Options

British television drama budget falls by almost 50% in 7 years

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
While I don't think the news that there is much less home made drama on the main channels is a shock that the budget has fallen 44% and the output in hours by 41% shows just how bad things are and why the prime time slots are increasingly full of cheaper so called "reality" formats and lightweight documentaries.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/02/uk-tv-drama-budgets-slashed-bbc-itv-channel-4

Comments

• Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed...which is why the licence fee needs to increase. The BBC is the primary provider of original UK content.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unusual for ITV to get carpeted like that, but it's a huge drop in drama spending from ITV, and a very poor show from all the commercial PSBs when it comes to children's television.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33360707
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's how the world is changing. People can access drama from all over the entire planet now, so just insisting the BBC keeps making drama won't stop people watching content from other sources. The internet television revolution can not be put back in the bottle. It's out there now and its getting bigger.

Holding on to this old fashioned idea of taking £3.7 billion off people to make programmes most of the people will never bother to watch is just a total waste of money. It's no longer BBC vs ITV like the old days.

It's BBC vs everything the internet and technology has to offer. So its unrealistic to expect people to give up everything else they love and sit around the TV with their family like its 1972 again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unusual for ITV to get carpeted like that, but it's a huge drop in drama spending from ITV, and a very poor show from all the commercial PSBs when it comes to children's television.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33360707

How do the commercial channels keep their licences? That's what I'd like to know.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    once the bbc is destroyed, sky will be "ecomomically free" to make lots of british drama, more than replacing this decline. As murdoch has told us for the last 35 years .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its no longer bbc vs itv like the old days. Now its 50 shades of grey vs youtube cat videos. Lets face it, the bbc is useless at both of these ..........
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Now its 50 shades of grey vs youtube cat videos. Lets face it, the bbc is useless at both of these ..........

Have they ever made anything similar to those examples?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    What I found slightly depressing was that the BBC now accounts for something like 90%+ of spend on new UK produced childrens content.

I remember back when ITV and C4 had an investment in making such programmes.

It demonstrates how much we do need a PSB who isn't concerned with purely commercial concerns (IIRC ITV dropped most of it's kids programming when they stopped being able to show adverts for things like frosties, Sunny D, and toys during it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they ever made anything similar to those examples?

off top of my head ....... tipping the velvet (mild erotica but for lesbian minority), oranges not the only fruit with notorious underage sex scene ..... hmmm, thats more lesbian action .... poldark recently which some saw as a "woman pleaser" (the original doesnt mention oiled male torsos and sixpacks) ...... this be not my glass of tea but im sure there is stuff ....... unfortunately, mary whitehouse left us some years ago, she was a great guide on what to watch, if she complained then it was worth a look .......

.......... "ever"? I certainly remember Cassanova, the 50 shades of its time, now free on youtube ........ just had a scroll, there is some mild nudity although made in 71 wd u believe .....
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    How do the commercial channels keep their licences? That's what I'd like to know.

ITV is more or less handed theirs these days , ITV seem to make hardly any drama any more compared to the old days , you will probably get one drama on a Sunday and maybe on one other night but recently other than a Sunday night there has been sod all drama on weekdays during prime time ( apart from Doc Martin repeats on a Friday)
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than read those cherry picked for bad news reports from the biased BBC and The Gaurdian, read the Ofcom statement...

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/psb-review-3/statement/PSB_Review_3_Statement.pdf
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know how much is wasted on reality shows. Unlike a good drama, these can never be repeated, have little potential as DVDs( a massive box set of Big Brother would be unlikely) and come and go with little comment. Also this type of television has quite a narrow appeal, it's mostly watched by young women and teenagers, whereas a really big drama like Doctor Who has an appeal across all age groups. Something like Love Island will probably be cancelled this summer and its six weeks worth of programming stuffed in a vault or deleted as no one would want to watch it again.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about all the stunning drama Sky makes? Oh wait...
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about all the stunning drama Sky makes? Oh wait...
    Or all the new content we were promised when Richard Desmond bought Channel 5. All we got was a revival of a clapped out reality show and their only contribution to drama is to show two ancient Australian soaps no one watches.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed...which is why the licence fee needs to increase. The BBC is the primary provider of original UK content.

No, it should be cut to just £95 and the BBC just make do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    No, it should be cut to just £95 and the BBC just make do.

...and how does this benefit the nation? We need to understand that taking money out isn't the answer. Invest is the only way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I'd love to know how much is wasted on reality shows. Unlike a good drama, these can never be repeated, have little potential as DVDs( a massive box set of Big Brother would be unlikely) and come and go with little comment. Also this type of television has quite a narrow appeal, it's mostly watched by young women and teenagers, whereas a really big drama like Doctor Who has an appeal across all age groups. Something like Love Island will probably be cancelled this summer and its six weeks worth of programming stuffed in a vault or deleted as no one would want to watch it again.

Some reality TV can be repeated, have you not seen ITV Be's schedule?

And you say that like advertisers want all ages, the generally accepted theory is that advertisers want shows that skew younger, and as I understand it, young women is a demographic they especially want. This happens to a far worse extent in the US though, where a show with 10m viewers can be justifiably cancelled purely because it only appeals to older people.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not really fussed as Drama is not the only genre on TV, Less can be good if they are better quality dramas.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and how does this benefit the nation? We need to understand that taking money out isn't the answer. Invest is the only way.

The private sector takes care of most of our needs, the BBC should only make the "public service" crap that nobody wants to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The private sector takes care of most of our needs, the BBC should only make the "public service" crap that nobody wants to see.

I disagree totally. The private sector does not take care of our needs nor should it. The private sector is all about 'do it as cheaply as possible to maximise profit'. Not acceptable.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The words of a barbarian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I disagree totally. The private sector does not take care of our needs nor should it. The private sector is all about 'do it as cheaply as possible to maximise profit'. Not acceptable.

If you weren't watching, they wouldn't be making. It may not be about the public's needs, but it's certainly about their wants...
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    It's how the world is changing. People can access drama from all over the entire planet now, so just insisting the BBC keeps making drama won't stop people watching content from other sources. The internet television revolution can not be put back in the bottle. It's out there now and its getting bigger.

Holding on to this old fashioned idea of taking £3.7 billion off people to make programmes most of the people will never bother to watch is just a total waste of money. It's no longer BBC vs ITV like the old days.

It's BBC vs everything the internet and technology has to offer. So its unrealistic to expect people to give up everything else they love and sit around the TV with their family like its 1972 again.

?….. It couldn't have been any different in 1992. Even 2002 was very similar.