The woman in the shop

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
Before last weeks episode I would have thought Missy would turn out to be the woman in the shop. Apparently this is not the case, since Clara didn't seem to recognise her when they met, so that theory is out of the window. Am I to assume the identity of the mysterious woman will be revealed tonight?

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Before last weeks episode I would have thought Missy would turn out to be the woman in the shop. Apparently this is not the case, since Clara didn't seem to recognise her when they met, so that theory is out of the window. Am I to assume the identity of the mysterious woman will be revealed tonight?

Clara only met the women in the shop once so she may not just remember her how many people who serve you just once can you remember.

I went to a shop I don't normally go into yesterday and I wouldn't recognise the person who served me now.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara only met the women in the shop once so she may not just remember her how many people who serve you just once can you remember.

I went to a shop I don't normally go into yesterday and I wouldn't recognise the person who served me now.
    I see your point, but when that woman caused the most life-changing event of your life it may stick in your mind a bit more.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It happened two to three years ago from Clara's point of view.

Missy (if it was her) would not have been dressed as Mary Poppins.

The Master is well known for using disguises.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Also I think after your boyfriends just died and your surrounded by tombs filled with dead people in search of your dead boyfriend, you'd have other things on your mind
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make my day if the woman in the shop turned out to be the rani:)
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point, but when that woman caused the most life-changing event of your life it may stick in your mind a bit more.
    Yes, but it's not as if Clara knew that at the time she met whoever it was, is it?
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it turns out it was MIssy after all.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did we find out why she chose specifically Clara? Was it so she could go back and save him from the GI?
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    So what was the reason Missy wanted the Doctor and Clara together? Just some nonsense about Clara being a "control freak"?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    So what was the reason Missy wanted the Doctor and Clara together? Just some nonsense about Clara being a "control freak"?

yeah , this was pretty weak .

plus - the idea that Clara is a control freak only got introduced at the beginning of this season anyway .
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that by being a control freak she would be the most likely person to be able to put the doctor in a position and take control of him to effectively force him to go to the "afterlife" in the hunt for her dead boyfriend
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    It seems that by being a control freak she would be the most likely person to be able to put the doctor in a position and take control of him to effectively force him to go to the "afterlife" in the hunt for her dead boyfriend

But why Missy needed him there? No good reason apparently. The Doctor didn't do anything in the Nethersphere. He didn't need to go there. Seems like Missy went to an awful lot of trouble for nothing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    But why Missy needed him there? No good reason apparently. The Doctor didn't do anything in the Nethersphere. He didn't need to go there. Seems like Missy went to an awful lot of trouble for nothing!

The way the dialogue was written (i.e. Missys' words) it would seem Clara making him go there and then Clara being there is the key - but I'm still working out all the pieces in my head - which is a good thing I think - It needs working out (!) lol - but I will agree Claire with the sentiment of your post on this one - it ain't obvious!!

It wouldn't surprise me if Missy sabotaged the "Delete" button on Dannys' Ipad deliberately (in an un unseen scene) to make sure that he ended up in the cyber body alive and still aware of himself and with emotions, leading to the fact that Clara meeting Cyber-Danny actually happens, so she would be faced with a tough choice, one where she would need the Doctor to help her.

Missy effectively suggested that call to the TARDIS on the plane was something she was expecting .....
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I feel like a mug...
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Clara was too perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if Missy sabotaged the "Delete" button on Dannys' Ipad deliberately (in an un unseen scene) to make sure that he ended up in the cyber body alive and still aware of himself and with emotions, leading to the fact that Clara meeting Cyber-Danny actually happens, so she would be faced with a tough choice, one where she would need the Doctor to help her.

I think if you have to make up entire scenes in your head for it even to remotely work it probably doesn't work :D

But yes, a very unsatisfying conclusion to a mystery we've been waiting two series for the answer to.
  • hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I was very underwhelmed and meh about this reveal too, didn't make much sense and there are plenty of control freakish potential companions out there, not just Clara. I thought it would be more significant that the weak explanation given, related to the impossible girl thing maybe. Unless this will end up being a super arc and more to it that is not yet revealed but I don't think so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you have to make up entire scenes in your head for it even to remotely work it probably doesn't work :D

But yes, a very unsatisfying conclusion to a mystery we've been waiting two series for the answer to.

I'll defend Moff and I feel you & I can share our conflicting views quite peacefully so I'll end my thoughts here for now I think :) I think he has a tough job and does his best. I think we have a real issue that there are few writers out there who are in a position to take over from him yet, so he has to take the burden on himself. Despite this, I'm pleased with what he gave us this series.

Tonights episodes did have some bits I'm struggling to fully explain, unseen scenes etc - and why one moment Mistress watches in disappointment as the Doctor does not die as he falls from the plane and then next she sees her "expected" scene with Clara giving him a tough choice - heck if you knew it was coming Missy why blast the visualisation of the Matrix AI when he hoots how the Doctor saves himself?

