Options

Windows 7 or 8?

13»

Comments

• Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of buying a new laptop but not keen on Win 8, which most seem to come preinstalled with.

How can I tell whether they have the 32bit version or the 64bit version?

I think most come with the 64bit version on nowadays as standard. Possibly the lower end netbook types may not?

Obviously if you have the laptop in front of you, it's just a matter of right clicking 'Computer' and looking at the Properties.
    Otherwise you'd hope it would be in the specs.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    If I was thinking of getting a computer running windows 8 I'd wait for windows8.1 .... second version of a windows release has tended to be a bit better & 8.1 (aka blue) is supposed to be coming with a few useful tweaks .... html5 isn't dependent on having vista/7/8 .. its down to which browser(s) you have installed

Why wait.....You can download 8.1 when it's released. It'll be a while before you can buy anything with 8.1 actually on it...
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of buying a new laptop but not keen on Win 8, which most seem to come preinstalled with.

How can I tell whether they have the 32bit version or the 64bit version?

I would strongly recommend trying Win8 on a touchscreen laptop first.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Why wait.....You can download 8.1 when it's released. It'll be a while before you can buy anything with 8.1 actually on it...

Whilst any new machine that comes with 8 preinstalled will definitely run 8.1, it's uncertain if it will be free (I think it will) or if it will require a payment.

There's a chance it may require payment but I doubt it would be anything more than a nominal amount e.g. £5 at most.

So, agreeing with call100, software would not be a reason to wait. Good reasons to wait do exist however, mainly on the hardware front: Intel Haswell and Bay Trail processors, inclusion of WiDi in machines, new and interesting form factors (as manufacturers continue to refine their ideas of hybrids and convertibles).

The majority of effort in 8.1 is about making the metro environment a lot better e.g. more flexibility around the snapping and more PC settings etc. Metro is of course a touch-first environment so I would buy a device with a touchscreen to make the most of the new enhancements.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    It's interesting to see people sneer at Windows 8 and praise Windows 7 - are people still not aware that underneath the optional Metro (or to use the correct term, Modern UI), the OS actually *IS* a faster, more stable version of the Win7 deployed code?

Do people actually think that the new interface is mandatory? It's optional - you can CHOOSE!

You can have the Win7 style (putting aside the start button issue for the moment) on Win8, which will be faster and more stable than Win7, or you can stay with the slower OS.

Hmmmm. Looks like a lot of people are basing opinions on looks rather than what it actually *is* and *does*.

Funny to see people criticise the Metro UI and then praise the Mac interface - they are both designed to be used by non-technical users, and that is their primary purpose by design.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Farmer Ted wrote: »
    Do people actually think that the new interface is mandatory? It's optional - you can CHOOSE!

It isn't and you can't, though 3rd party software using potentially deprecated code can currently hide most of Metro. There is no guarantee that this will remain the situation after future updates.

Complainants want Metro to be switchable, on or off, straight out of the Windows 8 "box". But it isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It isn't and you can't, though 3rd party software using potentially deprecated code can currently hide most of Metro. There is no guarantee that this will remain the situation after future updates.

Complainants want Metro to be switchable, on or off, straight out of the Windows 8 "box". But it isn't.

The MS developers in Bracknell disagree - here's what they use - give it a go.

Using Regedit (no 3rd party tools required)

1. Open the Regedit and navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    2. Expand it and find software, again expand then find Microsoft.
    3. Navigate to Windows->CurrentVersion->Explorer
    4. You will see RPenabled in right side of the registry key.
    Change the value from 1 to 0.
    5. Reboot

Voila - no Metro, no 3rd party tools.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Een if you don't want to install 3rd part interface or do what Farmer Ted has said you still don't need to use the metro interface other than clicking on Desktop when your PC boots up.
  • Options
    Forum Member

5. Reboot

That's a registry hack, very different from being an option in the usual sense of the word. For 99% of the population or more, it simply isn't an option and there's no chance that I'll be using it. Classic Shell will do for now.
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Een if you don't want to install 3rd part interface or do what Farmer Ted has said you still don't need to use the metro interface other than clicking on Desktop when your PC boots up.

That doesn't get the start button and menus back, which i use all the time (via a 3rd party interface). Nor does it get rid of the irritating charms.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5. Reboot

I had to try it, did not work. The entry was missing, I added it (DWORD),nothing, googled it, added it for current user, nothing. I have the latest updates, maybe they removed it?
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member

5. Reboot

That hasn't worked since before the CP.

Dave
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    All the complaints are wants not needs...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Rat wrote: »
    That hasn't worked since before the CP.

Dave

Odd. It works fine for me, on an official copy.

For d'@ve, fair enough, your point was that there was no way to do this without using 3rd party tools. There is, but you don't want to do it - which is your perogative, of course, and is entirely reasonable if you don't want to "open the bonnet".

I agree that it would be much better if MS offer a menu/Control Panel option to switch it off. Given the public's opposition to the UI change, I suspect that this will come sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    All the complaints are wants not needs...........

This is also true.

There are a lot of people saying that Windows 8 is "rubbish" or worse - but this is incorrect as it is actually very well built, fast and stable - as even some of its detractors have acknowledged. The sentiment should possibly be "I don't like it" rather than "this is junk".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd. It works fine for me, on an official copy.

For d'@ve, fair enough, your point was that there was no way to do this without using 3rd party tools. There is, but you don't want to do it - which is your perogative, of course, and is entirely reasonable if you don't want to "open the bonnet".

I agree that it would be much better if MS offer a menu/Control Panel option to switch it off. Given the public's opposition to the UI change, I suspect that this will come sooner rather than later.

Having to do a registry hack isn't a choice as it's clearly not intended for ordinary consumers to use. To paraphrase a certain starship officer, "It's choice, Ted, but not as we know it!". ;)

But anyway, I couldn't resist biting the bullet in the end, using my clean, rarely used second (dual-booted) copy of Windows 8, complete with Metro and with no 3rd party add-ons. The registry key you referred to does not exist. I tried to navigate it as described and I also searched the registry for it. Nothing, nada, zero, zilch, not in my copy of Windows RTM.

Now, I'm outta here [W8 copy 2], aargh it's all Metrified! Rebooting, fast! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having to do a registry hack isn't a choice as it's clearly not intended for ordinary consumers to use. To paraphrase a certain starship officer, "It's choice, Ted, but not as we know it!". ;)

But anyway, I couldn't resist biting the bullet in the end, using my clean, rarely used second (dual-booted) copy of Windows 8, complete with Metro and with no 3rd party add-ons. The registry key you referred to does not exist. I tried to navigate it as described and I also searched the registry for it. Nothing, nada, zero, zilch, not in my copy of Windows RTM.

Now, I'm outta here [W8 copy 2], aargh it's all Metrified! Rebooting, fast! :D

That's most odd. I apologise if I have sent you down a wild goose chase - that was not my intention. All I can say is it worked for me.

I'm confused now......