Options

Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 14: The Name Of The Doctor 18/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

Comments

• Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are saying that the TV trailer has gave Clara's secret away completely but I wouldn't say so. Why would they put that in there if it's the answer to the arc, there must be more to it than that surely.

Anyway, could the TARDIS be the eleventh of something? Like this the 11th version of this TARDIS because the doctor has had to repair it that many times or something? I was just wondering because we do see it fall in the trailer.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am not looking forward to next week.

It feels like the conclusion to a story arc that we haven't even seen !! If it's focussed on who Clara is then it will be a damp squib because they haven't built a character we care about. If it's about who the Doctor is then I'm not sure that's somewhere we should be going..not in 45 minutes.

This looks like another bit of Moffatt "cleverness" with no emotional investment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »

It feels like the conclusion to a story arc that we haven't even seen !! If it's focussed on who Clara is then it will be a damp squib because they haven't built a character we care about. If it's about who the Doctor is then I'm not sure that's somewhere we should be going..not in 45 minutes.

This looks like another bit of Moffatt "cleverness" with no emotional investment.

I think some of us care about her character. I think the reason she hasn't been built up to much is to show how little the Doctor knows about her and we're seeing that from his point of view.
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »

Other than the conversation that never happened in 'Journey', I feel like The Doctor and Clara haven't really spoken to each other at all. Mainly a bunch of one-liners and plot exposition.

Keeping an emotional distance, I suppose is natural, for The Doctor, given the recent Pond arc, and the fact he's obsessed with her being an 'Impossible Girl'. But from Clara's side, it's like wtf. She's been very laid-back and seemingly 'perfect' in every situation they've been in thus far - her characterization has been all over the place, I feel.

The most interesting thing she's done really is in 'Journey'; she went up to that book as though 1) she knew it was there and 2) with purpose.

I still personally feel The Doctor's quick assumption on her being a trap etc. will in turn lead her to becoming 'special' [and then being used by TGI as a distraction].
    Think she's just a normal [albeit badly written / inconsistent across episodes] girl atm.

Splitting a series in half like this didn't exactly help with arc pacing from the offset as it is...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree a bit that Clara hasn't really been developed much, and there doesn't seem to have been much genuine interaction between her and The Doctor. It also seems a bit disappointing that after six episodes, we're still in the same place as we were in episode one concerning her mystery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact for the first time ever we are seeing from the Doctors perspective...how much do we know about Clara?

The point is i think to be entirely different to the Ponds and indeed Amy in the fact we knew her as a child, we grew up with Amy and Rory...we cared for them and became attatched to them...whereas with Clara we have not...we have seen her in three different time zones thus far and only seen minor progresion over the weeks....but its been steady progression...and everything will come to a head in this finale i feel...i care about Clara, i care about the Doctor and i care about Strax, Vastra and Jenny and i love the fact that Richard.E.grant will be there manipulating everything and the Whispermen look ingeniusly scary and so glad RIver will be back....and i think it will be a very forward thinking episode that will resolve the "fall of the eleventh" arc, resolve the Trenzalore arc and will resolve Claras mystery as to who she is and her purpose in different timelines....andin doing so leave everything open for the 50th and series 8 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-name-of-doctor-11-teasers.html

Interesting teasers in that pack, I wonder who the Doctor kisses and I have a feeling it's not Clara. Looks like If those comments are from Clara that she might revisit Oswin/Victorian Clara?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DVD has been shipped early in some part of the US. Good job. There's a blogger who has snapped the proof - but won't reveal anything. Kudos to him.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    The DVD has been shipped early in some part of the US. Good job. There's a blogger who has snapped the proof - but won't reveal anything. Kudos to him.

