Panasonic TUCT 20 - Mis-order of channels

TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
Forum Member
Noticing that my parents Panasonic TUCT20 hadn't had a channel update for a while, I undertook a channel rescan.

Wish I hadn't. The channels are now all over the place with all the radio channels interspersed with the tv channels. It took 2 factory resets and 3 scans to get BBC Gaelic Radio off position 1 and BBC1/2 in their right places.

As far as I can tell, the Panasonic box shouldn't be affected by the NIT issues. Mux D, however, has always been difficult to receive so with NIT now being "split" is it possible that the box is being confused by missing corrupt data thus putting channels here there and everywhere?

Comments

• DerekMcVDerekMcV Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I also have a Panasonic TUCT20 & getting same problem with order of channels. Looks like a the NIT change has struck?
  • digidoldigidol Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Panasonic released an update for these two models in February 2007, and was repeated a few times during this period. At the time it wasn't really clear what the update was for except that there were changes been made to the DTT transmission. This kind of makes sense now.

Check what software versions you have.

For the TU-CT20 you should have: DCB_A_1.19

For the TU-CT30 you should have: CT30 0.44 or CT30 0.46 (this second update was released around April 2007 and I think it fixed a few MHEG bugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticing that my parents Panasonic TUCT20 hadn't had a channel update for a while, I undertook a channel rescan.

Wish I hadn't. The channels are now all over the place with all the radio channels interspersed with the tv channels. It took 2 factory resets and 3 scans to get BBC Gaelic Radio off position 1 and BBC1/2 in their right places.

As far as I can tell, the Panasonic box shouldn't be affected by the NIT issues. Mux D, however, has always been difficult to receive so with NIT now being "split" is it possible that the box is being confused by missing corrupt data thus putting channels here there and everywhere?

I have a Panasonic Freeview DVD recorder and have the same problem, BBC channels and Radio stations aswell as Sky channels are now designated to Channel 800+ and done multiple resets and re-scans. Rang Panasonic who are looking into it as many people have advised same problem. The Freeview DVD recorders that seem to be affected are model no's.: DMR-ES20D and DMR-ES30D. This peroblem has only occured within last 2 weeks.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    digidol wrote: »
    Panasonic released an update for these two models in February 2007, and was repeated a few times during this period. At the time it wasn't really clear what the update was for except that there were changes been made to the DTT transmission. This kind of makes sense now.

For the TU-CT30 you should have: CT30 0.44 or CT30 0.46 (this second update was released around April 2007 and I think it fixed a few MHEG bugs.

Just checked, the box is still on DCB_A_1.14

Hopefully Panasonic will re-release the update over the next few weeks. If not, well... The box is now 5 years old and the MHEG is a bit slow - a better specified box will cost less than a fifth of the £80 the TU-CT20 originally cost.
  • PaperhousePaperhouse Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a TUCT-20, a TUCT-30 and a Panny DVD recorder with Freeview. Rescanned all three recently and with no problems.
  • DerekMcVDerekMcV Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digidol wrote: »

I have my TU-CT20 on DCB_A_1.19 & still have the problem
    Forum Member
    DerekMcV wrote: »
    I have my TU-CT20 on DCB_A_1.19 & still have the problem

That's weird.....have just re-scanned mine and everything is as it should be. The only thing different is that the duplicate BBC World Service off Mux D is on LCN 8. Sometimes a channel that is not assigned an LCN causes a problem with the TU-CT20. Try re-scanning again.

Either that or the 'Split NIT' hasn't happened on the Winter Hill transmitter yet.....but I thought it was UK wide now.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    I've had a TUCT20 since launch and it occasionally does the silly renumbering during a rescan. It has always had the problems since its release and has always been kept up-to-date with software updates.

I've found it needs to be powered off at mains for around a minute then the rescan normally works fine.

There are several posts referring to this problem dating back five or so years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above, though I think I bought mine near the end of its issue.

The worst box ever owned by anyone in my family, it actually still does work, but it lives as a bedroom box now. The idea of having to put up with it in the living room is a total no brainer (put it in the bin and buy something better for £20).

