Options

Rail seating

Comments

• Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would able-bodied adult fans want to sit down at a football match? It's not the ballet. No wonder the atmosphere in English stadiums is so crap nowadays.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Why would able-bodied adult fans want to sit down at a football match? It's not the ballet. No wonder the atmosphere in English stadiums is so crap nowadays.

Same reason people sit at Rugby and concerts.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have never been to a rugby match, but only very lame people sit at concerts (unless it's classical music)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why people would want to stand when you can sit, I have no desire at all to go back to standing like I did in the Gallowgate end at St James' Park.

It'll encourage even more bad language and behaviour when these people aren't as easy to identify as they would be whilst sitting.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What have two very different events got to do with anything?

Any more random events to mention?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    I can't understand why people would want to stand when you can sit, I have no desire at all to go back to standing like I did in the Gallowgate end at St James' Park.

It'll encourage even more bad language and behaviour when these people aren't as easy to identify as they would be whilst sitting.

I can swear sitting down as well.

Lots of people have mastered that nowadays.

Lots of people cannot understand why you would want to sit down while watching football

Its about providing people with the choice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been to a rugby match, but only very lame people sit at concerts (unless it's classical music)

So it's lame to sit at a gig at the O2 arena?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    What have two very different events got to do with anything?

Any more random events to mention?

People use to stand at gigs pre big door arena days.

Things move on.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Safe Standing areas in grounds will be far better than what we have, as currently most grounds have a seated section that the whole crowd stand up for the entire match. People will then know if they are in a seated or standing area (you can't sit down if everyone else around you stands at the mo!) and i've been in areas of grounds where everyone stands and when we score someone often will fall forward down onto the seat in front, which is too easy to do when standing in a seated area.

Safe standing ares work because when buying a ticket everyone is still designated to a specific spot (row & number), so security and cctv inside a ground can still identify exactly who is the troublemaker in the very unlikely event of something kicking off
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play there's some proper bollocks being spouted in here.

"Offensive flags" ffs. I thought that was a wind-up at first, then I saw who came out with it.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer sitting, but nothing to do with atmosphere or getting into it, I just prefer to sit. It's why I can't do music festivals, that and all the camping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People use to stand at gigs pre big door arena days.

Things move on.

Are we discussing gigs? No

BTW I have been to many gigs recently at big arenas and guess what

I stood
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No idea, been to O2 many times and never say down
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still convinced the standers in seats will sit down if this comes to pass
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I prefer sitting, but nothing to do with atmosphere or getting into it, I just prefer to sit. It's why I can't do music festivals, that and all the camping.

havent you heard?

it aint ballet:D:D:D
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People stood at football games for years before Hillsborough and still do at away games. It's a tradition many people want to see return in the way of Safe Standing areas. People stand at Rugby and Concerts too. Ok you get the idiots who push at gigs and it creates a "wave" which if you are at the front, is a crush. That wouldn't happen with safe standing as you rightly pointed out, but those nasty flag attracting barriers would prevent this.

There is more chance of a rush of people when seats are in place. The backs are low and there is nothing stopping people stepping over them and moving forward. Again, barriers would prevent this.

Back to the point about Flags and barriers, the people stood in-front of the barriers (as there is a barrier in front of every person) would hide this racist flag you seem to think it'll attract.

I've seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers twice, once standing (in a seated area) and another actually sat down in a seated area. The atmosphere at the first gig (stood up) was far better, as everyone was stood up, singing, dancing etc... the other was very dull in comparison.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    they dont HAVE to stand though. they are the ones making it dangerous.

But they do stand. That's kind of the point I am making.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Depends who you are seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What is your evidence to suggest this? Can't wait to hear it.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Singer songwriter stuff is usually much better in a seated environment too. 2 hours of standing still kills my back.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loathe sitting at a footie match, and am glad that the issue is at last being discussed.

When the grandkids were younger, we sat in the family seating area, but my grand daughters begged to go to the standing area as they want to get nearer the action. Even if packed the other fans always made room for us so the kids could see the game.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really think if people stood up it would make them use more bad language ? If so, do you think teams do away with stewards/police once safe standing is introduced ?

If people want to swear, I don't think a seat will be the deciding factor...
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the concern is that it's easier to duck under or climb over a navel-height barrier with someone standing just in front of it than it is to step over a seat with someone sitting in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the concern is that it's easier to duck under or climb over a navel-height barrier with someone standing just in front of it than it is to step over a seat with someone sitting in it.

You couldn't duck under the barriers as there is a seat there (it's just locked in a upright position)
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if there's going to be a seat AND standing room in front won't it require each tier to be wider to accommodate both?

At the moment at some grounds there's barely enough room for your legs if you're fairly tall. Won't that interpretation of 'safe-standing' require a lot more room if we're going from:

Chair+(barely any) legroom

to

Chair + standing room.

Presumably the standing room would need to be more than what's currently allocated as legroom, necessitating a widening of the 'step'

Grounds in Germany may be different, as they've always had to include provision for standing they may well make each row wider to accommodate both. In England where every ground post 1990 has only has to consider seating, there might not be room without massive restructuring work.

For example this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg

That looks like a massive amount of leg room compared to what you'd get at most English grounds. At least the older ones, not sure about the Emirates, Wembley etc, but I don't think you touch that for leg room at OT unless you took out every other row of seating

Look:

https://gibbos92.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/p1190244.jpg

So if every row of seating was removed and it was still '1 person per seat' (regardless if they sat down) wouldn't safe standing in most grounds dramatically reduce capacity in areas therefore lessening income?