Rich, Russian & Living in London (BBC2)

KeyboardSamuraiKeyboardSamurai Posts: 169
Forum Member
Just took a quick look on these boards and knew there wouldn't be a thread on this quite interesting programme shown last night on BBC2, did anyone watch it?

I also knew there would be loads of posts on the stupid horrible Benefits - Too Fat to Work programme shown at the same time over on CH5.

As usual most folks on here get their little chance to be judgemental and pompous about the poor sods on benefits, so I thought I would start this thread in the full knowledge that the majority (certainly not all) on here would have been far too envious of the wealthy Russians (to watch it), most of whom (the Russians featured) have the serious intelligence to have bettered themselves to the point of being billionaires, and no, not the 'mafia' types, there are many proper decent clever business people who have done well and live like freaking Kings & Queens throughout our Knightsbridge & Mayfair type areas.

So what do you all have to say about yourselves preferring to look down & sneer at the poor but oozing with envy enough not to watch the BBC2 show??

Comments

• rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just took a quick look on these boards and knew there wouldn't be a thread on this quite interesting programme shown last night on BBC2, did anyone watch it?

I also knew there would be loads of posts on the stupid horrible Benefits - Too Fat to Work programme shown at the same time over on CH5.

As usual most folks on here get their little chance to be judgemental and pompous about the poor sods on benefits, so I thought I would start this thread in the full knowledge that the majority (certainly not all) on here would have been far too envious of the wealthy Russians (to watch it), most of whom (the Russians featured) have the serious intelligence to have bettered themselves to the point of being billionaires, and no, not the 'mafia' types, there are many proper decent clever business people who have done well and live like freaking Kings & Queens throughout our Knightsbridge & Mayfair type areas.

So what do you all have to say about yourselves preferring to look down & sneer at the poor but oozing with envy enough not to watch the BBC2 show??
    While I would not necessarily disagree with your overall premise, you appear not to be above a little sneering yourself.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No did not watch more reality tat i am afraid.:(:(
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have a real problem in London with regards to foreigners buying property and pricing locals out of their areas.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Yes, I watched it. The more interesting intellectually stimulating programmes don't normally feature here on DS but often just the tat that instigates so many other posts.
    Very interesting and some beautiful women too. Wow. I wish the native British could speak such good English!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, the irony......
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Yes it's a pity there's so little discussion of this type of programme.

It's the sort of programme I always watch. We hear so much about wealthy Russians in London so it was good to get a glimpse into their lives and reasons for being here. I found them, without exception, to be very pleasant, engaging, people. Especially interesting were their descriptions of the differences between Russian and British characteristics.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Judgemental much ? Or do you really not see the irony in your post ?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »

It's the sort of programme I always watch. We hear so much about wealthy Russians in London so it was good to get a glimpse into their lives and reasons for being here. I found them, without exception, to be very pleasant, engaging, people. Especially interesting were their descriptions of the differences between Russian and British characteristics.
    Totally agree - a 'rich' selection of Russians living in London...but you had to feel sorry for the Wine Guy, all that money and very sad; who is unable to go back home.

Did like the Hot Mum.;-)
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't watch it no, I was too busy laughing at the fatties and poor people. I felt great about myself afterwards.
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »

Yes I agree with your sentiments. Interesting and pleasing programme. Although I was envious I felt good luck to them all.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch it no, I was too busy laughing at the fatties and poor people. I felt great about myself afterwards.

Yes, the combined weight of those bunch of skinny debutantes at the Russian Ball would still be less than a mid-morning snackette enjoyed by the fatty parasites.

In the good old days poor people were thin, rich people were fat, you knew where you were :confused:
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't help but wonder if the model girl was actually a model, or a 'model'.

The little girl with the tiny dog was very cute :)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any of the same one's from MEET THE RUSSIANS?
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    any of the same one's from MEET THE RUSSIANS?
    :D

Yes, I think the 'model' was featured on that ;-)
  • Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    I couldn't help but wonder if the model girl was actually a model, or a 'model'.

The little girl with the tiny dog was very cute :)

I thought she was canny. Seems like she's got her head screwed on firmly. Have to admit, though, I thought that her mum was her sister at first! Almost without exception, they came across as being very nice. Polite and charming, with good English, too.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was canny. Seems like she's got her head screwed on firmly. Have to admit, though, I thought that her mum was her sister at first! Almost without exception, they came across as being very nice. Polite and charming, with good English, too.

Yeah, I was wondering at what age she had her daughter as she looked like her elder sister, but she was very beautiful.

Although that other girl that they interviewed looked so thin I wondered if she was anorexic.
  • Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I was wondering at what age she had her daughter as she looked like her elder sister, but she was very beautiful.

Although that other girl that they interviewed looked so thin I wondered if she was anorexic.

The accountant? Or was she a lawyer? I wasn't mad keen on her. The model lass seemed charming. I was surprised by how polite and flattering they all were. Don't know how much of it was for camera, but Russians have a reputation for being a bit cold until you get to know them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Mother of the young girl with the dog was gorgeous , she didnt look old enough to be a Mom, one of the prettiest women ive seen on TV for ages
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was canny. Seems like she's got her head screwed on firmly. as being very nice. Polite and charming, with good English, too.

A mummy's girl spoilt brat who gets everything she wants I thought , complete with de riguer little legless dog with matching handbag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    A mummy's girl spoilt brat who gets everything she wants I thought , complete with de riguer little legless dog with matching handbag.

She had a bit of an American twang to her accent as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    The Mother of the young girl with the dog was gorgeous , she didnt look old enough to be a Mom, one of the prettiest women ive seen on TV for ages

She was lovely looking I agree.

Reckon the kid was about 10, so mummy is probably early to mid 30s, she did look younger though.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't watch the fat one, but I recorded the one about the obscenely rich Russians buying up London - I've got through most of it with a lot of fast forwarding.

I'm not one to sneer at people like you, but I never miss The Moral Maze (on Radio 4 - the radio channel for the well informed)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »

She was stunning. Naturally beautiful.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The accountant? Or was she a lawyer? I wasn't mad keen on her. The model lass seemed charming. I was surprised by how polite and flattering they all were. Don't know how much of it was for camera, but Russians have a reputation for being a bit cold until you get to know them.

I dunno what she was, but she was one that was shown practicing dancing for the ball.

And one of the interviewees did mention how people comment about Russians not smiling much unlike the British. She also mentioned how Brits appear to be the opposite to Russians as they seem quite open at first, but when you get to know them they put up a barrier.
  • GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just watched this. i find russians rude, corrupt, homophobic and have no taste.
    And dont these people need some kind of visa?