More Petrol Price Cuts On The Way..... Whooppee!

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Petrol prices falling are nothing to do with the government. However they could be bold and cut fuel duty from its ridiculous rate.

Or they could do the sensible thing and raise the duty. Their justification for freezing the duty was the high price of oil but that has now changed and the duty should be increased. They will not do this however as they are too cowardly and prefer to hit the poor.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Or they could do the sensible thing and raise the duty. Their justification for freezing the duty was the high price of oil but that has now changed and the duty should be increased. They will not do this however as they are too cowardly and prefer to hit the poor.

Not with inflation so low and the recovery looking so fragile they won't. Nothing to do with the poor as you eloquently put it.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Looks like cheap petrol is going to cost jobs, The UK's oil industry is in "crisis" as prices drop, a senior industry leader has told the BBC.

Oil companies and service providers are cutting staff and investment to save money.

Robin Allan, chairman of the independent explorers' association Brindex, told the BBC that the industry was "close to collapse". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Do you really believe that the 70% tax we pay at the pumps goes to helping the poor and helping the country? If so with that level of taxation we should have no poor people, the greatest infrastructure in the world and fantastic schools. we don't. This money paid goes into a bottomless pit.

Also, how do you think food arrives in supermarkets? By magic? Higher fuel costs get passed on to consumers.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Do you really believe that the 70% tax we pay at the pumps goes to helping the poor and helping the country? If so with that level of taxaxtion we should have no poor people, the greatest infrastructure in the world and fantastic schools. we don't. This money paid goes into a bottomless pit.

Also, how do you think food arrives in supermarkets? By magic? Higher fuel costs get passed on to consumers.

and the people most hurt by that are the poor. We all have to eat, and if eating is all you can afford now, you're going to be up shit creek if the prices go up.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Looks like cheap petrol is going to cost jobs, The UK's oil industry is in "crisis" as prices drop, a senior industry leader has told the BBC.

Oil companies and service providers are cutting staff and investment to save money.

Robin Allan, chairman of the independent explorers' association Brindex, told the BBC that the industry was "close to collapse". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539

It's not investment per se that's being cut....it's development costs I.E. looking for and bringing in NEW fields.

All they'll do is close down production at a couple of fields...which is all to the good longterm, as it stretches out the "availability" of North Sea oil.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everywhere has reduced their prices. I filled up today and it was 152.9 for diesel :o

Fortunately it just goes on the company fuel card so it doesn't bother me, but I shall avoid filling my own car up at that place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Not everywhere has reduced their prices. I filled up today and it was 152.9 for diesel :o

Fortunately it just goes on the company fuel card so it doesn't bother me, but I shall avoid filling my own car up at that place.

What area was that in? Shetlands?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £1.52.9?!! :o:o

I'm on diesel and the most i've ever paid was £1.42 which was pretty damn scandalous though it was a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What area was that in? Shetlands?

A service station on a major road in Scotland. However it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere and is fairly near a town so no idea how they can get away with charging that much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A service station on a major road in Scotland. However it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere and is fairly near a town so no idea how they can get away with charging that much.

That's exortionate. You should name and shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exortionate. You should name and shame.

Stracathro services on the A90.

Just verified it with Petrolprices.com to make sure I didn't imagine the price. Also they are charging 148.9 for unleaded. :o

It is the only place in the area that I am aware of that accepts loads of different fuel cards, so they probably get a lot of trade from people who can't really go elsewhere and who aren't paying for it themselves anyway.

They also accommodate HGVs, which normal town petrol stations can't.

Only 3 miles away there is a place selling at more normal prices but no good if you have to use a fuel card.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

because you are paying it surely?
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Its a shame most public transport runs on diesel then..meh.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    £1.52.9?!! :o:o

I'm on diesel and the most i've ever paid was £1.42 which was pretty damn scandalous though it was a couple of years ago.

That is :o
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I look forward to a reduction on the price of my bus pass (numerous increases blamed on rising cost of diesel) and a big reduction in food prices (increases blamed on higher transit/fuel costs).

So back to 8p for a tin of beans and 30p for a tin of Tuna please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    because you are paying it surely?
    No he isn't....his employer is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now this is more like it....

Diesel is 33p a litre in Moscow. :o:o

Ukraine where i'm headed for next year is much more expensive though.......at 68p a litre! :(
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got petrol for £1.06 the other day, thought it was a one day offer but the sign is still showing it as £1.06 and the diesel is £1.12.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ukraine where i'm headed for next year is much more expensive though.......at 68p a litre! :(

Venezuela is 6 cents a gallon and look at their economy perhaps there is a link the more your fuel costs the better your currency does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venezuela is 6 cents a gallon and look at their economy perhaps there is a link the more your fuel costs the better your currency does
    That depends which gallon you are using. It's 2 cents a litre so 9 cents for a UK gallon but i don't think you can use price of fuel to gauge a countries economy by. In Saudi its 16 cents a litre (72 cents per UK gallon) but look at their economy!

And how much tax do you think Saudi nationals pay?

Zero!
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What are the prices like in Poland? I'd have to refill halfway to Moscow (on the return trip, too) and even then the tank would would be next to empty when I got back.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stracathro services on the A90.

Just verified it with Petrolprices.com to make sure I didn't imagine the price. Also they are charging 148.9 for unleaded. :o

It is the only place in the area that I am aware of that accepts loads of different fuel cards, so they probably get a lot of trade from people who can't really go elsewhere and who aren't paying for it themselves anyway.

They also accommodate HGVs, which normal town petrol stations can't.

Only 3 miles away there is a place selling at more normal prices but no good if you have to use a fuel card.

I know on the Fuel Cards we have at work there is a weekly per litre price which is set by the fuel card company, wherever you fill up regardless of the pump price the company gets charged that set price.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I look forward to a reduction on the price of my bus pass (numerous increases blamed on rising cost of diesel) and a big reduction in food prices (increases blamed on higher transit/fuel costs)...
    Not a chance. If anything and if our local council have their way, you're likely to see full privatisation of public transport. Either the bus companies run the whole infrastructure (buses, routes, stops and stations) the "big society" does it or its axed. The council is giving serious consideration to a full pull out of public transport funding and is consulting as part of its budget consultation. That'll mean much higher ticket prices and the end of free bus travel unless national Government intervenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be that sort of price here without the punative taxes we have.