Options

Problems with this year's series for me

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
1. The insincere "I should have turned around for you" stuff. I get that they aren't nasty like the X Factor but they should be honest.

2. Tom Jones is Welsh and that's great. I like him, I like Wales. But do they need to go on about all the time? Give it a rest.

3. Rita Ora's hair. She is stunning and she's not making the best of herself with that hairdo. Jessie J used to often do the same.

Comments

• Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I didn't watch the last series but I did watch 1 and 2 and the problem with this year seems to be that they've run out of good singers so there's a lot of average padding. :blush:

XF has always had this - and the poor singers are are deliberate part of the show - but The Voice was supposed to be all good singers.

You've said everything I thought except I did watch all previous years, gave up on this year but took a look tonight for a bit but now had enough. Waiting for CBB then two hours of Spiral. Considering this is BBCs second biggest show I think they're wasting our money now and should put it to better use. Don't know why I'm getting upset :confused: cos I couldn't care less really :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The insincere "I should have turned around for you" stuff. I get that they aren't nasty like the X Factor but they should be honest.

2. Tom Jones is Welsh and that's great. I like him, I like Wales. But do they need to go on about all the time? Give it a rest.

3. Rita Ora's hair. She is stunning and she's not making the best of herself with that hairdo. Jessie J used to often do the same.

1) I don't think they are being insincere when they say that, as they don't say it to everyone they don't turn round for, in fact they've only said it a couple of times. They say it because either they thought they were good but thought they were better suited to another coach or they say it when they realise the person is actually really young and actually has the potential with the right coaching.

2) Its because the Welsh are obsessed with Tom Jones, that's not really the coaches fault, it's the contestant.

3) I think Rita Ora looks great. She is stunning but she also has some individuality, which isn't a bad thing. Every girl looks the same these days with their long wavy hair extensions. It's nice to see her show that you don't need to conform to one look, to look great.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    It's been said probably 8 to 10 times this series, "I wish I'd turned for you."

The Welsh obsession is over exaggerated by the editing and continued focus of the producers.

Yeah, she still looks great to be fair, but there's just something annoying about the hairdo.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She had a crack team of 5 or so people maintaining her hair and makeup. I overheard one of them say that style was a nightmare to keep looking ok.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not something really new to the series, they've been saying that since the start. It is a little bit annoying I'll admit, but it's better than actually seeing them turn for a really rubbish act.
  • Options
    PilotofthestormPilotofthestorm Posts: 3,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    1) I don't think they are being insincere when they say that, as they don't say it to everyone they don't turn round for, in fact they've only said it a couple of times. They say it because either they thought they were good but thought they were better suited to another coach or they say it when they realise the person is actually really young and actually has the potential with the right coaching.

2) Its because the Welsh are obsessed with Tom Jones, that's not really the coaches fault, it's the contestant.

3) I think Rita Ora looks great. She is stunning but she also has some individuality, which isn't a bad thing. Every girl looks the same these days with their long wavy hair extensions. It's nice to see her show that you don't need to conform to one look, to look great.

Yes we're all obsessed with Mr Jones, eat nothing but leeks and are cast out of Wales if we aren't born with a rugby ball in our hands lol. With respect what a load of tosh. Maybe some choose him because they feel he can genuinely help them, I know that's a bit left field but thought I'd put it out there.
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I didn't watch the last series but I did watch 1 and 2 and the problem with this year seems to be that they've run out of good singers so there's a lot of average padding. :blush:

XF has always had this - and the poor singers are are deliberate part of the show - but The Voice was supposed to be all good singers.

I don't think there have been any 'poor' singers on this show, if you've ever listened to any really 'poor' singers you'd know that. However, they do almost all sound very similar in style to every other singer, and that's making the programme very boring. No-one is doing anything outrageous or different (except for a very few, and most of those didn't get through), it's all very samey, so along with all the sob stories, the manic relatives in the middle of the songs (someone take out whoever in production thinks that's a good idea, and get them a nice job in telesales or somewhere well away from entertainment), it's making the programme uninteresting, to put it mildly.

Anyway, after last night's dismal programme, I'm out for this year.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    The problem with any new series of a talent search style programme is that they usually put the really good singers on in the very first episode. It's probably a tactic used to make people tune in the following week to see if there are going to be more brilliant singers.

That's where the problem starts. Episode 2 is usually when they start wheeling out the "famous for 30 seconds in 1986" and the talent displayed overall in the second week pales in comparison to the first show".

Then you tend to find each passing week is just week 2 all over again with the odd decent singer thrown in for good measure.

So to conclude, the best way to watch The Voice UK would be to watch the first blind auditions show, then have a 4 week break and comeback for the sing offs. If nobody at this stage of the contest interests you then don't bother watching the final.

