

Your PC is not future proof, and it has an internet connection....

My PC (bought in 2002) has access to more online TV services than my internet TV (bought in late 2011) using the same ADSL modem router.

That's because of the TVs software is much less flexible/comprehensive and it's down to the TV manufacturer and service provider to write & supply the appropriate software.

With the old PC the Web Browser and Flash Player can be updated quite easily, so can some of the hardware.

What to look for in an internet TV hardware is a Network Card and a built in Wireless Card to N standard, USB connectivity to say a HDD. Maybe suitable sockets for some of your old hardware.

Last but far from least good Firmware/Software support - look at the various companies websites for a particular model.

This 1937 TV seems future proof......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYCWjt0rkk
    although Marconi & EMI are long gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy your TV for its picture and sound, ignore the Internet features - these features aren't mature yet and the TV will not keep up.

Better to have your Internet features in your blu-ray player, they are all internet connected and cheap to replace when the next big thing comes.

Youview might change things when it gets released and gradually replaces Freesat recorders.

Right now Smart TVs are for dumb people. ;)