Playing MP4s

singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am having trouble playing some MP4 files. Some play and some don't. Any ideas. I have tried using WMP, VLC and Real Player.

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try downloading somehing like VideoInspector or gspot that will analysze your troublesome files and determine which codec they use and if there are any problems with the file

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?vtb
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    I am having trouble playing some MP4 files. Some play and some don't. Any ideas. I have tried using WMP, VLC and Real Player.

MP4 is just a container, it's what is inside that container that is important - so what is inside the container?

where have these files been sourced from ?
  • singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    MP4 is just a container, it's what is inside that container that is important - so what is inside the container?

where have these files been sourced from ?

They have been downloaded from Youtube.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you tried using Media Player Classic? This is what I use to play video files with the MP4 extension that I've downloaded, that will probably have a video that will have been encoded with the H.264 codec.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you mean "ripped" from youtube, seeing as youtube doesn't let you download peoples videos.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

they may not have been downloaded properly.

i have seen some strange arrangements with youtube videos and the only way i've been able to play them is by remuxing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you mean "ripped" from youtube, seeing as youtube doesn't let you download peoples videos.

With Real Player
    Forum Member
    With Real Player

whether it is ripped or downloaded is largely a semantic point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Have you tried using Media Player Classic? This is what I use to play video files with the MP4 extension that I've downloaded, that will probably have a video that will have been encoded with the H.264 codec.

Yes I tried that but still it doesn't play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why don't you just watch them on youtube, where they are meant to be watched.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try DivX player and install all its codecs.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    whether it is ripped or downloaded is largely a semantic point.

The Real site says
    "RealDownloader: Download Videos from YouTube, Metacafe and More"

http://www.real.com/realdownloader
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    The Real site says
    "RealDownloader: Download Videos from YouTube, Metacafe and More"

http://www.real.com/realdownloader

it can say what it wants, it's still essentially stealing the content from youtube, as youtube do not facilitate the downloading of videos.
    Forum Member
    it can say what it wants, it's still essentially stealing the content from youtube, as youtube do not facilitate the downloading of videos.

i don't really know where you are going with this.

youtube do stop the downloading of certain videos. but not most. it is part of the youtube process that people download and edit other people's videos it happens all the time in plain sight.

if they wanted to stop it they could, easily. but they have resisted requests from the likes of vevo to do it, for whatever reason.

again i can not think of any reason you would have for trying to beat the OP with this.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Files can be converted to another perhaps more compatible format once downloaded using something like format factory, real player a bit of a dinosaur these days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not technically, they're not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

youtube do stop the downloading of certain videos. but not most. it is part of the youtube process that people download and edit other people's videos it happens all the time in plain sight.

if they wanted to stop it they could, easily. but they have resisted requests from the likes of vevo to do it, for whatever reason.

again i can not think of any reason you would have for trying to beat the OP with this.

Exactly. The site's programmers could easily put a stop to it straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

show me the option on a youtube video that says "click here to download video".

if the option was there then why would you need to use realplayer to do it.
    Forum Member
    show me the option on a youtube video that says "click here to download video".

if the option was there then why would you need to use realplayer to do it.

The option is not there. do you not use youtube or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The option is not there. do you not use youtube or something?

i know it's not there, however you said....
    it is part of the youtube process that people download and edit other people's videos it happens all the time in plain sight.

which process is that?
    if it was "part of the process" then surely they would provide a legitimate way of doing so.

we both know that youtube do NOT provide a way of downloading videos, thus any third party method of doing so is technically ripping or stealing content.

now, i'm not claiming moral high ground on the taking of such content, but it's a bit rich expecting people to offer support on how to do it.
    Forum Member
    i know it's not there, however you said....

which process is that?
    if it was "part of the process" then surely they would provide a legitimate way of doing so.

we both know that youtube do NOT provide a way of downloading videos, thus any third party method of doing so is technically ripping or stealing content.

now, i'm not claiming moral high ground on the taking of such content, but it's a bit rich expecting people to offer support on how to do it.

well it's just that you asked me to show you the button and there isn't one. if we both know it then i'm not sure why you asked.

many of the most popular youtubers repost links to compilations, autotunes etc of their shows and google happily take the ad revenue from that. that is what i mean by it's part of the process.

the word ripping has no connection with the legality of the process. and there is no law covering this. you are trying to take the moral high ground and the OP did not ask for help doing it. if you have nothing to offer the OP by way of advice in respect of the question he did ask then might i be so bold as to suggest you keep your judgements to yourself as this is off topic.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    why don't you just watch them on youtube, where they are meant to be watched.

Sometimes people want to watch on a bigger screen and do not have Apple TV or other devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you have nothing to offer the OP by way of advice in respect of the question he did ask then might i be so bold as to suggest you keep your judgements to yourself as this is off topic.

i'm struggling to see what you've offered the OP other than suggesting it may not have downloaded properly.

so maybe you should take your own advice before offering it to others.

no-one is forcing you to respond to any post i made, so you can simply put me on your ignore list and you'll have a much happier life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people want to watch on a bigger screen and do not have Apple TV or other devices.

in which case wouldn't it be far simply to just connect the PC or laptop direct to the TV than faffing about trying to download content that isn't meant to be downloaded in the first place.

it's as if some people purposely try to find the most convoluted way of doing something when a simple solution exists.
    Forum Member
    in which case wouldn't it be far simply to just connect the PC or laptop direct to the TV than faffing about trying to download content that isn't meant to be downloaded in the first place.

it's as if some people purposely try to find the most convoluted way of doing something when a simple solution exists.

how would you know what is easier for people to do.

myself for example i have a media player that plays the downloads from youtube directly they're just avc/aac in mp4. i can transfer the files wirelessly. and you would advocate that i hook my computer up to my tv as being less faff? ten years ago maybe.

for some reason you have adopted a stance that you know what is best and you get to decide what is right. and i can not understand it. nobody has asked you to tell them either of these things.