Options

How did they get to be TV presenters?

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Are there people presenting TV shows who you think 'How the hell did that happen?'

For instance, Nick Knowles. AFAIK he sarted off as a labourer on those DIY / house programmes and now he's hosting quiz shows :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best way is to have a relative in the business, "pull" is so more effective than "push."
    You can get "fast tracked" that way if there's enough "pull."
    With the BBC a university education also helps.
    Take Richard Dimbleby, he got two sons into the business.
    Richard Madeley hasn't been so fortunate, having a relative in the business isn't quite enough, a bit of common sense and some actual ability is necessary.

Seriously, many work their way up from being a gofer or researcher. How they get in may be different.
    But like in any business, being in the right place at the right time helps. It's not always down to HR and "the best qualified for the job" according to them. Sometimes the decision makers just remember "15 second snapshots" of people within the business with whom they've had a brief conversation, who have made an impression on them.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are there people presenting TV shows who you think 'How the hell did that happen?'

For instance, Nick Knowles. AFAIK he sarted off as a labourer on those DIY / house programmes and now he's hosting quiz shows :confused:

Nick Knowles is the ultimate example. Yuk,yuk,yuk. "In actual fact" I ask myself the same question every time I see him on Perfection. Just how did he ever get this job? In actual fact;-)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other question has to be 'how do they keep on getting work year after year?'
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Nepotism, good looks, brass neck.

I would say these often help a lot.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Get some good looking zero, give them their own show and say they are an "internet sensation" , to make it look like you didn't just hire your agent's son / producers niece, etc etc
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But like in any business, being in the right place at the right time helps. It's not always down to HR and "the best qualified for the job" according to them. Sometimes the decision makers just remember "15 second snapshots" of people within the business with whom they've had a brief conversation, who have made an impression on them.

I believe that's how Davina McCall got into TV - by networking like crazy with people in the business.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Nick Knowles is the ultimate example. Yuk,yuk,yuk. "In actual fact" I ask myself the same question every time I see him on Perfection. Just how did he ever get this job? In actual fact;-)

What's wrong with him? He seems like a nice guy and a good presenter to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    What's wrong with him? He seems like a nice guy and a good presenter to me.

Does he still have his gimmick?
    Glasses off, glasses back on, glasses off, glasses back on. etc., etc.,

Perhaps he can afford contacts now.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a show Nick Knowles doesn't currently host on the BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a show Nick Knowles doesn't currently host on the BBC?

Good question for "Points of View," don't expect to see it aired.

Anyway, "think cheap to produce show, think Nick Knowles."
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Nepotism, good looks, brass neck.

I would say these often help a lot.

Casting couch.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the BBC a university education also helps.
    Just so long as it's in a subject that is entirely useless. We mustn't allow the BBC to be taken over by "technical people".

The crucial part still seems to be knowing the right people, who know where the opportunities are and can put in a word (or who you can name-drop if you get as far as an interview, or at the right dinner party if you don't).
    Apart from that, not being a bearded, straight, white, male older than 40 seems to be one of the biggest considerations.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Apart from that, not being a bearded, straight, white, male older than 40 seems to be one of the biggest considerations.
    You mean like...Nick Knowles? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At one time the BBC had a "Presenter School" run by ex Blue Peter/ Dr Who actor, Peter Purves. Not sure who runs it now.

The old route used to be
    For "Serious stuff (News or Current affairs etc) Local Paper/Radio newsroom - Local regional TV - Our of hours/ weekend National news - National Primetime News.

Obviously that still applies to the BBC, with ITV regional news cutbacks they now just poach staff for National primetime from BBC or SKY news.

For Light Entertainment
    BBC it is Childrens TV / Roving reporter on magazine or Sports show - Daytime quiz host - maybe Primetime National shows (but not many opportunities)

Used to be (Commercial) Local Radio - Local TV magazine - Satellite minor channel (MTV etc) - Channel 4 - ITV

Only route for ITV channels now seems to be : Do own show on Internet - get late night show in ITV 2/3/4 - move straight to Primetime with no training or experience.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never cease to be puzzled by the number of people (usually young women) who are described in newspapers as ''television presenters'' (never ''radio presenters'') but you never see them actually presenting anything. Then there are the ''presenters'' who have fallen on hard times - Andi Peters now doing cookery on QVC for instance, wasn't he once a big noise at the BBC ? However I was pleased to see on BBC Breakfast the other day that the Japanese have invented robot presenters who will do away with the need for newsreaders et al.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Brian Dowling.

Essentially he was voted the Nation's favourite person in a house and so C5 decided he could present the show. Thank God they agreed he was rubbish.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    The other question has to be 'how do they keep on getting work year after year?'

I think its about finding something disgusting on the head of commissioning and then BLACKMAILING him or her.....job for life :p
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Some get jobs as runners, or tea boys/girls and work it up from there.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Lurch " Osman, After years behind the scenes he gets the assistant role on Pointless, now he's presenting some other crappy peak time quiz show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Brian Dowling.

Essentially he was voted the Nation's favourite person in a house and so C5 decided he could present the show. Thank God they agreed he was rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dowling

Actually Dowling did the Kids TV/ Satellite route, and worked hard to maintain his career in media.
    Sometime after Big Brother, he joined SMTV: Live - replacing Ant and/or Dec first with Cat Deeley, then Tess Daly. He joined after actor James Redmond (from Hollyoaks) was sacked after only a few weeks.

Brian did various jobs on minor satellite channels for several years.

Hosting Big Brother was not his biggest gig SMTV: Live was
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dowling

Actually Dowling did the Kids TV/ Satellite route, and worked hard to maintain his career in media.
    Sometime after Big Brother, he joined SMTV: Live - replacing Ant and/or Dec first with Cat Deeley, then Tess Daly. He joined after actor James Redmond (from Hollyoaks) was sacked after only a few weeks.

Brian did various jobs on minor satellite channels for several years.

Hosting Big Brother was not his biggest gig SMTV: Live was

Oh yes, come to think of it I do remember him on SMTV.
  • Options
    best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and on a similar theme, I've always wondered how 'weather girls' get their jobs? :D
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    best boy wrote: »
    ...and on a similar theme, I've always wondered how 'weather girls' get their jobs? :D

I don't know what the criteria is now, but the Beeb used to use actual meteorologists from the Met Centre who showed any skill at presenting. Suzanne Charlton, God bless her, did not get the gig on looks.

I seem to remember it was ITV's morning shows that started using 'totty' as weather girls, e.g Wincey Willis and of course the beloved Ulrikakakakakakaka.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dominic Littlewood.

How on earth did that happen?
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst one I can think of is Joe Swash. He pops up every so often to do the This Morning annoying competitions.
    What 'talent' does he actually have?