Oh dear, yes, just saw that posted on GB...what are the chances that everyone will be so principled....I wonder if the beeb will be on alert to scour Youtube and order anything posted early to be taken down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Here is the full synopsis and character list, haven't seen it posted yet:
    [spolier]
    Writer - Steven Moffat

Director - Saul Metzstein

Producer - Marcus Wilson

The Doctor - Matt Smith
    Clara - Jenna-Louise Coleman
    River Song - Alex Kingston
    Dr Simeon - Richard E Grant
    Vastra - Neve McIntosh
    Jenny - Catrin Stewart
    Strax - Dan Starkey
    Angie - Eve de Leon Allen
    Artie - Kassius Carey Johnson
    Andro - Nasi Voutsas
    Fabian - David Avery
    Clarence - Michael Jenn
    Archie - Rab Affleck
    Messenger Boy - Samuel Irvine
    Young Clara - Sophie Downham
    Whisper Man - Paul Kasey

Synopsis: Clara is summoned to an impossible conference call, alerting her that the deadly Whisper Men are closing in on Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Someone is kidnapping the Doctor’s friends, leading him toward the one place in all of time and space that he should never go. It’s a deadly trap that threatens to unravel his past, present and future…

Airtime: 19:00 BST (GMT+1) BBC ONE
    [/spolier]

Ooooo :O

Source: http://www.combom.co.uk/2013/05/doctor-who-series-7-name-of-doctor.html
  • Options
    mostimitatedmostimitated Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    any word on whether this is gonna be more than 45 minutes? Given how rushed each ep has felt, i can't see how they're going to get everything in.

Still excited though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any word on whether this is gonna be more than 45 minutes? Given how rushed each ep has felt, i can't see how they're going to get everything in.

Still excited though :)

I don't think it can be any longer than 45 as Eurovision is straight after.

Hmm young Clara that must suggest Clara remembers meeting him as her parents aren't named
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Alex Kingston will get an opening credit billing as suggested by the episode poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Name-of-the-Finale
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how Moffat will be feeling now? he must be kicking himself considering the last five mins of NOTD where filmed less than 2 weeks ago :)
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    I wonder if Alex Kingston will get an opening credit billing as suggested by the episode poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Name-of-the-Finale

Oh that would be sweet. :)
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Oh that would be sweet. :)

I agree, although I'm quite a saddo when it comes to opening credits :D
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it we won't be getting the Silence in this then?
    Thought for sure we would be considering it is their job to stop the question being asked. This is the end of their story basically isn't it?
    Whisper Men look just as scary though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    I take it we won't be getting the Silence in this then?
    Thought for sure we would be considering it is their job to stop the question being asked. This is the end of their story basically isn't it?
    Whisper Men look just as scary though :)

Not sure whether the great intelligence is a part of the Silence brigade or not....but maybe that will be left for series 8....Madame Kovarian, Silence, Davros team up ;) would be pretty sweet and epic!

We will see, but agreed the Whispermen look freaky as anything!
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumblr says
    The Great Intelligence kidnaps the Doctors friends, including River Song. They go to the graveyard planet Trenzalore. They find the Doctor’s eventual grave, which is the TARDIS. The only way to get in is to speak the Doctor’s name, which River Song does. Inside, there is a sort of web of light, and at the center, a shining white light there is the corpse of the Doctor. It’s a web of all the Doctors timelines. The Great Intelligence enters and kills the Doctor in each of them. Clara goes in to save him in each timeline, and dies each time. Doctor goes in to save her. [/SPOILER
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumblr says
    The Great Intelligence kidnaps the Doctors friends, including River Song. They go to the graveyard planet Trenzalore. They find the Doctor’s eventual grave, which is the TARDIS. The only way to get in is to speak the Doctor’s name, which River Song does. Inside, there is a sort of web of light, and at the center, a shining white light there is the corpse of the Doctor. It’s a web of all the Doctors timelines. The Great Intelligence enters and kills the Doctor in each of them. Clara goes in to save him in each timeline, and dies each time. Doctor goes in to save her. [/SPOILER

How about putting this into a spoiler tag?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No torrents for it yet. Not that I was looking... :o
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am i the only one that notices Strax attacking Vastra in the trailer?
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Am i the only one that notices Strax attacking Vastra in the trailer?

hmmm... Doctor Who Cluedo... I wonder if that would sell...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's something The Whispermen have done to him. We see them attacking him in the trailer.
    What abilities do we think they'll have? Memory control is probably one of them given Strax seemingly not knowing who Vastra is.