Options

Could The Decision For Fleur To Sing Uptown Funk Rebound On Simon Cowell?

ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
Forum Member
✭✭
Obviously it was an inspired decision by Cowell to let Fleur sing Uptown Funk which had only started to gather interest with pent up demand for the song and with it not being scheduled for release until January 11th. But the record company was obviously not going to let the Fleur version eat into any potential sales of the original version and decided to strike while the iron was hot with the late Monday decision to release the song straight away. The decision has proved right with the song quickly getting a huge lead on Itunes.
But this is possibly going to prove a headache for Cowell as sales could prove too high for the X Factor Winners single to overtake next week especially if it compares to last years first week sales for Sam Bailey.
Will Simon come to regret his inspired move? I think he just might. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Obviously it was an inspired decision by Cowell to let Fleur sing Uptown Funk which had only started to gather interest with pent up demand for the song and with it not being scheduled for release until January 11th. But the record company was obviously not going to let the Fleur version eat into any potential sales of the original version and decided to strike while the iron was hot with the late Monday decision to release the song straight away. The decision has proved right with the song quickly getting a huge lead on Itunes.
    But this is possibly going to prove a headache for Cowell as sales could prove too high for the X Factor Winners single to overtake next week especially if it compares to last years first week sales for Sam Bailey.
    Will Simon come to regret his inspired move? I think he just might. ;-)

Keep clutching at straws. It does make me laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? This is a legitimate question that is already being asked on music forums elsewhere.
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. I'm sure the majority of people buying Uptown Funk are going to do it this week now that it's out. I'm pretty sure that the majority of single sales happen in the first week. By the time the winner's single is released next week the sales will probably have died down enough that it won't be much of a threat to the X Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it. I'm sure the majority of people buying Uptown Funk are going to do it this week now that it's out. I'm pretty sure that the majority of single sales happen in the first week. By the time the winner's single is released next week the sales will probably have died down enough that it won't be much of a threat to the X Factor.

I am sure people said the same about Happy,Get Lucky and Blurred Lines. ;-)
  • Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's all looking a bit of a mess. But also a bit more promo for Fleur.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'd Imagine the winners single will sell at least 250k in its opening week. Uptown Funk will manage 200k this week max. More likely 100k. The highest sales for a #1 (excluding Band Aid) this year are 160k. X Factor single will beat that and Uptown Funk will struggle to get above that especially with radio only just getting on board.
  • Options
    Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on

A) Who wins
    B) How good the winners song is
    C) How it is promoted

The hype from Uptown Funk will die down within the week or 2.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winners single getting to #1 doesn't really matter - especially if the song keeping it off is one which will now be synonymous with X Factor. That performance and that moment will obviously be worth far more to him than his 250th #1 (or whatever number he's on now). The Fleur effect was something new and exciting. And I suspect the winners single will probably still top the charts anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The winners single getting to #1 doesn't really matter - especially if the song keeping it off is one which will now be synonymous with X Factor. That performance and that moment will obviously be worth far more to him than his 250th #1 (or whatever number he's on now). The Fleur effect was something new and exciting. And I suspect the winners single will probably still top the charts anyway.

^_^

I am quickly heading towards an Andrea contingency vote..
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^_^

I am quickly heading towards an Andrea contingency vote..

Good luck with that one. He is 14/1 to win. .
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Well last year Sam Bailey got to #1 with Skyscraper (a terrible song choice that just didn't suit Sam at all, and I thought Sam was a great singer - just not the makings of a pop diva).

Skyscraper sold 107k to be #1 for Christmas. However, Pharrel's Happy wasn't far behind and had the OCC been including streaming sales, Happy would've been the Xmas #1 last year.

So Uptown Funk! may well prove to be an unexpected challenger for the Xmas #1. Sure, it's not a Christmas song but it's a proper party track that's gonna get played loads over Christmas and New Years Eve parties across the UK.

In fact, the week after Christmas I fully expect Uptown Funk! to be #1 on massive sales as that's when everyone starts using their iTunes gift cards they got as Xmas presents.

Last year, Simon Cowell was determined to make Demi Lovato successful (for obvious reasons ;) ) and I'm convinced this was why Sam Bailey was given Skyscraper after Demi's version failed to top the charts.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame in some ways that Fleur performed this on Saturday. It's a decent tune and would definitely have been #1 in it's own right but there will now always be the whole 'only because of XF' speculation about the songs success
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Man you guys don't do yourselves any favours sometimes..
  • Options
    Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANY of them can win it really does Depend on the performances anyone can Jump ship
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea how these things work.

Sounds like a complete hijack. :confused:
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

Ah, Jeref being as pleasant as always I see. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANY of them can win it really does Depend on the performances anyone can Jump ship

Thank you Eva.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Do you seriously think Cowell cares about how many 79p downloads the winner's single sells?
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member

You obviously didn't read the post.

Not the first time, either.