On another note, they need to scrap the whole final 4 being one act from each team. I still think this is why the first series ended up failing miserably. Still convinced Ruth and Jaz polled more votes than the atrocious Vince who ended up in the final 4 by default but what can you do?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem for me is that they're all decent singers so there are no surprises or lighter moments with the deluded ones. It's just all a bit meh.
    I've watched every show so far this year and I cannot recall a single individual singer
  • Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    On another note, they need to scrap the whole final 4 being one act from each team. I still think this is why the first series ended up failing miserably. Still convinced Ruth and Jaz polled more votes than the atrocious Vince who ended up in the final 4 by default but what can you do?

The strength of the show is the blind auditions as it comes down purely to quality (with one or two mystifying decisions each series). Thereafter it ceases to be about the voice especially when you effectively have 4 competitions going on at the same time. Singers get "drawn out of their comfort zone" to explore their range although to be honest if you asked Buble to sing rap or Will.i.am to sing, well anything they'd both struggle.

An interesting idea tagged on to a bog standard talent show where conservatism tends to win out in the end.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    It really pisses me off too when they say that. They don't have to be nasty just give constructive criticism on why they never turned.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4. the lack of real vocalists who don't just sing in the bath
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    It really pisses me off too when they say that. They don't have to be nasty just give constructive criticism on why they never turned.

In fairness they have done that as well like Rita and Tom did today. Even will give some good feedback to one contestant.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just a mini-theme for one episode. Like how they had a run of sports people, or a run of teenagers. They had a run of Welsh people and made it into a story about the Welsh Mafia. In other eps it was much less of a thing.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

Have to agree about the excuses for not turning around, if they didn't like the audition then say so, doesn't mean it has to be nasty, just more honest, it's cringey at the moment.

Agree about Wales,although I suppose it's the running joke thing, and meant to get funnier in time...

I don't care what people do their hair,just cut out the crap and I do wish the producers would stop making Emma and Marvin shout' go on push the button' - whilst the rellies stand around screaming.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    1. The insincere "I should have turned around for you" stuff. I get that they aren't nasty like the X Factor but they should be honest. .

Yes. No one has the bottle to say, sorry you're just not good enough as a singer. Possibly because a reply might be, neither are you, Will.I.Am.
    2. Tom Jones is Welsh and that's great. I like him, I like Wales. But do they need to go on about all the time? Give it a rest..

Yes. Jones is iconic, and deserves respect. But I am fed up with his boggle-eyed look before turning, fed up with his "Yuuuurghhhh." cry every other contestant, and really fed up with the Welsh/ I know everyone stuff. Let's remember, when his contestant did win the show, she vanished.

I'd prefer her if she stopped the 'look at me' stuff and stopped pretending to drool over male contestants. If she played up the young relative newcomer angle, which is the opposite to Tom, then she'd be better.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this series but not as much as previous ones. The balance of the group of coaches feels good this year - although I like Kylie, last year it felt a bit like it was all about her at times, and all the upheaval with the coaches and presenters didn't necessarily help either.

But despite some pretty hard criticism from viewers and critics, the viewing numbers are holding up well - each of the first three episodes has averaged over 9 million viewers. That's in part because of the lack of competition on ITV1 - last year started strongly too (marginally lower than this year) but the numbers took a noticeable hit when BGT started. But the formula just seems to work well - lots of human interest angle, good variety of singers and song choices and a generally positive vibe. The faster pace of the show we saw last week (15 auditions vs 10 or 11 in previous eps) also helps.

I do agree to an extent that the coaches can be a bit too nice in their comments after not turning, but that's only a mild annoyance.

The one thing that's stopping me saying this season is an outright success is the lack of stand-out performances. In previous years we've had 4 or 5 really distinctive performances that I'll remember long afterwards. This year I'm struggling to remember any for more than a couple of days. That's not to say the quality is poor - it's been pretty consistent - but what we've been lacking so far is genuinely distinctive artists and arrangements.

One other thing I find interesting. Every episode we get 1 or 2 contestants who have either had chart success in the past or have had some kind of near miss - on the whole, they have been among the weaker auditions.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Just watched two auditions in a row, from ep.4 and the pretty blonde got picked, whereas the older lady didn't, but she had a better voice. The pretty girl who got through sounded ropey to me...
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    "PROBLEMS WITH THIS YEAR'S SERIES FOR ME"

- the singers!!
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why they call them 'teams', and act like the contestants are teammates when until the final they are competing against each other. The format really doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Tracker321Tracker321 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. No one has the bottle to say, sorry you're just not good enough as a singer. Possibly because a reply might be, neither are you, Will.I.Am.

Imo, the coaches' comments are appropriately sensitive - I don't equate this with having no bottle'. As for your suggested retort, it's probably just as well that contestants are not coming to you for advice. In any event, Will isn't there to prove his singing ability.