baggs and liz should have stayed, stella fired

totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Setella showed everyone in the last episode and the one before that she is not apprentice material, she is too one dimensional and corporate, she is really the epitome of the cautious carol, great with planning and number crunching but when the proverbial s**t hits the fan, she's completely clueless. Running around like a headless chicken not knowing what to do.

She did a very bad job of the tour, getting lost, and generally a very poor guide.

The only reason why Liz didn't get fired is because the task was a selling task, and she completely abstained from any selling responsibility. So to firing her oculd not have been justified at that point.

A lot of people are saying baggs sdhould have gone. IMO he would have but that plea on the boardroom was just amazing, he gets it, he has the true entreprenual sprirt. Whether any of what he says is true or not is debatable, but he convinced me, and certainly convined Alan Sugar of it.

The truth is that Liz became a spectator and just fell back into her seat and just gave up because baggs just nailed it with his little speech, if she had fought a little bit more and had a bit more hunge for the role, she could have fought her corner, and then the spotlight would have been on Stella to prove that she was apprentice material.

Comments

• The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sugar admires her for her quick thinking, the way she tactfully comes to a decision and its usually the right one, I also think he fancies her.
  • fruit_cakefruit_cake Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Stella says things as they are, Stuart makes them up and Liz doesn't say anything at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella is far superior business woman that Liz imo,

Liz is a classic business degree student with little imagination and no ability to think outside of the box..

Stella a bit corporate yes, but has showed more than Liz has.
    depend's on what your looking for but i wouldn't employee Liz for anything other than a sales job, thats about as far as she's ever going to get imo.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totalwise wrote: »
    She did a very bad job of the tour, getting lost, and generally a very poor guide.

Good jobs he's probably not looking for a new tour guide then.

Seeing as she wasn't repsonsible for overpricing the tickets, then running around like a child trying to undercut their opponents, I don't see how she was responsible for the failure of the task.
  • tonyslim99tonyslim99 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    There is no way she should of been fired this week. It shoul dhave ben Stuart/ He cocked up the pricing and the pitch to the information office. Having said that I think he has been kept in for the interviews which should be great tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setella showed everyone in the last episode and the one before that she is not apprentice material, she is too one dimensional and corporate, she is really the epitome of the cautious carol, great with planning and number crunching but when the proverbial s**t hits the fan, she's completely clueless. Running around like a headless chicken not knowing what to do.

The only reason why Liz didn't get fired is because the task was a selling task, and she completely abstained from any selling responsibility. So to firing her oculd not have been justified at that point.

A lot of people are saying baggs sdhould have gone. IMO he would have but that plea on the boardroom was just amazing, he gets it, he has the true entreprenual sprirt. Whether any of what he says is true or not is debatable, but he convinced me, and certainly convined Alan Sugar of it.

The truth is that Liz became a spectator and just fell back into her seat and just gave up because baggs just nailed it with his little speech, if she had fought a little bit more and had a bit more hunge for the role, she could have fought her corner, and then the spotlight would have been on Stella to prove that she was apprentice material.

Stella should have not gone, they did not fail for any other reason other than ticket sales and she cannot be blamed for that. Stuart should have gone plain and simple, he under performed in the task and has underperformed in the past few weeks compared to the two other women.

He was bascially kept in for "entertainment" value, I'm not buying that "good' speech crap we all know why he's still there and its not for his talent
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's remarkable how little focus was put on Stella in that boardroom. It's hard to avoid the feeling that she was never really considered firing; that it was always between Suart and Liz. In the Final Five show tonight, the "company line" seemed to be that the tour bus task had been a success for Stella, who had overcome the stuffy and corporate image by unbending and showing her fun side. That's not what I saw, but that seems to be what they wanted us to see.

