Most unfunny UK sitcoms of the last 5 years

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am doing a little research paper, can you give me some ideas?

I am thinking of putting Bad Education near the top of the list.

Comments

• ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal Bodyguard and Wright Way attracted the most criticism on here possibly followed by Citizen Khan.

Afterwards they're more under the radar unfunny sits like Life Of Riley that somehow managed 3 series :o
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Girls

Gavin & Stacey
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Bad Education looks like absolute shite.

Citizen Khan is just a PC gimmick with comedy being very much an afterthought.

Mrs. Brown's Boys is probably the worst sitcom ever.

Vicious is pretty crap as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boomers - with Russ Abbott, Paula Wilcox and Stephanie Beecham, but no jokes
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda, bloody awful!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Royal Bodyguard and Wright Way attracted the most criticism on here possibly followed by Citizen Khan.

Afterwards they're more under the radar unfunny sits like Life Of Riley that somehow managed 3 series :o

I really liked Life Of Riley lol. As for the worst, any of the three you mentioned could take the title for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I thought Miranda awful but my OH loved it.Sorry that's not going to help much:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Miranda, Mrs Brown's boys and Citizen Khan! I really wish one would come along and shock me with it's originality...here's hoping!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Oh and Bad Education...I tried and tried but no laughs were drawn...
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Citizen Khan, Bluestone 42, that ending of life 'comedy' with Neil from inbetweeners, that one with Greg Davies and Roisin Conaty.

Don't think much of IT Crowd either
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hint: any show that describes itself as "quirky", "slow burner", "gentle". These are all phrases that mean not funny. Also anything that makes a feature of having children in the show: children, with very few exceptions, just haven't developed their comic acting ability.

A fairly reliable list would be anything that Sky One has commissioned as comedy, such as: The Cafe, Mount Pleasant, Trollied, Moone Boy (deserves a special mention for execrable writing, acting and sheer creepiness), Stella and the much forgotten, or should that be repressed: Chickens - basically all of them.
    However that just highlights the general malaise in british sitcom writing. A shorter list would be to ask which are the good ones - though no doubt someone would list as "good" all the garbage that Sky churns out. Ho, hum.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Hint: any show that describes itself as "quirky", "slow burner", "gentle". These are all phrases that mean not funny. Also anything that makes a feature of having children in the show: children, with very few exceptions, just haven't developed their comic acting ability.
    Outnumbered isn't bad, the child actor who plays Ben is pretty good.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A fairly reliable list would be anything that Sky One has commissioned as comedy, such as: The Cafe, Mount Pleasant, Trollied, Moone Boy (deserves a special mention for execrable writing, acting and sheer creepiness), Stella and the much forgotten, or should that be repressed: Chickens - basically all of them.
    However that just highlights the general malaise in british sitcom writing. A shorter list would be to ask which are the good ones - though no doubt someone would list as "good" all the garbage that Sky churns out. Ho, hum.

I think Mount Pleasant is excellent, far better than any rubbish the BBC or ITV have made over the last few years. Trollied was also good for the first two series but admittedly is a bit crap now.

edit, forgot to say Mount Pleasant isn't a sitcom, it's a comedy drama.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Rioxxx wrote: »
    Miranda, Mrs Brown's boys and Citizen Khan! I really wish one would come along and shock me with it's originality...here's hoping!

I would also add 'outnumbered' to that list, the BBC really produces some utter tripe these days
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out numbered
  • LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In no particular order of awfulness

Mrs browns boys

Citizen khan

Miranda

Outnumbered
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    There has been some dreadful rubbish broadcast in the name of comedy but I think top of the tree for me is Vicious.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Education was surprisingly good for the frirst two series, and some big belly laughs for me....but really lost something in the last series.

The Big Bad Three of The Weight Way, The Royal Bodyguard, and Mr Khan sounds right to me.

Its funny cos I really liked Mr Khan when he was on Bellamy's People, had an edge to him but I simply cant watch his show...

Bellamy's People - Mr Khan Community Leader: http://youtu.be/zN6QI-2S0IM

Mrs Browns Boys can be really awful too, but I would suggest it can be daftly amusing sometimes.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,890
    Forum Member
    Big Top was pretty sh!te
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long have we got?

Big Flop, Citizen Khan't, the Wright Way, Little Miss Jocelyn, Outnumbered , Gavin and Stacey, The Royal Bodyguard, just about anything on BBC3,.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything involving James Corden
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just about anything on BBC3,.........

Seems to be the case.
  • HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Most comedy is crap these days as the central focus of comedy is to insult, mock, ridicule or exaggerate people. As all of that is now considered racist, sexist, classist or bullying it has pretty much died out in the UK. The last really good one was Little Britain. Yes it was toilet humour, but it can not be denied it had a huge following as a substantial number of people found it genuinely funny.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't disagree more. I find the child actors, especially the lead and his friend Padraig absolutely brilliant.:)
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Miranda was scraping the very bottom of the barrel - a 'Terry & June' or 'George & Mildred' for the generation who were fortunate enough to escape the original tripe.

I'd nominate 'The Job Lot'. First series was good but now has totally lost it's way.