• RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Oh bless your cotton socks x

Aw, cheers and bless yours too!
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »

I was more meaning that I thought I may get some flak for posting this.

BIB: Thanks, true.

BIB2. Of course but the way some talk about them, you'd think they were. Plus without all the drama, no one would have anything to talk about anyhow, you're right!!:o

Ah OK :)

One thing I have noticed is that the word hate/rs has crept back into the forum. For one thing it's against the rules, and secondly it's hugely inaccurate most of the time. Mostly it's just disliking or finding a character uninteresting.

Edit: I don't mean people can't hate a character or s/l but FMs should not be called haters.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Ah OK :)

One thing I have noticed is that the word hate/rs has crept back into the forum. For one thing it's against the rules, and secondly it's hugely inaccurate most of the time. Mostly it's just disliking or finding a character uninteresting.

Edit: I don't mean people can't hate a character or s/l but FMs should not be called haters.

I am guilty of calling members haters and I apologise, in future I shall refer to them as 'anti Alfie fans' is it ok to say anti?

Or 'non Alfie fans'!
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Why would there be fights between Linda and Sharon fans? Sharon and Linda are best mates. But it's not just sharon fans only..

Sharon blabbed that Dean had kissed Linda! Worse than that she accused Linda of kissing Dean. I have a feeling this will be brought up when Dean rapes Linda. Sharon and Linda's friendship is on and off.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley and Sharon grumblers then.
    Forum Member
    I am guilty of calling members haters and I apologise, in future I shall refer to them as 'anti Alfie fans' is it ok to say anti?

Or 'non Alfie fans'!

I wasn't having a go....I'm sure you'll come up with something. :) Maybe there are a few that have never liked him but mostly it's down to his s/ls, which have been dreadful this year. Alfie's a strange one ...you can hate him one minute and love him the next, but that's probably the same for most of them.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it Ell. Just enjoy the episodes. I personally tend to swerve the episode tgreads as there's one poster on there who doesn't seem to say much except Miss Piggy doing this, Miss Piggy doing that etc and I would find myself saying something that I regret so I avoid that part of the forum.

Also to the people on here saying Sharon is put on a pedestal I would disagree. Her fans spent ages criticising her behaviour/writing. I know because I joined to contribute!

I don't want to get into a scrap but don't some of the Shirley fans honestly say they don't favour her actions/put her on a pedestal a tad? Last night one of them said Sharon was rude to Aunt Sal and happy slapped her by throwing her phone into the bubbly and Shirley was doing Sharon a favour! :D

I think the atmosphere on here can get a bit heated sometimes and ultimately it is all rather silly. But I enjoy bantering with you Ell, Vald too as most of the time I think we do it with a twinkle in our eyes. If I'm wrong please tell me.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    These forums are generally pretty negative and love a bit of drama/turmoil within a soap. There are many, many people on here who are secretly pretty happy when there's a big problem or major crisis going on with their soap, as they get to be all up in arms about it. This is the kind of the point of live episodes, to be honest. People want them to go wrong.

And of course, it has to be said that although soap characters are not real people the whole point of soap operas - indeed, the main thing that sets them apart from standard dramas - is that they are supposed to feel real. The characters are supposed to feel like our friends and relatives (or enemies). We are supposed to get emotionally invested in the minutiae of their lives and it's a good thing that we do. Soaps are much more character-based than plot-based so it's important that viewers have these intense relationships with the characters.

However, people do clearly go too far at times. Fan wars are ridiculous, as there comes a point where you have to step back and acknowledge that as much as it may feel like it at times, it isn't actually real and these shows are mass market and have to entertain everyone. We have to accept that soaps will sometimes take a turn we don't approve of but we just have to deal with it.

