Moste depressing films

mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's your idea of the most depressing film?

I watched Never Let Me Go (a C4 premiere on Sunday night). The story of a group of people whose sole purpose in life was to act as donors for people with diseases such as cancer, Alzheimers, etc.

The film was clearly well-made and well-acted but to me it was humourless and filmed in various shades of dull beige and grey.
Left me feeling really down and depressed after watching it.

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the movie and love Jessica Lange's performance but the movie 'Frances' really leaves you on a downer.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the most depressing film, but those are good contenders:

Come and See
    The Sent-Down Girl
    Pixote (doesn't help that I watched Salaam Bombay! before or after this; both films were on C4 the same night)
    Army of Shadows
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Blue Spring
    Paths of Glory
    Lilya 4-ever
    AKIRA
    Boys, Be Ambitious
    Come Home, Cathy

I can think of more, but those come to mind first.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grave of the fireflies
    requiem for a dream
    </life>
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Manchester United: Beyond the Promised Land (2000)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anything by Ken Loach
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic never fails to sadden me. Especially the mother with a baby asking the Captain where she should go. :(
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    The Road is the first film that springs to mind...also Eden Lake...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty Woman .

I know its not really the sort of film you mean but it really is very depressing .
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.I.
    Threads
    The day after
    On The Beach
    Hachi: A Dog's Tale
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Pretty Woman .

I know its not really the sort of film you mean but it really is very depressing .

Especially when you consider the whole film is about a hard-up money grabbing ****.

My choice is Les Misérables
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happiness, directed by Todd Solondz.

Contrary to its name, it's actually really dark and miserable. There's probably only about one or two characters in it who are likeable - the rest are horrible. I mean, one of them's a paedophile for Christ's sake!

It is a good film though. But bloody hell, it's not a pleasant watch at all.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.I.
    Threads
    The day after
    On The Beach
    Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Yes, Threads - without doubt, the most harrowing, depressing film ever
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I don't know about the most depressing film, but those are good contenders:

Come and See
    The Sent-Down Girl
    Pixote (doesn't help that I watched Salaam Bombay! before or after this; both films were on C4 the same night)
    Army of Shadows
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Blue Spring
    Paths of Glory
    Lilya 4-ever
    AKIRA
    Boys, Be Ambitious
    Come Home, Cathy

I can think of more, but those come to mind first.

It's a Wonderful Life...depressing???

Granted it is quite dark in places, but the movie as a whole ends on a high note and is very positive and life-affirming, one of the best feelgood movies ever made.

I really don't know how you could watch this movie from beginning to end and then describe it as depressing.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the most depressing ever but one that I watched recently that sticks out is Jagten (or The Hunt), the Danish film starring Mads Mikkelsen. A brilliant film but harrowing to watch.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silent running
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They Shoot Horses,Don't They
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Se7en.
    Funny Games.
    The Mist.
    25th Hour.

Basically a great film which I have really enjoyed, but the protagonist loses at the end.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    What's your idea of the most depressing film?

I watched Never Let Me Go (a C4 premiere on Sunday night). The story of a group of people whose sole purpose in life was to act as donors for people with diseases such as cancer, Alzheimers, etc.

The film was clearly well-made and well-acted but to me it was humourless and filmed in various shades of dull beige and grey.
    Left me feeling really down and depressed after watching it.

Totally agree - I recorded it and just finished watching it. It was incredibly sad and depressing and I just asked myself why I put myself through it. It was a story without hope :(

Also, most movies by David Lynch are pretty depressing - Eraserhead and Blue Velvet come to mind.

But probably the worst films are the ones by David Cronenberg - Dead Ringers was vile and depressing at the same time.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Lord of the flies.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Wonderful Life...depressing???

Granted it is quite dark in places, but the movie as a whole ends on a high note and is very positive and life-affirming, one of the best feelgood movies ever made.

I really don't know how you could watch this movie from beginning to end and then describe it as depressing.

I watched this film for the first time yesterday and have to say I too found it deeply depressing. Even the so-called 'feel-good' ending, because (although it's a movie), life just isn't like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning Departure 1950.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hours
    Meryl Streep's performance normally leaves me very sad and depressed for a few days, which is why i don't normally watch it much. It's a film about depression and really hits home in small ways.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great silence, by Sergio Corbucci. Brilliant but completely bizarre spaghetti western.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eden lake initially shocked me but it felt more depressing as I thought more about it. A recent movie that is depressing and somewhat nasty in places would be 'contracted', it gets alotta good reviews but it just left me with a bitter depressing feeling.