Options

Bought a fake DVD on eBay

RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All, I bought a DVD the other day on eBay listed as 'New & Sealed PAL Region 2 Disney Beauty and the Beast Special Edition'.

When it came, alarm bells started ringing because as much as it was indeed sealed, the box didn't look quite right, there were strange spaces in the text and the embossing was slightly offset etc. It had a an 'authenticity hologram' and even an advertisement for Disney Reward Points on it, but it didn't look quite perfect. Also, it was labelled Region 1 (NTSC?) not PAL.

Anyway, I opened it up and sure enough the DVD looked ridiculously low quality in terms of printing, and there were no reward points inside. I tested it out on my portable DVD player (just in case) and it spins up really noisily as if it's not quite flat.

The menus are so-so, picture quality is washed out and quite stripy (though this might be to do with it being a R1?) and the sound OK but a bit on the quiet side.

I contacted the seller who didn't reply other than to give me an immidiate refund. He has 100% positive feedback but some of the positives are 'fake DVD arrived, full refund issued' type feedbacks. He sells a lot of the same movie over and over and I think it's pretty clear he's selling high(ish) quality fakes.

Thing is - will eBay do anything about it? Yes I have my refund but surely these fakes might be being used in good faith as gifts etc and I'm also worried that the unstable spinning of the disc might actually damage DVD players.

Should I leave a negative feedback or a neutral, I don't want to leave a positive because even though I was refunded it was still annoying to get a fake.

Comments

• Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that'd happened to me I'd simply not leave any feedback, which is what I do whenever I have a crappy experience (although I class a crappy experience anytime I buy something that I soon realise is a piece of dodo and I refuse to that the seller for allowing me to buy something so foolish).

You got a refund, don't feedback them and just forget about it :)
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    If that'd happened to me I'd simply not leave any feedback, which is what I do whenever I have a crappy experience (although I class a crappy experience anytime I buy something that I soon realise is a piece of dodo and I refuse to that the seller for allowing me to buy something so foolish).

You got a refund, don't feedback them and just forget about it :)

:) It's just annoying someone can list something as real and dupe 50+ people a week, grr.

I will always buy my DVDs in HMV from now on, better to support a struggling shop than a fraudster! :D
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont understand why you bought when you have stated that the feedback does say "fake DVD" I would have just not bought seeing that, you must have know there was a good chance it would go the same way as all those other feedbacks?
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you not leave negative feedback? :confused: The item is a fake and not what was listed. Doesn't matter if they refunded you in my view, they should still get negative feedback.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not only leave negative feedback, but I would also report therm to eBay for breaking both eBay policy and the law!
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    That's just a reminder to do your research.
    Read ebay seller feedback before committing to buy. It's what other buyers left their feedback for.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says here: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/buy/guides/dvd-fact-buying-guide/

"To report the sale of counterfeit DVDs call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or go to www.crimestoppers-uk.org "

Also see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3887189.stm
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    Dont understand why you bought when you have stated that the feedback does say "fake DVD" I would have just not bought seeing that, you must have know there was a good chance it would go the same way as all those other feedbacks?
    I was wondering this as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st thing I do before bidding is check the feedback. Not all negative feedback concerns me - some real thick buyers out there who cant read simple descriptions then leave negative feedback for their own stupidity.

But seeing 'fake DVD' would cause me to not buy
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pocket the refund, don't leave any feedback, report them to eBay and let them sort it out.

The eBay seller is banking on complacency from a lot of his customers, which is why he gives refunds without quibbling. Enough people won't complain so he gets away with it and still makes a profit.

Feedback is pointless for this type of thing. The seller is breaking the law and eBay needs to be told directly.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree about feedback being pointless. Seeing that red "no-entry sign" or whatever it is flags up a need to dig into the feedback a little closer. If I see 100% positive I seldom bother to forensically examine they're feedback history and assume their okay.... any hint of red and I click on it straight away to delve further.
    What is pointless is not alerting the buying public to fact you had a negative experience with a manifestly poor seller.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All, I bought a DVD the other day on eBay listed as 'New & Sealed PAL Region 2 Disney Beauty and the Beast Special Edition'.

When it came, alarm bells started ringing because as much as it was indeed sealed, the box didn't look quite right, there were strange spaces in the text and the embossing was slightly offset etc. It had a an 'authenticity hologram' and even an advertisement for Disney Reward Points on it, but it didn't look quite perfect. Also, it was labelled Region 1 (NTSC?) not PAL.

Anyway, I opened it up and sure enough the DVD looked ridiculously low quality in terms of printing, and there were no reward points inside. I tested it out on my portable DVD player (just in case) and it spins up really noisily as if it's not quite flat.

The menus are so-so, picture quality is washed out and quite stripy (though this might be to do with it being a R1?) and the sound OK but a bit on the quiet side.

I contacted the seller who didn't reply other than to give me an immidiate refund. He has 100% positive feedback but some of the positives are 'fake DVD arrived, full refund issued' type feedbacks. He sells a lot of the same movie over and over and I think it's pretty clear he's selling high(ish) quality fakes.

Thing is - will eBay do anything about it? Yes I have my refund but surely these fakes might be being used in good faith as gifts etc and I'm also worried that the unstable spinning of the disc might actually damage DVD players.

Should I leave a negative feedback or a neutral, I don't want to leave a positive because even though I was refunded it was still annoying to get a fake.

i would forget about it, and if you want a DVD , just buy from Amazon