Options

What's the best way to connect audio outputs

I have just bought a new LCD, HD ready 32 inch TV. I want to use the component connection to get the best possible picture from my DVD player and I was going to put the Sky+ box through the RGB scart connection. All this will be done with good quality QED or Ixos cabling.

The problem I have is I want to run the sound through my hifi amp (I'm not going to use home cinema at the mo as there'll be too many speakers in the room), but I have now got two different sources ie the sound from the DVD player and the sound from the Sky box to run separately down two sets of phono cables into two separate inputs on the amp. So I end up with an extra set of leads that I don't want and I have to keep swithching sources on the amp when I change from Sky to DVD.

One way around it would be to loop the DVD player throught the sky box with another scart cable, but would this lead to a loss in picture quality from the DVD? Or is there some sort of adaptor I can get with 2 phono inputs on one end and 1 phono output on the other end, which I could plug in somewhere around the back of the two boxes.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, hope it makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your TV not have a set (of two) audio out connectors that you can connect to your amp? that's how I do it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Yes it does have an audio out at the back of the TV.

Would that give the same quality of sound as if they were connected directly from the Sky box & DVD?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with that is though is that your DVD audio is probably not actually connected to your TV if you are using the component connections (I assume you are not using SCART as that doesn't do component video)

So although the Phono's out of the TV will give you the Sky box audio via it's SCART connection you are no better off in reality as you will still need to switch the amp over to the DVD audio. Unless that is your TV has audio ins along with the Component Video connections (if it has built in speakers then it almost certainly will have). In which case you can run the phono lead currently connecting the DVD to the amp into the TV instead and take the TV audio out to the amp.

I seriously doubt that you will notice any difference at all between a direct connection and indirect via the TV.

Your other sugestion of using a phono splitter in reverse to combine two sources into one lead is not to be recommended. Connecting two outputs directly together never works properly. The impedances are all wrong for a kick off and would seriously screw up sound quality.

So you are way better off keeping the set up as is and live with switching the amp between inputs or using the TV as the source switch.