You don't have to spend the earth

FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
Forum Member
Having finally had enough of my iPad's slowness I picked up a Samsung Tab yesterday at a very good price. If I find it's not for me I have a couple of weeks in which to return it. :)

All I can say is WOW! Have Android tablets come a long way in the last couple of years! Responsive high res screens, good OS (though I already new that from my Android phone) plus very good build quality.

All this stuff about the Apple eco system - yes maybe, but this also applies to Google and Android. I was up and running within a couple of minutes and everything that is on my phone was suddenly on the Samsung Tab. It really was as easy as that.

Had I been in the market for a slightly smaller tablet the one that really blew me out of the water for price versus quality was the Tesco Hudl2. How on earth Tesco can sell a tablet of that build quality with a full HD IPS screen for £129 is beyond me.

All I would say to those who think they have to spend upwards of £400 to get a decent tablet such as an iPad is look again, especially if it's main use is likely to be simply for browsing, email and some catchup TV.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2011 iPad 2 versus 2014 tablets. Hmmm.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    2011 iPad 2 versus 2014 tablets. Hmmm.

Not sure what point you're making. I'm simply saying that due to competition things have come a long way since 2011 and for the average user there's no longer any need to spend serious money on a Tablet.

There are lots of other options besides an iPad.

If you disagree then perhaps you should explain.
  • BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Not sure what point you're making. I'm simply saying that due to competition things have come a long way since 2011 and for the average user there's no longer any need to spend serious money on a Tablet.

If you disagree then perhaps you should explain.

I know what you mean. I got a 2013 Nexus 7 last year. It works so well,with its 4g plan, there is literally nothing I would change on it. I doubt I'll be in the market for a new tablet for a long time. And it was £199! Though every one has different needs, its size, capacity, processor, screen, are exactly what I needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They get hooked by the brand, the same with other brands but iPad's and their phones are significantly more expensive.

I've used Samsung product's for year's now, great performance.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    They get hooked by the brand, the same with other brands but iPad's and their phones are significantly more expensive.

I've used Samsung product's for year's now, great performance.

So you are hooked on Samsung like some people are hooked on Apple :p
    Forum Member
    I tend to look for price versus features, along with reputation for reliability and build. When I say features, I mean features that I am likely to use.

I liken it to staying in hotels. There is no point in me staying in a 5 star hotel if those stars relate to a gym, health spa and children's facilities if I'm not likely to use any of them. A good 3 star hotel which is clean, comfortable, with a good meal menu will suffice.

It isn't an easy task by any means though as there is now a plethora of slates in the market place. Some are very good whilst some should go straight to land fill. Reviews don't help much either as most nit pick things that really don't make that much difference in real world use e.g. pixel count.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Faust, where did you buy it that gave you 2 weeks return T&Cs? I'm so tired of the ipad. Terrible keyboards and crashes all the time. Only thing I love is its display
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/04/los-angeles-school-district-demands-multi-million-dollar-refund-from-apple

I would't really blame Apple here. It is likely to b dick heads in charge of issuing yet another ill fated, back of a **** packet IT contract, to blame, as per usual.

Actually knowing what you are doing is certainly more useful than a deep purse.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    You could spend even less and get full windows 8 on a tablet .... Linx 8 ..... Under £100 .... Jus' sayin' :)
    Forum Member
    Faust, where did you buy it that gave you 2 weeks return T&Cs? I'm so tired of the ipad. Terrible keyboards and crashes all the time. Only thing I love is its display

Tesco 😃. Having said all that, this weeks iOS update has improved things no end on the iPad. :o
  • My TimeMy Time Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Bagov wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I got a 2013 Nexus 7 last year. It works so well,with its 4g plan, there is literally nothing I would change on it. I doubt I'll be in the market for a new tablet for a long time. And it was £199! Though every one has different needs, its size, capacity, processor, screen, are exactly what I needed.

I've the Nexus 7 (2012) and it's become more laggy after every update.
    You might be being a little optimistic about the longevity of your 2013 model.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The data is there for the Nexus 7.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/lollipop-on-the-2012-nexus-7-not-great-but-not-much-worse/

That very slow boot hints that far more memory has been used up.
    Roll it back if it don't suit!
  • My TimeMy Time Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The data is there for the Nexus 7.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/lollipop-on-the-2012-nexus-7-not-great-but-not-much-worse/

That very slow boot hints that far more memory has been used up.
    Roll it back if it don't suit!

Thanks for that.
    I didn't mention the never-ending boot time but obviously you're familiar with it.
    A quick google shows the rollback to be slightly more complex than I'd want.
    I use Linux so I'm comfortable with command lines but thought it might be simpler.
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having finally had enough of my iPad's slowness I picked up a Samsung Tab yesterday at a very good price. If I find it's not for me I have a couple of weeks in which to return it. :)

All I can say is WOW! Have Android tablets come a long way in the last couple of years! Responsive high res screens, good OS (though I already new that from my Android phone) plus very good build quality.

All this stuff about the Apple eco system - yes maybe, but this also applies to Google and Android. I was up and running within a couple of minutes and everything that is on my phone was suddenly on the Samsung Tab. It really was as easy as that.

Had I been in the market for a slightly smaller tablet the one that really blew me out of the water for price versus quality was the Tesco Hudl2. How on earth Tesco can sell a tablet of that build quality with a full HD IPS screen for £129 is beyond me.

All I would say to those who think they have to spend upwards of £400 to get a decent tablet such as an iPad is look again, especially if it's main use is likely to be simply for browsing, email and some catchup TV.

Thanks for the advice Faust. I'm thinking of buying a tablet but not sure which one as there is so much choice. Lots of features I wouldn't use. I'm not very technical minded so just want it for browsing, emails, ebay etc. Can I ask which Samsung tablet model you recommend? And what size? Many thanks.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have become increasingly frustrated with my IPad mini 2 due to its slowness especially loading certain sites or hanging that my next tablet will be android.
    Forum Member
    redcherry wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Faust. I'm thinking of buying a tablet but not sure which one as there is so much choice. Lots of features I wouldn't use. I'm not very technical minded so just want it for browsing, emails, ebay etc. Can I ask which Samsung tablet model you recommend? And what size? Many thanks.

If you're not likely to be using it for a lot of catch-up TV then you could do worse than check out the hudl2. If you are going to watch catch-up regularly then a 10 inch screen e.g. Samsung Tab 4 or if you want to push the boat out the outgoing Sony Z2. That really is a good bit of kit at a good price now.