And of course in many ways this aspect actually DOES reflect real life. Take Viv's death on Emmerdale. It happened out of nowhere with virtually no set-up and people were angry and devastated. Of course they were - because they're suffering from grief! People do just die like that with no chance for a farewell and it can hurt when that happens even in a soap. Sometimes people like Hayley Cropper, Tina McIntyre and Bradley Branning don't have happy endings and it's upsetting to see them face tragedy. And in the case of Phil/Shirley/Sharon, sometimes people do have affairs or multiple partners for years or even decades. It happens and we have no control over it.

So in short, it's important to take the middle ground. We are allowed - encouraged even - to have an emotional investment in characters and what you want for them. But we also have to accept that just like in real life, that won't always be what we want and getting angry about it will solve nothing.
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it Ell. Just enjoy the episodes. I personally tend to swerve the episode tgreads as there's one poster on there who doesn't seem to say much except Miss Piggy doing this, Miss Piggy doing that etc and I would find myself saying something that I regret so I avoid that part of the forum.

Also to the people on here saying Sharon is put on a pedestal I would disagree. Her fans spent ages criticising her behaviour/writing. I know because I joined to contribute!

I don't want to get into a scrap but don't some of the Shirley fans honestly say they don't favour her actions/put her on a pedestal a tad? Last night one of them said Sharon was rude to Aunt Sal and happy slapped her by throwing her phone into the bubbly and Shirley was doing Sharon a favour! :D

I think the atmosphere on here can get a bit heated sometimes and ultimately it is all rather silly. But I enjoy bantering with you Ell, Vald too as most of the time I think we do it with a twinkle in our eyes. If I'm wrong please tell me.

BIB 1 Just put them on ignore and come and join us.

BIB 2 It's just a bit of panto....we get to boo and hiss, and yes, cheer on our favourite characters. :D
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    This is exactly what I am referring too. It has definitely gone over the top with this types of remarks recently. Esp when people disagree.

I have debated with you and asked for clarification but I wouldn't dream of being rude. I enjoy a good debate most I debate with its usually because I respect their opposing view.
    But I wont deny there is a group of us who either left or post less due to what you claim. I find taking lengthy breaks and posting for a few days makes it better for me as I took the mantra "I choose to be here if I don't enjoy what is going on, I can choose to leave" but its sad it got to that stage for so many. If I was you if someone is rude and obviously you come on often I would report them if it concerns you. I personally have made lots of use of the ignore function makes my experience a lot more enjoyable.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to Shirley and Sharon fans, it works both ways. The Sharon fans do gang up on Shirley fans, I know this because it has happened to me numerous times.

This team such and such mentality is silly imo and has definitely got pretty bad over the last year.
    Your right it does work both ways.

Someone mentioned it starting when people slate Sharon and excuse Shirley's behaviour but if you swapped those names around that would also be the cause of many an argument on here.

These people actually put me off Sharon. Sharon in this stint is a different character to the one she used to be but I could almost warm to her if I wasn't being fed this Sharon vs. Shirley point-scoring drivel every time I logged on to DS. Phil Mitchell aint no great prize anyway and I would consider the one who doesn't end up with him as being the winner in this situation, hope Sharon and Shirley both kick him to the curb and move on, then their fans will too.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have debated with you and asked for clarification but I wouldn't dream of being rude. I enjoy a good debate most I debate with its usually because I respect their opposing view.
    But I wont deny there is a group of us who either left or post less due to what you claim. I find taking lengthy breaks and posting for a few days makes it better for me as I took the mantra "I choose to be here if I don't enjoy what is going on, I can choose to leave" but its sad it got to that stage for so many. If I was you if someone is rude and obviously you come on often I would report them if it concerns you. I personally have made lots of use of the ignore function makes my experience a lot more enjoyable.

You are strong willed AP and are exceptional at debating but one thing I will say is that you are never rude. :)
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    You are strong willed AP and are exceptional at debating but one thing I will say is that you are never rude. :)

Thanks hun. Some of the best people on here disagree with me about EE. I love a good debate. Be boring if we all liked the same thing. Having said that did anyone like the Ferreira kidney story? Because that was epic viewing :D
This discussion has been closed.