Leona Lewis Doesn't deserve to be dropped

14567810»

Comments

• Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    number 1 in Germany and Austria .... fantastic accomplishment! Now release - Glassheart in Europe!!! With Sassy video (not dreary love story!)
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does deserve to be, because Syco are crap for her and a new record deal would do her right!
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does deserve to be, because Syco are crap for her and a new record deal would do her right!
    I actually agree at this point. She's signed to RCA in the US so I think she should just leave syco and continue her career with them.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if leona really cared for her uk fans she would have pushed for better promotion for her latest single.
    She is a woman in her twenties can't she stand up for herself and leave syco.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    if leona really cared for her uk fans she would have pushed for better promotion for her latest single.

Contracts can prevent people from just leaving, she said a few months ago that she finally won control,whether that is still the case after the under performance I don't know. As for promo if her management aren't able to secure her any slots then there isn't anything she can do.

And if you follow Leona's career closely you would see that she isn't this shy, weak willed person, she actually is confident in her music and isn't afraid to stand up for things she believes in and I am sure that will be the same in regards to her music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    sparkle22 wrote: »

Do you think that anyone can leave Syco just as they like? Syco doesn't know anything about music but all about legal contracts and their contracts are tight. Syco is a nightmare.
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I adore her but she's been marketed wrongly since Echo and has never been accessible enough to fans in terms of live gigs, TV appearances and the like. It will be a real shame if she gets dropped but Syco seem to have no clue what to do with her and as much as I personally like Glassheart, songs like Lovebird are incredibly dated and I am not surprised the era has practically sunk without a trace. I don't think her fashion sense helps her in terms of her image either. Leona is a beautiful young woman but her taste in fashion is appalling. I hate to say it, but I really find the way she dresses a turn off. Like it or not, image is important in the mainstream music world.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she or more likely her team posted her `lovebird` video on facebook the other day and they described the video as `stunning`, which visually it is to a certain degree. the promotion for this release in particular was dire and talk about too little too late.:o i think leaving syco would be a blessing for her should they want to offload her, but i cant honestly see the parent company sony letting her go all things considered. `glassheart` seemed like a cynical move on syco`s part to mix things up a bit, when really, i am sure people just wanted more of the same on a more regular basis.

i am not saying she should churn out ballad after ballad and cover after cover. however, she had two successful albums, so if the formula wasn't completely broke, why try fixing it? a natural slow progression and a noted improvement on each album release would have been more wise. while, with `glassheart` it seems like they tried to move her down the dance route and lost their nerve after `collide` underperformed. the final result was not a definitive direction change and people got bored waiting.

i don't think sony will drop her, especially considering the album is achieving more positive results in other territories at the moment. however, i do think syco have taken her as far as they can though and maybe she needs a more focused label within sony that could possibly handle her career better.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think that all the woman with big voices are currently selling less than they used to? Whatever the genre, Xtina Aguilera (Lotus really "flopped" after a previous album that had not done as well as predicted either), Beyonce, Celine Dion are not the big seller that they used to be.
    I don't know what Sony or Syco (people seem to love to blame them) can do against the current tendancy... A direction change maybe wasn't such a bad idea, even if people haven't taken to it as well as they were hoping.

And let's be honest, why has she been waiting this long to come back? I'm not following her, so I don't know, but she seemed to have disapeared, and it is a bad move not to have something released regularily (look at Rihanna and Katy Perry).
    From what I understand, she refused "we found love" (it would have sounded different from Rihanna, I'm sure), was it her manager or her who did that? How many singles did she refuse like that? Is that what lead to her very long hiatus?

I am not saying that Syco is the best label ever, but I think only blaming them for Leona's current "problems" is a shortcut.
    It's like when I read 1D fans blaming "management" for every single thing that they dislike...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    She defo needs to leave that crap label. They should be ashamed of themselves, they must be really thick and just want to ruin everyones career. Simon cowell you are an idiot.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Don't you think that all the woman with big voices are currently selling less than they used to? Whatever the genre, Xtina Aguilera (Lotus really "flopped" after a previous album that had not done as well as predicted either), Beyonce, Celine Dion are not the big seller that they used to be.
    I don't know what Sony or Syco (people seem to love to blame them) can do against the current tendancy... A direction change maybe wasn't such a bad idea, even if people haven't taken to it as well as they were hoping.

And let's be honest, why has she been waiting this long to come back? I'm not following her, so I don't know, but she seemed to have disapeared, and it is a bad move not to have something released regularily (look at Rihanna and Katy Perry).
    From what I understand, she refused "we found love" (it would have sounded different from Rihanna, I'm sure), was it her manager or her who did that? How many singles did she refuse like that? Is that what lead to her very long hiatus?