Stuart should have gone, both judged on that task, where he made the crucial errors and behaved unprofessionally, and on the series as a whole, where he hasn't done as well overall as Liz or Stella. His speech in the boardroom just made him look like a glib-mouthed gobsh*te to me, but that sort of thing seems to go down with Lord Sugar. Liz indicated on You're Fired that when she heard that speech she just lost heart; she knew then, I think, that she was gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I have to say I am bit confused about why being "corporate" is seen as a bad thing, I've always understood corporate to mean professional, if he is looking for someone to slot in to his company then Stella is the favourite.

I expect that Stella will win but that Sugar will invest in Stuart but keep him away from the centre, he would be mad to just let him pass. I was very impressed to hear about his IT skills, gives him another depth- he can actually create, he doesn't rely on other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I think he made the right decision.

Stella was not even given any sort of consideration into being fired after the incident near the start of the boardroom meeting. Sugar accused her of taking the easy way out of the task, implying that she had jumped at the chance to be the tour guide purely because she knew it didn't involve selling tickets, which ultimately proved the area where this task relied on the most. Stella explained that she didn't see it this way, and insisted that she had "thrown herself" into this area of the task because of Sugar's accusation of her being 'wooden and corporate', and that she wanted to show a side of her that was much more fun and engaging.

I think after this, Sugar recognised that Stella had taken note of past criticism and taken steps to improve these areas (much like Joanna did, week 1 onwards). There was nothing more to fire her for to be honest, it was obvious that the group had failed the task on the basis of selling tickets at such a high price (which Liz originally suggested actually), and since Stella had no involvement in this, Sugar couldn't really have seen much reason to fire her - her past performances are also very good - 7 out of 10 wins.

I think Stuart survived because of, as others have mentioned, his plea in the boardroom, which, as Lord Sugar pointed out, he may cringe at when he watches it back, but it ultimately was the reason he was saved and Liz fired (she did near nothing to dissuade Sugar from being convinced by Stuart's plea).
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member

Not sure Stella has one dimension - though she still may be more capable than the rest of the last 5. The Last 5 show set her up as competent and capable of seeing the big picture - but she's made two catastrophic basic maths errors on whats meant to be her strong suite and she missed the point of the task more than anyone last week and came up with a dud idea this week.

That said, she didn't do anything like enough this week to justify being sacked. Lord Sugar could only get there if he blamed her for the theme - which he didn't - or if he ignored the task and concluded she had done less well than Liz, or if he realised that Stuart was talking nonsense or was trying to play him. The raw stats don't show that Liz is better and he's not equipped to spot or value the differences between the two females and he's asucker for the "I am like you" play.

Someone else then has to go and its seems, from reports, his Lordship is welling up listening to Stuart, so its not him. There's nothing Liz can do about that - except to point out that Stuart is talking drivel and to tell his Lordship he's being stupid enough to see something there that isn't there.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella did what SIralan and Nick told her too. She showed the other side to her character. Liz has been the same average person throughout the process. SHe should have copied Stuart and went out all guns blazing. STella could have been sitting their with a cigar and her feet up she was a spectator in that boardroom. He even asked Stella what she thought of Stuart!
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only someone who fancies Liz would have kept her in. Get over it boys there are plenty more like her out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Why does everyone go on about the 'theme'. What is wrong with it. To a tourist who wants to see London what does he care if its cockney or not. They sold themselves more tickets than Joanaa's team with their 'good' theme. Since they had a 3/4pm bus.
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notary wrote: »
    Why does everyone go on about the 'theme'. What is wrong with it.

I've wondered that.

Several people have talked about 'Stella's rubbish theme' as if it were a fact but on what authority I don't know.

And faulting her for not being able to run an immaculate tour with just one day's planning is ridiculous.

True Jamie did a better job of clowning it up to cover up his lack of knowledge but Stella put in a creditable effort.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    I've wondered that.

Several people have talked about 'Stella's rubbish theme' as if it were a fact but on what authority I don't know.

And faulting her for not being able to run an immaculate tour with just one day's planning is ridiculous.

True Jamie did a better job of clowning it up to cover up his lack of knowledge but Stella put in a creditable effort.

Well, you've gotta show that 'spark' haven't you.