Full Comprehensive Insurance cover, driving someone else's car?

2»

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    IBit Off topic ,but im driving too Kent next week and i don't have AA or RAC etc ,what happens if break down on the motorway ? Im i just stranded or will the police come and move me ? will charge me ? is it illegal not to have breakdown cover?
    It's not illegal to have no AA or RAC or similar cover. However if you do breakdown on the motorway you are pretty much on your own.

The Highways Agency patrol the motorway and will give basic assistence but, as far as I can see from reading various bits on their website, won't normally recover a broken down vehicle. Basically they will check no-one is hurt but leave it up to you to arrange recovery. Which is obviously going to cost.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/default.aspx
  • kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    The emboldened part of your post simply isn't so, unless such a restriction is explicitly stated in the policy documentation.

I've never seen such a limitation, although an insurance company could (in theory) apply one.

In practice, it wouldn't make sense to do so, because of the difficulties which would almost certainly arise from differing views on what constitutes an emergency.

EDIT - On further reflection, some policies may permit drivers under 25 to drive other vehicles in emergency situations only. This still leaves the gray area of interpretation of "emergency" unresolved, but it certainly makes more sense than the blanket restriction which you suggested.

As I said originally, it is up to the driver to determine what an emergency is, and in theory, if an accident were to occur you just tell them you were on your way to an emergency.

All I know is that when I sold motor insurance for a company with a big red motorised telephone we had to stipulate whilst reading out the quotation that it was to be used for emergencies only. Whether that appeared on the policy documentation or not I do not know, as I never took a policy out with the company I worked for. We would often get asked by the customer "what is an emergency?" and had to tell them that is up to them and would be judged on a case by case basis.

It is now over 3 years since I worked for that company and things may well have changed in that time. It was just a legal statement we had to read out like the ones about claims and convictions, as you progress through the quote.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It's not illegal to have no AA or RAC or similar cover. However if you do breakdown on the motorway you are pretty much on your own.

The Highways Agency patrol the motorway and will give basic assistence but, as far as I can see from reading various bits on their website, won't normally recover a broken down vehicle. Basically they will check no-one is hurt but leave it up to you to arrange recovery. Which is obviously going to cost.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/default.aspx

Basic cover with AA, RAC or Green Flag is quite reasonable, it's well worth it for peace of mind. Probably under £50, that's less than £1 per week.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    They don't forget to tell you. Most insurance companies will give you the option of looking at a digital company or your policy documents and schedhule before your purchase the policy. Not only this, but from the day of receiving your policy documents you have 14 days in which to cancel the policy at no cost to yourself. It is your responsibility to ensure that the policy you have signed up to is the policy that you want.

Basically, we have Tesco's Value Car Insurance, which is different from the Standard Car Insurance which I assume does allow you to drive other cars. The Value is not added benefits, cheap sort of insurance. What is odd is that my mum has third party insurance with the AA and can drive another car so surely any of Tesco's insurances should allow you this added extra of driving another car with owner's consent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said above, by looking at the policy terms and conditions, which can be found here, you will find an answer, rather than making guesses based upon other people's policies.

Section A(1)(b) tells you that:
    We will indemnify you against legal liability for damages, claimant's costs and expenses in the event of an accident

Involving:

The driving by you, with the owner's permission, of any motor car not belonging to you and not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement provided that:

1. You are entitled by your effective Certificate of Motor Insurance to drive such a car.
    2. You observe the licence conditions applicable.
    3. There is no other insurance in force which covers the same claim.
    4. The car is being driven in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

In respect of:

1. Death of or bodily injury to any person.
    2. Damage to property up to a maximum of twenty million pounds subject to General Exception 5.

It then goes on to say:
    If your Certificate permits you to drive someone else's car then it should only be in the event of an emergency.

Therefore, you must look at your individual policy to determine whether or not you are covered to drive another person's car on the road.

However, even if you are, the conditions of your particular policy will prevent you from doing so for the reasons which you have stated here.

However, in theory, if you were to be stopped, I suppose there would be nothing to stop you arguing that she had panicked and that you are simply recovering her car and driving her home.

Browneggsandham :)