Options

Who else is fed up of seeing pulled pork?

Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am personally fed up of hearing it mentioned all the time. You see it every where these days, i really do not see the overall attraction of pulled pork.

Its OK but nothing special!, people seem obsessed with it!

Give me some belly pork any day!!!

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a fad.
    Next it will be Dragged Duck.
    Or Tugged Turkey :o:o:blush:.
    Come to think of it ..... Pulled Pork ...... snigger.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I had pulled pork was about 2 years ago. It was delicious. Since then everything be does it and it varies in quality and taste. Even Lidl and Aldi do it ready to eat.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Posted this the other week
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Pulled 'meat' seems to be the 'in thing' at the moment.

Supermarkets and restaurants selling pulled pork and shredded beef.

KFC with their pulled chicken. I tried that burger last week and wasn't impressed.

Tonight had the BK Pulled Pork Whopper. Again, not impressed. A regular Whopper would have been preferable.

You have to remember that shredded duck / beef has been a staple in Chinese restaurants/takeaway for years so the concept of slow cooked shredded (pulled) meat is nothing new really.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am fed up of seeing it too lol. The first time I tried it I thought it was ok. It just seems to be everywhere now. It is even in the fish and chips supplier magazine we get for my chippy. It's so expensive! They say you should give a 6 oz portion. And charge an arm and a leg for it lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    what does it look like, as i not sure ? also is it nice ?
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me! I slow cooked some pork loin for pulled pork dinners later in the week. Yum!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pulling the pork,
    Choking the chicken,
    Beating the meat.
    Whatever would Delia think? :blush:
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belly pork and ribs are the best forms of pork. Pulled pork is nice, but I prefer slow cooked beef, lamb and duck.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Pulling the pork,
    Choking the chicken,
    Beating the meat.
    Whatever would Delia think? :blush:

She'd pretty much think this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAC3NjIoQo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sipermarkets & resturants are happy with it because its a way to sell inferiot joints of meat at a premium price. Not a fan & it looks revolting.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks and taste are two different things. Take a pork shoulder. Season with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Slow roast or crock pot it until it is fall apart tender. Shred with a couple of forks and douse with BBQ sauce. Serve on a soft bread roll or with sides like coleslaw, potato salad, collard greens and candied yams and you have some mighty fine eating.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have been slow cooking meat for millennia!
    next big discovery - boiled eggs.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you be fed up of seeing it? Are you fed up of seeing pizza everywhere, or burgers, or fish and chips?

Done well it's a lovely thing, I had a pulled pork and nduja croquette as part of my meal in a restaurant and it was lovely, in another place I had a nice burger with it on too.

I've had rabbit done that way too and that was very good.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    The sipermarkets & resturants are happy with it because its a way to sell inferiot joints of meat at a premium price. Not a fan & it looks revolting.

Since when has shoulder of pork been an 'inferior joint'. It's been used for years and is superb for slow cooking.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since people started posting about it I've seen it in the supermarket but never bought any

If it wasn't for DS I'd have no idea it even existed
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want it, don't buy it! How can you be 'fed up' of it? It's there for people who want it, no one's forcing you to eat it! Can't you just get one of the other millions of alternatives?
  • Options
    MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the OP's point.

A decade ago hardly anyone outside of the USA heard of it. Cooked properly with the appropriate dry rub/ bbq sauce, there are few things more delicious. Nowadays it appears everywhere, in sandwiches, burgers and as toppings on pizza :o Every cuisine seems to be hopping on the "pulled" meat bandwagon.

On a daytrip to the beach, during the Easter heatwave ( a distant memory), a busy small restaurant was doing an all day bbq special. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with 'slaw. It bore little resemblance to the original southern states classic. It was a slice of grey white pork, still rolled up and intact, i.e not pulled, with fatty layer, gristle and no hint of spice or seasoning save for a tiny smear of bbq sauce on one side of the bread roll. Translation had obviously been lost somewhere along the line. >:(
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, us too. Pulled pork is in all restaurants too!
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariaella wrote: »
    I see the OP's point.

A decade ago hardly anyone outside of the USA heard of it. Cooked properly with the appropriate dry rub/ bbq sauce, there are few things more delicious.
    :(

Agree, it always looks good on those programmes on the Food Network but frankly most British interpretations are usually just cheap, greasy and insipid.
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want it, don't buy it! How can you be 'fed up' of it? It's there for people who want it, no one's forcing you to eat it! Can't you just get one of the other millions of alternatives?

It always seems over priced and its treated as its something amazing and special

Why cant they just slow roast and serve it properly. I have had it before (done at home) it is nice but its just "over egged"
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariaella wrote: »
    Translation had obviously been lost somewhere along the line. >:(

Same thing happened with the Upper Crust sarnie bar. I'd had pulled pork in the US and liked it. their version was pork chunks in some sickly bbq sauce. Not the same thing at all. But hey ho, it's a phase we're going through and it'll move on to another fad soon. For the food industry, it's probably just a way to save money by not having to turn MRP into something that looks like a meat slice.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Made it at the weekend - it was lovely. It's a great way to change up a pork roast, especially now the weather is getting warmer. Fresh coleslaw, little rolls and some potato wedges - yum.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Baby food for adults!

I bet a pork joint goes further in a restaurant when you shred it and serve small amounts in large fluffy mountains.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    subway have also just launched a barbecue pulled pork sub
    http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/

£3.69. That's 4 lunches for me at home
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Read this thread last night, then got the idea to pop into Lidl this afternoon to buy some Pulled Pork. Bought the one with apple sauce, picked up some of their potato salad in creme fraiche while I was there. :D