I am not saying that Syco is the best label ever, but I think only blaming them for Leona's current "problems" is a shortcut.
    It's like when I read 1D fans blaming "management" for every single thing that they dislike...

not really considering adele`s massive worldwide success with 21, which outsold her previous album by a huge margin and emeli sande had the biggest selling album in the uk last year. new names are emerging, but there is clearly still a big demand for female singers with big voices. there are countless examples of syco`s mismanagement of singers on their roster, don't you find it a little strange that after 9 series only 3 winners are currently still signed to that label? while usually i am the first to point out that they're running a business and every business has to be profitable. i cant help thinking that a certain level of mismanagement is to blame following so many casualties on that label.

in leona`s case, it does seem like history is repeating itself. shayne ward was sidelined while syco concentrated on her and other newer singers. when he finally returned, no one was bothered and he was subsequently dropped for under performing. it seems to me that syco are always on the lookout for the next big thing and prioritises whoever they consider most bankable at any given time. its a profitable strategy, but what about the talent being sidelined in that process?
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    not really considering adele`s massive worldwide success with 21, which outsold her previous album by a huge margin and emeli sande had the biggest selling album in the uk last year. new names are emerging, but there is clearly still a big demand for female singers with big voices. there are countless examples of syco`s mismanagement of singers on their roster, don't you find it a little strange that after 9 series only 3 winners are currently still signed to that label? while usually i am the first to point out that they're running a business and every business has to be profitable. i cant help thinking that a certain level of mismanagement is to blame following so many casualties on that label.

in leona`s case, it does seem like history is repeating itself. shayne ward was sidelined while syco concentrated on her and other newer singers. when he finally returned, no one was bothered and he was subsequently dropped for under performing. it seems to me that syco are always on the lookout for the next big thing and prioritises whoever they consider most bankable at any given time. its a profitable strategy, but what about the talent being sidelined in that process?

I see what you mean about the big voices: new people are emerging and the old divas are losing their steam. Though I think Beyonce has a good chance of still being more than fine.

However, I think that very few artists manage to reach longevity in their music career (not only with Syco). People seem to support them for a couple of albums, but move on to somebody new.
    I don't particularily want Leona to be dropped, I just think that she has already acheaved quite a lot and that maybe people have moved on after a too long break.

She would need another "bleeding love" to make a real come back, but that doesn't mean that her career is over, I just think that it's won't be at the same level.

And let's hope for her that she manages to change reccord label since everyone seems to agree that they can't handle a longer career.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, no one can deny that Glassheart album didn't do as well as expected, personally I think this is Leona's best album. What really killed this era is the messy release of 2nd single. Leona announced it was Fireflies, and then apparently it was Lovebird, with no EP or single mix, so of course fans will not buy this single if they have the album. Personally, I would have stuck with Fireflies, it is a lovely track. A lot of fans want Glassheart released as a single, it is certainly different and it is a good track. I really hope this happens.
    Leona is still in demand in other countries and indeed performs a lot, she is doing a lot of performing over the next few months, including a lot of dates for Art on Ice & touring in Germany, Switzerland and the UK and ticket sales are still in demand, so obviously people still want to see her. Leona has also recently been performing in China, Hong Kong, Japan & Russia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    I don't know what Sony or Syco (people seem to love to blame them) can do against the current tendancy....

People blame Syco because they know Syco. Syco has not a single person that knows anything about music, they only have accountants, PR and marketing guys. Its' like running BMW without engineers. And that's to blame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    What is even going on with her latest album and singles, it's all a mess.
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    What is even going on with her latest album and singles, it's all a mess.

Is she releasing any more tracks from Glassheart? With the way Lovebird flopped to the degree it did, I would be stunned if they bothered with the era any further. I can't believe they didn't release Come Alive or the title track. What on earth are they all on?
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What went wrong with her IMO this ERA was she left in to late. She should of stuck with the 2011 release instead of the 2012.
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan Tedder wrote Halo (Beyonce's biggest song) for Leona. What that would have done for her career.

Beyonce's Song 'Halo' Was Originally Written For Leona Lewis
    Here we go again, another Beyonce scandal...not quite. Well there are reports going out that Beyonce's song 'Halo' which was written by Ryan Tedder (lead singer of One Republic) from her new album I Am...Sasha Fierce was originally intended for Leona Lewis. Ryan was impatiently waiting for Leona to record the track and decided to give it to Beyonce.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »
    Ryan Tedder wrote Halo (Beyonce's biggest song) for Leona. What that would have done for her career.

Beyonce's Song 'Halo' Was Originally Written For Leona Lewis
    Here we go again, another Beyonce scandal...not quite. Well there are reports going out that Beyonce's song 'Halo' which was written by Ryan Tedder (lead singer of One Republic) from her new album I Am...Sasha Fierce was originally intended for Leona Lewis. Ryan was impatiently waiting for Leona to record the track and decided to give it to Beyonce.

That's incorrect. Ryan Tedder himself has said that Halo was always intended for Beyonce. However it was infact Beyonce who he grew impatient with waiting for her to record it so he sent the track to Leona's team to see what they thought of it. They loved it but in the end Beyonce wanted it and so Ryan gave it to her as it was originally for her. I'm sure if Leona could have gotten her hands on "Halo" she would have.