The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Death doesn't happen that often on the Americans but when it does it's shockingly brutal. Nina's death was inevitable but the way it was done chilled me.

Top marks to Annet Mahendru who played Nina. Wonderful nuanced performance who can display vulnerability and strength at the same time.

How this show is not more successful baffles me.

A pity but the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her character for some time.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    A pity but the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her character for some time.

Too bad they didn't get rid of Martha sooner, and Paige immediately.

On Season 3, interesting that Amazon Prime is showing it in the U.S. I wonder why.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they'll release Season 3 on DVD? (I know no one buys DVDs any more blah blah blah - just a question.)

That is how I watched season 3 - on DVD, I bought it on DVD because at the time ITV said they did not intend to show it at all (but then of course proceeded to show it on ITV Encore).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Death doesn't happen that often on the Americans but when it does it's shockingly brutal. Nina's death was inevitable but the way it was done chilled me.

Top marks to Annet Mahendru who played Nina. Wonderful nuanced performance who can display vulnerability and strength at the same time.

How this show is not more successful baffles me.
    :confused: Erm people are dying in it all the time - usually at the hands of Phil & Liz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who was the 'priest' from El Salvador?:confused: Mind you - a clever move by Phil & Liz in their attempts to win over Tim & Alice. I also liked that the dodgy goings on of the US government were highlighted - as the show was in a little bit of danger of portraying one side as good & the other as evil; the Americans are no saints!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D That was funny when Liz said Ronald Reagan looked like a clown - before she said it I looked at his cheeks & thought that his make-up artist had put on too much blusher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaaaaaargh, I can't wait till next week to find out what happens!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That poor rat!:cry: Vivisection is evil!>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz is sooooooooo jealous of Martha.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that Martha's told Gabriel that she knows he's in the KGB, I'm worried about her physical health.
    I know that Philip wants to keep her safe, but with her leaving the safe house, and wandering through the streets in the confused state she's in, the threat could be that the FBI find her, and I'm not sure Philip and co can take that risk. I don't know what happens, but if they find her, they could kill her in order to keep her mouth shut.

It's such a great series, it's a shame it's not given more attention.

On a side note, the previous week's episode with Philip and Elizabeth in bed at the end, was really erotic. They could have been doing it for real, considering the actors are together in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really thought that Martha was going to step out in to the road & get knocked down & killed by a car. It's unclear (to me anyway) whether Martha thinks that Phil/Liz/Gabriel are Americans working for the KGB or actual Soviet citizens. I can't believe that after what happened with the first sample that they're handling another one, btw what did happen to the sample that leaked - was it burned?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Martha should have handed herself in to the authorities; I don't understand her commitment to 'Clark' - he's lied to her & put her liberty & even her life at risk, yes he cares about her but is she really so gullible that she believes he loves her? If I was her then I'd want revenge on him. Initially she believed Clark was working for the American government & she believed what she was doing was patriotic, the authorities would recognise the extreme manipulation she was subjected to & whilst she'd have to go to jail for a while - I don't think it would be forever (or maybe I'm as naïve as Martha). She's not a communist & she doesn't speak Russian, so I don't envisage her enjoying living in the Soviet Union.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I think that Martha should have handed herself in to the authorities; I don't understand her commitment to 'Clark' - he's lied to her & put her liberty & even her life at risk, yes he cares about her but is she really so gullible that she believes he loves her? If I was her then I'd want revenge on him. Initially she believed Clark was working for the American government & she believed what she was doing was patriotic, the authorities would recognise the extreme manipulation she was subjected to & whilst she'd have to go to jail for a while - I don't think it would be forever (or maybe I'm as naïve as Martha). She's not a communist & she doesn't speak Russian, so I don't envisage her enjoying living in the Soviet Union.
    I don't think she'll be speaking anything soon.:o
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Was there any particular reason for Elizabeth to meet Martha at the park? Surely there was no need for (what happened) had Liz waited and just let Phillip pick her up?

Sorry if I missed something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I don't think she'll be speaking anything soon.:o

Wasn't expecting her to survive either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect we've seen the last of Martha, which is disappointing to me as I want to see how she gets on in Russia; as a child who grew up in Thatcher's Britain I have the view that Moscow in the Soviet era was a dark & gloomy & dreary & depressing place, incidentally I wonder why she couldn't stay in Cuba with all those nice beaches - I can just imagine Martha sipping cocktails by the sea.

I can't remember who the alcoholic woman was & what her role was, it was odd bringing her back just to have her killed off - I think there would be better ways to show Liz's fatigue with murdering people & it getting to her.

Liz was absolutely right about EST & how it was all a money-grabbing exercise, mind you the prison analogy the guy used was spot on for a lot of people - but I doubt if he was a qualified psychologist....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the way Martha looked wistfully at the jar of peanut butter resulting in Phil looking ashamed/regretful/guilty, are we to assume that there was no peanut butter in Russia in the 1980s?
    Forum Member
    Wasn't expecting her to survive either.
    But will she survive, without peanut butter.

Did feel sorry for 'John boy'.(65) and Paige following orders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect we've seen the last of Martha, which is disappointing to me as I want to see how she gets on in Russia; as a child who grew up in Thatcher's Britain I have the view that Moscow in the Soviet era was a dark & gloomy & dreary & depressing place, incidentally I wonder why she couldn't stay in Cuba with all those nice beaches - I can just imagine Martha sipping cocktails by the sea.

I can't remember who the alcoholic woman was & what her role was, it was odd bringing her back just to have her killed off - I think there would be better ways to show Liz's fatigue with murdering people & it getting to her.

Liz was absolutely right about EST & how it was all a money-grabbing exercise, mind you the prison analogy the guy used was spot on for a lot of people - but I doubt if he was a qualified psychologist....

If the writers couldn't come up with an interesting storyline for Nina in Russia they'd struggle with Martha even more?

(Still baffled they chose to kill Nina off rather than bring her back into the main storyline).

Didn't realise EST was a real programme, had assumed it was fictional.

Surprised it's on again next week, had the feel of a final episode.
    Forum Member
    If the writers couldn't come up with an interesting storyline for Nina in Russia they'd struggle with Martha even more?

(Still baffled they chose to kill Nina off rather than bring her back into the main storyline).

Didn't realise EST was a real programme, had assumed it was fictional.

Surprised it's on again next week, had the feel of a final episode.
    Did feel like a final episode - but that was the 8th ep, 13 all together in this season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree, it did feel like a final episode but It might have been a mid season finale which they sometimes do in America.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how is Liz going to blackmail Don? She would need photos of him naked in her bed, we did not see her take any photos, maybe she did & we are to just assume that photos exist - however it would have been handy to see her with a camera.:confused:

I didn't realise that Phil was still involved with the daughter of the CIA guy.

That was a bit selfish of Pastor Tim to bugger off to Ethiopia when his wife is about to give birth.
  • marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how is Liz going to blackmail Don? She would need photos of him naked in her bed, we did not see her take any photos, maybe she did & we are to just assume that photos exist - however it would have been handy to see her with a camera.:confused:

I didn't realise that Phil was still involved with the daughter of the CIA guy.

That was a bit selfish of Pastor Tim to bugger off to Ethiopia when his wife is about to give birth.

I don't think she needs proof, she's relying on him being the decent, family man that he is and just the threat of telling his wife would be enough, we saw her rubbing some cream (!?) on her hands then diving under the cover to make him believe something had happened.

I'd forgotten about the CIA man too.

I was hoping that somehow Philip would run into Stan and Martha's dad :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel really sorry for Don.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sorry for Don.:cry:

It was a surprisingly lengthy and elaborate plan just to get into his office.