But - I still loved it, and heck I try not to think too hard about the gaps - Moff is just a bloke who loves the show who is trying to do the best he can :) He's not trying to make the scripts bad or awful in anyway. Its not something trying to be a work of religion or fact, just an entertaining TV show. The history of the show is that its never perfect, and he clearly has broad enough shoulders to accept the criticism on the chin. Well done that man. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we have a real issue that there are few writers out there who are in a position to take over from him yet...

*cough* Toby Whithouse *cough* :D

I think Moffat's an okay writer but not organised or well planned enough to be a great showrunner for a complicated show like this with a large number of episodes. This is, after all, the man who doesn't write any of his series plans down. (Which explains a lot!).
    But - I still loved it, and heck I try not to think too hard about the gaps - Moff is just a bloke who loves the show who is trying to do the best he can :) He's not trying to make the scripts bad or awful in anyway.

Nah, course he's not. I don't think he's the devil incarnate or anything :D I just think he's showing more signs of running out of steam. He makes a lot of 'mistakes' that scriptwriters just starting out would never get away with and I think he's become a bit sloppy tbh - possibly due to the fact he is doing far too much.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    I feel that on this particular point it's a case of 'here we go again' with Moffat. The 'woman in the shop' and subsequent hints such as 'I have chosen well' were seemingly all building up to a big important reason why Clara specifically was chosen by Missy to be the doctors companion, Then when we finally get to hear Missy's views on the subject it's some pathetic nonsense where basically Missy said she thought it would be funny because Clara was a control freak. I mean come on, there must be thousands or millions of people in the world who are control freaks and Missy's explanation gave us absolutely no reason why it was specifically Clara, why she chose to put them together at that time, and what she achieved by doing so. To me it's just another case of Moffat coming up with a big cool sounding question before he's bothered to think about what the eventual answer to the question will be, then making up some sub standard answer at the last minute.

I will add that this is not a rant about the entire episode, as I found it patchy in places but rather good overall, it's just that the above point really was handled badly in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean come on, there must be thousands or millions of people in the world who are control freaks and Missy's explanation gave us absolutely no reason why it was specifically Clara, why she chose to put them together at that time, and what she achieved by doing so.

The daft thing was there's two far more important reasons that she needed to be with him - jumping into his time stream to save him and stopping him from destroying Gallifrey. She's not the only woman in the universe who could've done those things but she's the type of person who would and it would've made more sense if they'd been Missy's reasons for 'choosing' her.
    To me it's just another case of Moffat coming up with a big cool sounding question before he's bothered to think about what the eventual answer to the question will be, then making up some sub standard answer at the last minute.

I suspect you're unfortunately spot on.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was a factor of things

She needed someone controlling so checked on the past and future on many controlling people until she found the perfect one in Clara for the reason below

Missy may already of known Danny would die so went back to before Clara and Danny met to get her to meet The Doctor so by the time he did Clara would be a big part of his life and he would do whatever he could.

Even if that changed how they met Clara and Danny would always meet somehow as Orson needed to be born as him been the first human Time Traveller is a fixed point in time so time would find a way to make them meet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *cough* Toby Whithouse *cough* :D

I think Moffat's an okay writer but not organised or well planned enough to be a great showrunner for a complicated show like this with a large number of episodes. This is, after all, the man who doesn't write any of his series plans down. (Which explains a lot!).

Nah, course he's not. I don't think he's the devil incarnate or anything :D I just think he's showing more signs of running out of steam. He makes a lot of 'mistakes' that scriptwriters just starting out would never get away with and I think he's become a bit sloppy tbh - possibly due to the fact he is doing far too much.

I'll admit, he may need a holiday - and good shout on whithouse. But I think we're saying the same thing from different perspective - he needs more than just one or two other writers to take some of the load. In my opinion I think this will help increase his own consistency. For example, if we had no Mathieson this season, imagine what it could have been like - the answer isn't Mathieson, the problem is that there aren't enough Mathiesons to help Moff out. One maybe two more top class writers may take some of the weight off Moff allowing hm to be that superstar that atleast I think he is :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll admit, he may need a holiday - and good shout on whithouse. But I think we're saying the same thing from different perspective - he needs more than just one or two other writers to take some of the load. In my opinion I think this will help increase his own consistency. For example, if we had no Mathieson this season, imagine what it could have been like - the answer isn't Mathieson, the problem is that there aren't enough Mathiesons to help Moff out. One maybe two more top class writers may take some of the weight off Moff allowing hm to be that superstar that atleast I think he is :)

I think the issue is partly to do with how the screen writers are still chosen for this - it's still very much a case of who you know rather than talent. Screen writing for the top shows remains an old boys network of mates hiring mates and hence not enough new talent gets through. There are several exceptional screenwriters out there who can write in the genre who have shown an interest in DW but have openly said they've never been asked. It's a pity they don't give more of them a chance.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make my day if the woman in the shop turned out to be the rani:)

Love it.:D:D