Options

The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I thought the past 2 episodes have/are needed theres only 3 episodes left and i think from here on out its going to be explosive. Its good to take a breather its all building up to a massive climax with Woodbury vs The Prison.

I think Ricks a bit stupid even thinking giving Michone over to the governor will save them, after all he knows what he is capable of.

Dont know if anyone else can tell but i have a feeling who will die in the coming episodes...

My guesses are going to be:
    Andrea, Merle, Hershel, Maggie or Glen one of those two imo and maybe Carol.
  • Options
    Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about that - what on earth did she think would be gained by that? I've been trying to be more positive about Andrea...but I can't think of anything.

You might offer up that information if you're sitting around a war room table trying to figure out what Rick's achilles heel might be, but we know the Governer doesn't trust Andrea enough for that to have been the case. So we must assume it was simpering idle pillow talk. Makes me hate her so much more. Stupid cow.

It's very interesting that the characters I've hated most in this show have been two women and a child, all of them from Rick's side.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode. It's nice to have another quiet one before everything goes to hell.

Anyone notice the odd, quiet look between Darryl and Merle in the prison. They kind of nodded at one another after Rick reveals that they're going to war. I get the impression that they're going to do something to help "in their own way". Or maybe they're just acknowledging that they'll have each other's back when the fighting starts.

By the way, after what Merle did to Glenn and Maggie, I thought the gang was nuts having all those guns layed out in front of him. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that a spoiler in the preview for next weeks?
    Someone was on fire and it looked like Milton.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    Was that a spoiler in the preview for next weeks?
    Someone was on fire and it looked like Milton.
    looked like a generic walker to me - cool though, using walkers as moving incendiary devices:D

______

Tense episode! Starting to seriously dislike Rick though :(

Total team Andrea:D Only kidding _ not feeling the Andrea hate but I do think she's been foolish however, at least she is trying to broker a peace. Hope she is going to come good soon :)
  • Options
    OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole Milton & Herschel and Martinez & Daryl thing came off to me as very contrived; just added to my disappointment with the whole episode because, as with Rick and the character he has been all along at core, neither Herschel nor Daryl would have dealt like that.

Those ****ing people murderously ambushed them, possibly raped Herschel's daughter, pitted Daryl against his brother in a deathmatch to entertain, etc...

Next thing you know they're having a silly little ZombieSmashingJockOff and passing around the cigarettes? Bullshit. Floundering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Lincoln's accent is quite terrible next to David Morrisey's
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Fairly slow episode this week. Hopefully more action next week as we approach the big finale.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It was some first rate flirting. I thought it might end in a kiss.

And how disgusting. We nearly saw a woman's nipple. I tune it to see heads being smashed and stabbed in gruesome, bloody detail, not to potentially warp my mind with such udder filth.

That's no way to talk about Maggie! ;)
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    The whole Milton & Herschel and Martinez & Daryl thing came off to me as very contrived; just added to my disappointment with the whole episode because, as with Rick and the character he has been all along at core, neither Herschel nor Daryl would have dealt like that.

Those ****ing people murderously ambushed them, possibly raped Herschel's daughter, pitted Daryl against his brother in a deathmatch to entertain, etc...

Next thing you know they're having a silly little ZombieSmashingJockOff and passing around the cigarettes? Bullshit. Floundering.

Yeah i think it would of been good if Daryl would of just taken out that guy with his crossbow 'Silent death' ;) then stick one in the governor :cool: I mean in real life i would of. But this is TV :)
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Andrew Lincoln's accent is quite terrible next to David Morrisey's

Neither are particularly suited to their roles .

Have they run out of genuine American actors to play these parts?
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

Quality actors. Cheap prices.

That's why Rafe Spall, Idris Elba and the like are all of a sudden Hollywood leading men. Tenth of a price of the regular fare.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find it very odd, British people complaining about American accents. This happened with Hugh Laurie a lot. Yet the Americans themselves seem to be fine with it, so I guess they think it's all okay, and they're the ones that would know.

I think Lincoln is brilliant myself. Loved the crackling tension between him and the Governor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    When someone says it's a "filler" episode. How is it? When major plot lines move forward (it's either the death of everyone or the exchange of Michonne for everyone's lives). Where does this leave Andrea? She's always had her doubts about the governor but now she's definitely over him, what will she do in order to survive? Considering Glenn and Maggie are living from hour to hour, day to day, I think the sex scene was entirely appropriate. That's what you do with the person you love after you've made up from a fight and the end of the world is looming. .

But everything that happened in this episode could have happened in 20 minutes. The zombie killing bit was a classic example of "filler" have people talking then suddenly go off and kill 6 zombies. At the time you're thinking cool but when the scene stops you cant help but think what the point in it all was.

Just look at the first episode of the series before they got into the prison... it was quite slow but every second was needed.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But everything that happened in this episode could have happened in 20 minutes. The zombie killing bit was a classic example of "filler" have people talking then suddenly go off and kill 6 zombies. At the time you're thinking cool but when the scene stops you cant help but think what the point in it all was.

Just look at the first episode of the series before they got into the prison... it was quite slow but every second was needed.

Last week I was complaining that it was all becoming a bit too depressing. I actually found the scenes with Daryl & Hershal and their counterparts light relief!! It woul dall have been a bit too bleak for me without some humour.

