Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of this last gap tackling by Chelsea is reminding me of us in our '05 CL campaign.

I was thinking that. Many a european night of last ditch defending to eventually sneak through by the odd goal on Italian/Spanish soil.

They've frustrated barca almost perfectly tonight apart from that terrible terrible miss at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also helps when you don't have to worry about the premier league title because you don't even know if you'll get 4th come the end of the season.

But hadn't you heard!!! It was massively unjust to make Chelsea play the cup semi last Sunday. Giving them absolutely no chance of living with Barca on the scoreboard tonight ,

oh hang on:D
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you're not being serious ?

Johnson, Gerrard and Lucas ?

We are in 8th, behind a poor\skint Everton. We are behind Newcastle who were promoted the year before last. Should we somehow lose our next 2 games and Stoke and all the team between us and them, win their next two games we would be lying in 15th position.

and you question whether I'm serious.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    We are in 8th, behind a poor\skint Everton. We are behind Newcastle who were promoted the year before last. Should we somehow lose our next 2 games and Stoke and all the team between us and them, win their next two games we would be lying in 15th position.

That answers nothing - What is wrong with t hose three players?
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But hadn't you heard!!! It was massively unjust to make Chelsea play the cup semi last Sunday. Giving them absolutely no chance of living with Barca on the scoreboard tonight ,

oh hang on:D

Ah, but Martin was on hand to give them a cheeky goal they hadn't really scored. So every cloud has a silver lining. It's give them a lift allright.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Gerrard and Lucas have played together since last March. Missing those two has been a large part of our problem this season.

Johnson also must've missed about a dozen games this season. If we could work out what our best 11 is and play them for a few games together, we'd know where we actually stand.

We've got problems that need attention, no doubt about that, but I don't think it needs the drastic action you suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Gerrard and Lucas have played together since last March. Missing those two has been a large part of our problem this season.

Johnson also must've missed about a dozen games this season. If we could work out what our best 11 is and play them for a few games together, we'd know where we actually stand.

We've got problems that need attention, no doubt about that, but I don't think it needs the drastic action you suggest.

A midfield of Gerrard and Lucas finished 7th in Rafa's last season. An improvement on 8th, though not what I had in mind.
  • Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member

:confused: Who's talking about league positions?

I was questioning whether you were being serious when saying you wanted rid of 3 of our best players Gerrard, Lucas and Johnson. Who exactly would you bring in to replace them then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Who's talking about league positions?

who isn't?
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    SlowRap wrote: »
    Well we bought him for £35million, don't play to his strengths and when he starts to show a glimmer of form he gets relegated to the bench with ten minute cameos.

For me he's a model professional; he came to LFC and set the place on fire, gave his all for the club. We made a lot of money on him as he took a step forward in his career. Because a world cup and an European cup winner deserves to play in the CL. I will be supporting him against Barcelona and hope he gets a couple against them YNWA

Andy Carroll has had a bum deal and Torres is the model professional - well I guess there will be all sorts of views within our fan base and you are perfectly entitled to hold them but lets simply say I disagree profoundly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    I wasn't too keen on the bit when he said 'money isn't the answer' or something along those lines.

I totally agree with him - money is a big factor but not the only factor - if it was MCFC would have walked the PL.

As it is you know who are likely to win it - now OK MUFC have money but not at Citys level and last summer their buys of Young, De Gea and Jones were not exactly world beaters imo which was found out in Europe. What they have at PL level is team spirit and know how of how to win - perhaps even when playing poorly.

We need to improve in that area, spend what money we get wisely identifying the right positions and players (like NUFC this year) and be a bit luckier - I am convinced that if we stick together and do this we will improve next season a lot which I know sounds like what Kenny is saying but he is right imo.

Lots of knee jerking from LFC fans - predictably - and for the record I think we will finish 7th and win both cups which will not be a bad season - altho yes I agree the PL position is not as high as we'd hoped.

To listen to some it seems the best solution is to sack the manager and sell the majority of the players - what nonsense!! - that has never been the way of our club and whats more never been the way of successful clubs.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with him - money is a big factor but not the only factor - if it was MCFC would have walked the PL.

As it is you know who are likely to win it - now OK MUFC have money but not at Citys level and last summer their buys of Young, De Gea and Jones were not exactly world beaters imo which was found out in Europe. What they have at PL level is team spirit and know how of how to win - perhaps even when playing poorly.