Good luck (and this box stopped me buying big names for anything except kenwood food processors)
  • g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a TU-CT20 still in use upstairs. The wrong channel order always seemed to happen if you did a rescan during periods of high pressure . I remember somebody saying to dissconnect the aerial do a first time install to clear the memory and then re connect the aerial and do another first time install. I remember that it worked at the time for my box.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I have a TU-CT30 with version 0.38 and am getting the problems described.
    When's the next round of updates, then?

I also have a Panasonic DMR EZ45V Freeview/VCR/DVD combo which I'm reluctant to rescan until I know for sure it's not going to muck up my EPG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware of these upgrades and rescanned our two TUCT20 boxes and now as others have said the channels are either missing or jumbled. I'm annoyed to say the least as these boxes were £100 when purchased. One box has the latest software DCB_A_1.19 Radio stations are mixed in with the tv channels etc., Channel 5 is now BBC World Service.
    (Mendip transmitter)

The other box has been in a cupboard for a while so is a complete mess after rescanning.

I returned both boxes to 'shipping condition' and rescanned
    so just hoping now that there is an OAD from Panasonic :eek:
  • Mr KennethMr Kenneth Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Rescanned the parents' TUCT 20 2 weeks ago and channels all over the place with radio and tv all mixed up. Have tried several times since but all to no avail. Didn't get the last software update but I gather from here that some who have that are still having the problem.

I've just tried the Panasonic helpline (0800 169 3012) but announcement at 4.20pm stays the line is now closed until 9am tomorrow. Will try on Thursday and report back. If anyone gets feedback from Panasonic before me perhaps they could post back here.

Cheers,

Mr K
    Forum Member
    I emailed them on 1st September but they haven't replied yet. I listed all channels affected as well ;)

Telephone is the next step to take methinks and will post back here with any results.
  • naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for this forum. I have the same Panasonic Freeview box and was wondering why the channels are all higgledy piggledy. Now, since everyone else is having the same issue, I guess it is a fault with the box.

I am having to remember that BBC1 is on 5, BBC2 is on 7, News24 is on 16 and CBBC Channel is on 23. Other than that, most of it is fine. Although, I will try and rescan it on the other aerial to make sure.
  • Mr KennethMr Kenneth Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    To update you I have spoken to the helpline and they advised unpowering the box for 30 minutes then deleting the channels (not sure now if if was that order or the other way around) then doing a fresh rescan. Told it may take one or two attempts but that that should resolve the problem.

Am away now for almost a week but will do that when I get back and see if it sorts it out. Anyone else may wish to try it and post results here in the meantime.

Mr K
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    The TUCT 20 was an awful box six years ago, certainly not worth putting up with now. Scrap it!
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Mr Kenneth wrote: »
    To update you I have spoken to the helpline and they advised unpowering the box for 30 minutes then deleting the channels (not sure now if if was that order or the other way around) then doing a fresh rescan. Told it may take one or two attempts but that that should resolve the problem.

They gave me that story too for the TU CT30 and IT DOES NOT WORK. The same channels are still misplaced.

I know that the CT20's and CT30's have this quirky problem of mis-placing channels, and as has been said in this thread there is a way round to solving this. This one though looks as though it could be the NIT issue. I personally am not having any problems and did a re-scan only the other day.

I was wondering if all of those having problems could state their software version numbers.........

CT20 should be DCB_A_1.19 or DCB_1.19

CT30 should be CT30 0.44 or CT30 0.46

If your version numbers are less than the ones above then you have missed an important update last year.
  • barkingboybarkingboy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Hi, has anyone got any further with his issue? Maybe Panasonic will be good enough to issue a fix?
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barkingboy wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone got any further with his issue? Maybe Panasonic will be good enough to issue a fix?

Would be surprised since they never bothered to fix the ludicrous issue of the box not being able to show WS broadcasts in the correct aspect ratio on 4:3 TVs.
    Forum Member
    I have now had a reply to my emails and an offer of a replacement box, just need to telephone them with details :)