I think it also serves to show that despite all that has happened they are still willing to follow Rick's orders and that they still have some humanity left in them, wanting to reach out and make contact. Plus its the old 'know your enemy'.

So for me the 'flirting':D was all worth while on more than one level.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    loracan wrote: »
    Rick and the governor - so much time devoted to so little.

Indeed. I believe that Rick, in character, would've recognised the murderous lunacy of the Governor, and shot him the instant he had him in his sights.

If he had done that, there was only one bodyguard and brainy bloke- neither of them the biggest Governor fans - left outside. Would they have held their hands up? I think they probably would.

As things were left, I'm thinking that the aforementioned brainy bloke will be the 'surprise' assassin who is the one to put down the Governor.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member

Have not seen any Americans on the forums complain about their accents. Several of their American counterparts in the series have said how good they are.
    Not sure how any Brits can comment on the strength or otherwise of their accents?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member

I thought the episode was a bit patchy, I admit it. It almost felt like we were missing a few vital bits leading up to Rick and the governor meeting up. There's no mobile phones for them to text each other meeting times, so how did it all come about? Did Andrea go back to the prison with another pet to arrange a meeting place?

Why would they take Hershel? The man with a leg missing? Daryl going was a bit weird too considering he had just been held captive by the governor yet he didn't seem all that bothered about the governor being inside with Rick. Instead, choosing to flirt outrageously with the muscle bound Martinez. :D

I feel like the writers are deliberately trying to provoke hatred in Andreas's character in teaming her up with the enemy this season. I get that we need conflict but they way this story is written in the comics, it's done in a more realistic way. The comic book Andrea would have killed the governor the day she met him after being kidnapped from the woods.

Has anyone else noticed how tame the walkers inside the prison fields are now compared to season 1? When Rick and Daryl returned to the prison, the walkers barely even noticed they were there, letting Daryl pass by on his bike like he's one of them. It's too inconsistent at times.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still very much in the camp of "the series is awesome", yet I've found the pacing slightly odd, to have these two episodes, similar in tone, back-to-back.

See at times I wonder if Series decisions are made because the half-season finale is coming up, and they need a big cliffhanger.

I'd have rather had the Lennie James Episode a few episodes earlier.

Minor quibble though, as I've said before I like how they rachet the tension.

Personally agree that Rick is dithering, and not acting as strong as he once would. Yet I think that it's his madness still. The Governor is playing on it too, he knows from Andrea and Tyrell's group that he's weak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I believe that Rick, in character, would've recognised the murderous lunacy of the Governor, and shot him the instant he had him in his sights.

If he had done that, there was only one bodyguard and brainy bloke- neither of them the biggest Governor fans - left outside. Would they have held their hands up? I think they probably would.

The bodyguards weren't even there when Rick and the Governor first faced each other. The Rick that we've been seeing lately, the 'trust-no-one' (especially not the psychotic Governor!) Rick ,would have shot him as soon as he had the drop on him. Sitting and listening to his wife sob stories, and then considering later that maybe the Governor might honour his deal, is out of character.

I would have shot him immediately. I also thought he had a gun under the table as soon as he sat down at the previously set-up table and chairs and asked Rick to sit...a suspicious Rick would have surely thought the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Have not seen any Americans on the forums complain about their accents. Several of their American counterparts in the series have said how good they are.
    Not sure how any Brits can comment on the strength or otherwise of their accents?

I agree. I'm on an American non-TV forum, and only yesterday several commented that they never knew that Rick and the Governor were English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I feel like the writers are deliberately trying to provoke hatred in Andreas's character in teaming her up with the enemy this season. I get that we need conflict but they way this story is written in the comics, it's done in a more realistic way. The comic book Andrea would have killed the governor the day she met him after being kidnapped from the woods.

I still think Andrea will be the one to kill the Governor, as you say in part because we've been provoked to hate her character, so either she redeems herself by killing him or she's out of the show after this season (which I assume will finish the Woodbury storyline).
  • Options
    OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He certainly would have been through with the "Governor" just as soon as the "Governor" rejected the proposal on that map with "I'm here for one thing only... your surrender."

It'd a been...

wait for it... (though there would have been no hestitation, this is just between you and me)...

wait for it...

B-fcuking-BAM!
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quality actors. Cheap prices.

That's why Rafe Spall, Idris Elba and the like are all of a sudden Hollywood leading men. Tenth of a price of the regular fare.

Many American TV producers have mentioned that the reason that they sometimes go to British actors for leading roles is because they're looking for someone that US audiences has never heard of or seen before who's also a "proven" actor with TV or film experience. Hiring high profile American actors for certain leading roles can actually distract some viewers into accepting the character. For instance, If they hired Robert Deniro for the role of Rick in "The Walking Dead", I'd be chuckling a bit because all I'm going to think is "that's friggin' Deniro in a zombie show!". It's a lot safer to go with unknowns with a good resume of TV roles under their belt..

Also, as already stated, British actors are cheap to hire - until the TV show that they're on becomes a massive hit. :)
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Also, as already stated, British actors are cheap to hire - until the TV show that they're on becomes a massive hit. :)
    I think this is more the case. I don't know if its changed at all but certainly around the end of series 1, Norman Reedus and Jon Bernthal were on $80K per episode as opposed to Andrew Lincoln's $40K.