The Big Bang Theory S09 (UK Pace, E4)

Comments

• kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought episode 3 was an improvement on 1 & 2.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Episode 3 as well and I've come on here and was quite surprised to see it was getting such a negative reaction

Thought it had quite a lot of laughs personally
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I actually caught last nights episode in between watching Wheeler Dealers. God it was crap. I stopped watching the show a long time ago mainly when Amy and Bernadette started taking over the show.

I didn't even watch it all the way through, as soon as I saw the usual women sitting in Penny's flat drinking wine and moaning about men I turned off again.

The show used to be funny, now it seems to be written just to slag men off all the time, the humour has just vanished.

I just watched the re-run of the old episode on E4 where Leonard sleeps with Mrs Latham, even badly cut to bits because of the watershed that episode is funny.

A comedy should be funny, if they want three women sitting around getting drunk complaining about 'men' create a show so I can have the old Big Bang back.

Whatever happened to the scenes in the comic book store etc.? Captain Sweatpants, all really funny stuff, now just whinging Amy complaining Sheldon wont shag her. God that was tedium.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I'm still loving it, but perhaps it's because I don't just watch to have a laugh (although it does make me laugh) - I'm interested in the development of the characters' lives.

Things must change now that Penny and Leonard are married. Sheldon and Amy can't carry on being apart and I can't see the arrangement of Penny and Leonard only sleeping in her apartment continuing - they have to have a settled home, and I want to see how Sheldon copes when he finally accepts that it can't be a three-person marriage.

I thought the attempts to change the wheel was worth a chuckle or two.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an ok episode. Better than the first two.

The only thing I didn't like was that it was two episodes in one. Ok, they had a connection with being a bachelor/bachelorette party but for me it would have been better just as a guys road trip.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I'm still loving it, but perhaps it's because I don't just watch to have a laugh (although it does make me laugh) - I'm interested in the development of the characters' lives.

Things must change now that Penny and Leonard are married. Sheldon and Amy can't carry on being apart and I can't see the arrangement of Penny and Leonard only sleeping in her apartment continuing - they have to have a settled home, and I want to see how Sheldon copes when he finally accepts that it can't be a three-person marriage.

I thought the attempts to change the wheel was worth a chuckle or two.

See, everything you talk about is what is now wrong with the show. Everything is about relationships.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually caught last nights episode in between watching Wheeler Dealers. God it was crap. I stopped watching the show a long time ago mainly when Amy and Bernadette started taking over the show.

I didn't even watch it all the way through, as soon as I saw the usual women sitting in Penny's flat drinking wine and moaning about men I turned off again.

The show used to be funny, now it seems to be written just to slag men off all the time, the humour has just vanished.

I just watched the re-run of the old episode on E4 where Leonard sleeps with Mrs Latham, even badly cut to bits because of the watershed that episode is funny.

A comedy should be funny, if they want three women sitting around getting drunk complaining about 'men' create a show so I can have the old Big Bang back.

Whatever happened to the scenes in the comic book store etc.? Captain Sweatpants, all really funny stuff, now just whinging Amy complaining Sheldon wont shag her. God that was tedium.

Although, as I said in a previous post, I thought ep 3 of new series was better than eps 1 & 2, I do agree with most of what you have said. I preferred it when there were just the 3 guys, and Penny, with Stewart & the comic book store, and various cameo roles by other actors.

I don't find Penny convincing as a businesswoman, and there does tend to be too much Amy and Bernadette. But maybe the producers thought as the guys are getting older they needed to give them relationships?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,664
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    See, everything you talk about is what is now wrong with the show. Everything is about relationships.
    So you want absolutely zero character growth? Seriously? Everything to just stay the same? :o:confused:>:(

That would be a boring show.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do they even do with Bernadette these days? She seems to just sit there and throw in a few random lines
  • mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernadette's voice has got so much higher now. It's hard to understand what she says as it's just painful. Any squeakier and only dogs would be able to hear her.
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    If you just want lads being lads, larking about then you should just watch clip shows like "You've been framed" or "That's so funny". There are no developing relationships in those. In fact there's no sit in them to make them sitcoms - they're purely coms.

A sitcom has to have a story running through it and one which develops. All of life is about relationships, even the funny bits which you can't have with serious bits - they'd just be bits.

Even in series one it was about the relationships between the main characters.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me that was the best part. And they weren't moaning about men; it was mostly about their relationships with their parents. Penny hadn't told her father about being married, and Amy hadn't told her parents about the break-up.

The guys in the van I found almost painful to watch. I'm not sure why. In a way it was an old-school segment, down to them making thermite using rust. (Good luck igniting it with a match, though.) Mostly it didn't work for me. Maybe just the old-school problem of being less how geeks behave and more how arts-grads think they behave. The women are just more watchable characters now.
  • dmwatdmwat Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's not as funny as it was, but it still makes me laugh, especially Howard. For me the main problem is that most of the time Sheldon is being written as annoying rather than quirkily funny.

I think making Stuart a more central character is a bad idea if all they're going to do is make him more and more creepy. That was one good thing about this week's episode, Stuart wasn't in it.
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean the live studio audience.

Yeah, right. Believe what you will
    Forum Member
    Don't need to "believe it"; I've seen it. Unless they just happened to bus a load in for this one event. (Which, of course, would have had everyone wondering why they were there if they weren't usually.)

Also, I just found this right now. Or was that all just staged too? :o:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we've all seen the "making of" type of shows.

And as I say, you're very welcome to believe that they don't add canned laughter and that the audience laughs exactly the same for each joke.

I also have some magic beans for sale.
    Forum Member
    C Horse wrote: »

And as I say, you're very welcome to believe that they don't add canned laughter and that the audience laughs exactly the same for each joke.

And this is a lie too I suppose:

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/tickets/

and this:

http://www.mydreamcametrue.com/TheBigBangTheory.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a cousin who is married to an American, and they have actually been part of the BBT audience, so, like it or not, it is genuine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I have a cousin who is married to an American, and they have actually been part of the BBT audience, so, like it or not, it is genuine.

And I have a friend who once went to Disneyland.

That still doesn't mean that they don't use canned laughter.

Some of it may be genuine, but the laughs are starting to get more homogenous.
    Forum Member

I never said that didn't happen. You said they did not use a live studio audience. They do.

Of course they might have to add the odd extra bit in here and there for whatever reason but that never in dispute.

You're just moving the goal-posts because you've been caught out.
    You mean the live studio audience.
    Yeah, right. Believe what you will
    Forum Member

If you read the link I gave to the blog of the chap who described what happens at a recording, you'll see that he explains that "While we watched the pre-recorded scene on the monitors, our laughter was recorded using microphones above our heads."
    Obviously, as with ALL programmes recorded in segments, there needs to be some editing of the laughter for continuity.
  • FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Where is the US pace thread? I want to discuss the most recent episode
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    Where is the US pace thread? I want to discuss the most recent episode

US Pace Season 9
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=79735344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That may be true, but you were implying you didn't believe they had a live audience.

(not sure what Disneyland has to do with BBT)
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who turns the volume down whenever the laughter happens and does their own really fake sounding laugh