Options

The price of The Guardian-an analogy for a Labour government

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

A question for people who can get the Standard. Since it has gone free is it a paper worth reading or is it just as bad as the Metro?

Standard is good on arts and reviews but seems to be full of articles going on about how London is the best city in the world and its all paradise here yadah yadah and it's fairly capitalist and love Boris Johnson- ie it's not a good paper IMO.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    So they only want to read articles from people who agree with them? So much for the aim of quality newspapers being to make you think.

Reading newspapers whose views I don't agree with 100% is one thing. Reading newspapers that imply that anyone who disagrees even slightly with their worldview is at best mentally ill and at worst a scumbag deserving of being shunned, vilified and ostracised... yeah, I've got better things to do.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The age of newspapers is coming to an end.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    The Guardian - tick
    The BBC - tick
    Eastern Europeans - anyone ?

It's funny that you should mention East Europeans because you would think that with The Guardian being so pro-immigration, they would then employ a lot of cheap immigrant journalists in order to reduce their losses. After all what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny that you should mention East Europeans because you would think that with The Guardian being so pro-immigration, they would then employ a lot of cheap immigrant journalists in order to reduce their losses. After all what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Don't worry, they probably use cleaning firms who in turn use ZHCs to reduce costs further in employing the immigrants who clean their offices. While rallying against zero hour contracts of course.

Just think of the savings if they replaced Rusbridger and Toynbee for people on lower salaries. Anyone can write the sort of tripe La Toynbee comes out with.
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dacco wrote: »
    The Guardian-Too thin for curtains, too shiny for toilet paper. No wonder it has a circulation of a couple of hundred thousand.

It's like reading a transcript from an A. Partridge/ Dan scene at the service station.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    Reading newspapers whose views I don't agree with 100% is one thing. Reading newspapers that imply that anyone who disagrees even slightly with their worldview is at best mentally ill and at worst a scumbag deserving of being shunned, vilified and ostracised... yeah, I've got better things to do.

Yes I have that concern about The Independent. too
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    No, but its website grows from strength to strength.

Does the website make money?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    The BBC buys thousands of copies and they're not exactly frugal with public money (they all take taxis everywhere, executives get £2000 private healthcare per year, big severance pay-offs for execs etc) so they'll pay £1.60 per copy no problem.

The BBC are doing their best to make sure The Guardian doesn't go bust because they's be lost without it.

Where would BBC News get it's editorial lines without it? Where would BBC presenters and panel-show comedians get their opinions?

It would be a disaster.

Could you post a link to that, doubt it.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    But that's not a real comparison in terms of style of newspapers. The Times and the Telegraph both regularly produce high quality articles. Whether you agree with them or not isn't the question. What's the point of only reading articles you agree with? The point of reading them should be to make you think.

Why would I want to read a paper that campaigns against zero hours contracts while using them itself or articles about the benefits that immigration and multiculturalism has bought to out inner cities written by someone from the comfort of their farm house in Tuscany

Hypocracy doesn't even begin to cover ir
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Could you post a link to that, doubt it.
    The BBC bought 58,829 copies between April 1, 2010 and February 28, 2011

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/28709/
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying The Guardian for the first time in a while the other day I was amazed to discover it was £1.60-far more than its quality newspaper rivals. This has been a consistent pattern. I remember several years ago when the other quality titles were having a price war that The Guardian did not cut its price.

What it suggests is that it has an audience that is not price-sensitive, one which takes the view that whatever it costs, that's what it costs. That did set me thinking about whether that reflected a mindset amongst the liberal-left chattering class Guardian audience of being suspicious about attempts to cut costs, relatively affluent and so not resistant to cost increases and generally sniffy about competition, (the 'we don't need a Tesco in our town. We have a Waitrose already. That's sufficient' type of approach.)

If so, does that translate into their view of government? i.e. of being suspicious about any talk of being cost-effective, disliking competition between state services on the basis that their local school is OK and/or they're not services they makes much use of anyway.

In short does the fact that The Guardian apparently feel no pressure to be as cost-effective as the other quality papers tell us that their audience-who is likely to be largely Labour voting-don't much care about being cost-effective and assume that 'if it costs more it must be good'?.

In a word, no. The Guardian's audience lacks price sensitivity not because of some left-liberal idea that you should pay whatever is asked, but because they value the paper highly and don't have many other options.

Lets end this argument with one fact: The FT costs £2.50.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And well worth the money - which is perhaps why it (unlike the Guardian) is profitable. ;-)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    The BBC buys thousands of copies and they're not exactly frugal with public money (they all take taxis everywhere, executives get £2000 private healthcare per year, big severance pay-offs for execs etc) so they'll pay £1.60 per copy no problem.

The BBC are doing their best to make sure The Guardian doesn't go bust because they's be lost without it.
    Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    And well worth the money - which is perhaps why it (unlike the Guardian) is profitable. ;-)

That may be true - but it ends the argument made by the OP that people who are willing to spend £1.60 on a newspaper don't care about controlling costs.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still makes a loss.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Does the website make money?

I think I saw it didn't - which surprised people with the amount of page clicks it gets.

But that is relying on my memory and I am past forty now. ;-)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    But that's not a real comparison in terms of style of newspapers. The Times and the Telegraph both regularly produce high quality articles. Whether you agree with them or not isn't the question. What's the point of only reading articles you agree with? The point of reading them should be to make you think.

The Times Mon-Sat, balanced with The Observer on Sunday works for me.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where would BBC News get it's editorial lines without it? Where would BBC presenters and panel-show comedians get their opinions?

It would be a disaster.

As the BBC sheds left wing anti BNP nuj jobs so the amount of Guardians it buys will go down. :)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    As the BBC sheds left wing anti BNP nuj jobs so the amount of Guardians it buys will go down. :)

An excellent observation (brother). Providing someone remembers to reduce the corporate subscription.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Guardian still losing £100, 000 a day?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah but the Financial Times is read by people who own the country rather than the people who think they should be running it

(to paraphrase Jim Hacker)
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Ah but the Financial Times is read by people who own the country rather than the people who think they should be running it

Originally Jimmy Tarbuck who added the Sun was read by people who didn't care who ran the country as long as they had big boobs
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers: the Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country; and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.