We need to improve in that area, spend what money we get wisely identifying the right positions and players (like NUFC this year) and be a bit luckier - I am convinced that if we stick together and do this we will improve next season a lot which I know sounds like what Kenny is saying but he is right imo.

Lots of knee jerking from LFC fans - predictably - and for the record I think we will finish 7th and win both cups which will not be a bad season - altho yes I agree the PL position is not as high as we'd hoped.

To listen to some it seems the best solution is to sack the manager and sell the majority of the players - what nonsense!! - that has never been the way of our club and whats more never been the way of successful clubs.

I might have just disagreed with you on another thread, but I can't here. I definitely see things the way you do..
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might have just disagreed with you on another thread, but I can't here. I definitely see things the way you do..

I'm in the same camp - circumstances haven't helped.

Given no injuries etc we could put out the following team...
    Reina
    Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
    Gerrard Adam Lucas Downing
    Suarez
    Carroll

You can drop in Spearing for Adam if preferred or have Kuyt/Henderson on the right and move Gerrard in but, generally. it's not a wholly disfunctional team. Even with some of those players absent, we've continually created chances and dominated possession. However...

The only glaring issues we need to look at are a consistent 20-goal-a-season striker and a proper right wing option. Assuming Gerrard and Lucas will be fit, the midfield doesn't need major surgery but could do with a powerful attacking midfielder to run at defences which is something we lack.

So, at most, three signings (although if Carragher retires, another CB would be useful).

Then, the manager just needs to pick a consistent side, put players intheir rightful positions, play a settled style and brush up on his media work. Job done.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick question, do you ever see a future for Joe Cole back at your club, or is he a sure 100% sale in the summer? How long does he have left on his contract with you guys?
  • Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question, do you ever see a future for Joe Cole back at your club, or is he a sure 100% sale in the summer? How long does he have left on his contract with you guys?
    He may be back next season, but I can't see Kenny playing him much, so he'd be better off moving on

His contract ends in 2014 I believe
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone mention the signing of 16 year old schoolboy midfielder Dan Smith of Crewe (apparently away from Man C). Fee thought to be about £300k initially.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also helps when you don't have to worry about the premier league title because you don't even know if you'll get 4th come the end of the season.

Thats wrong Nin. There is as much pressure for Chelsea to get 4th unless thats not what you mean...
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member

He's made several comments this week intimating his desire to stay at Lille.

If life in France is suiting him then it's probably his best option to stay there. If, as expected, Lille sell Eden Hazard (and I think the player won't give them much cloice) that would give Joe an even more important role in that team; and the club will have the finances to pay him.

I don't see any place for him at Anfield now. Gerrard, Henderson, Adam and possibly even Shelvey would be ahead of him. I'm also fairly certain FSG don't want to be paying a 30 year old that amount of money; they probably don't want to be paying any player that amount when it comes to it.

Can't work out why it went so wrong for him here. It can't all be down to that early red card and niggling injury. I don't think the new regime after the take over ever wanted there at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our overpriced/paid mediocre midfielder cup runneth over at the moment. I see no reason for Joe Cole to darken the doors of Anfield again.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Carroll has had a bum deal and Torres is the model professional - well I guess there will be all sorts of views within our fan base and you are perfectly entitled to hold them but lets simply say I disagree profoundly.

Don't refute the points I made to come to that opinion then.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all of the answers for my question on Joe Cole, it is certainly an intersting one I think, if Lille cannot put together a decent package for him, (as one would have to think he would need to take a paycut to stay there) it will be intersting to see where he goes, espcially if there is no "Unlce Harry" to take him to Spurs.
    Perhaps a loan move to someone else in the Premier League with you guys helping towards the costs may be needed?
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The points about Torres don't really match up to his playing performance though...
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have posted many times my opinion of both Carroll and Torres - for a sample see post 588 on AC and post 2624 on Torres - sorry it is post 588 in the clown thread not this thread.

But I don't really want to argue with you as we are so poles apart frankly.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Despite out latest clash over Suarez in the other thread (:D) i have to say you have it absolutely spot on. You can't win without spending of course but its all about building IMO. We don't have the best players by a fair distance but we have a squad that knows its place and in the signings you mentioned an increasing emphasis on players at the right age getting better (albeit with the odd relic in the squad to help them along!).

I think any owner who will spend but says "its not just about money" has far more chance of success long term than an owner hurling vast sums at the manager ever year but expecting success immediately.
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emiliano Insua has put in quite a shift tonight for Sporting Lisbon,why did we sell him on ?
This discussion has been closed.