Options

Athletics 2013

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    A couple of interesting performances in America over the weekend. The British women's 4x4 team ran 3.22 & change in the Penn relays, the fastest ever time by British squad outside of a major champs. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come - I wouldn't be surprised if Ohurougu won the World title again this year.

Just watched it on YouTube - the girls actually blew it a bit. They lost it on the dip at the line, but Christine Ohurougu messed up on the third leg by trying to sneak through on the inside when when she could easily have got past on the outside, and then Perri Shakes Drayton on the anchor tried to go past too early, when she should have left it to the last 10 metres. She should have learnt a lesson from Kris Akabusi. There's definitely a gold medal possibility there in Moscow.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.sportlive.co.za/moresport/athletics/2013/05/04/olympic-champion-cakir-faces-life-ban-after-second-offence

So Alptekin is being charged with doping YET again and likely she will now get a lifetime ban and be stripped of her 2012 Olympic 1500m gold medal. Also total emarrassment for Turkeys Olympic hopes for Istanbul 2020. One of the stadia in the bid is named after her.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.sportlive.co.za/moresport/athletics/2013/05/04/olympic-champion-cakir-faces-life-ban-after-second-offence

So Alptekin is being charged with doping YET again and likely she will now get a lifetime ban and be stripped of her 2012 Olympic 1500m gold medal. Also total emarrassment for Turkeys Olympic hopes for Istanbul 2020. One of the stadia in the bid is named after her.

The naming of stadiums after people, can really cause embarrassment, it is similar to Brazil hosting the World Cup, and having one of the stadium's named after a corrupt official!
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it on YouTube - the girls actually blew it a bit. They lost it on the dip at the line, but Christine Ohurougu messed up on the third leg by trying to sneak through on the inside when when she could easily have got past on the outside, and then Perri Shakes Drayton on the anchor tried to go past too early, when she should have left it to the last 10 metres. She should have learnt a lesson from Kris Akabusi. There's definitely a gold medal possibility there in Moscow.

Agree that there is more to come. Not sure about a gold medal in the relay - think the Americans & Russians will still be too strong & we don't have enough depth.

Ohurougu ran her fasted ever season opener in Jamaica on Saturday - I have a feeling she will win the individual gold in Moscow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohurougu ran her fasted ever season opener in Jamaica on Saturday - I have a feeling she will win the individual gold in Moscow.

Sanya Richards is out with a toe injury at the moment, don't know if that will be season long.

I've got some stuff about Doha to post tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start lists are up for the Doha Diamond League. Looks a pretty good line up overall, especially for the first meeting of the year. The Women's 400m & Men's 800m in particular look very strong fields.

http://www.diamondleague-doha.com/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview1/

It's on the Red Button from 5PM - a perfect excuse to leave work early. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sanya Richards is out with a toe injury at the moment, don't know if that will be season long.

I've got some stuff about Doha to post tomorrow.

I believe she had surgery in January & is hoping to be fit for the US trials - doesn't sound too promising for her but time will tell I guess.

I posted a link to the start lists for Doha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off we go in Doha, and it is the A team on commentary, Steve Cram and Tim Hutchings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The commentators this evening have been talking about the races in Kingston last weekend - search Kingston Invitational 2013 on Youtube for highlight clips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next athletics up: Sunday 18:30 on Eurosport, an IAAF World Challenge meet from Belem.

What, you don't know where Belem is?

Brazil.

Next Diamond League is Shanghai, on Saturday 18th. Doha meet is now on BBC Player, if you missed it.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next Diamond League is Shanghai, on Saturday 18th. Doha meet is now on BBC Player, if you missed it.

Missed it, was there anything particularly worth seeking out on iPlayer?
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next athletics up: Sunday 18:30 on Eurosport, an IAAF World Challenge meet from Belem.

What, you don't know where Belem is?

Brazil.

Next Diamond League is Shanghai, on Saturday 18th. Doha meet is now on BBC Player, if you missed it.[/QUOTE]

Link please, can't find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Missed it, was there anything particularly worth seeking out on iPlayer?

Lots of good fast times, this was kind of the home meet for the East Africans, so lots of good middle distance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Link please, can't find it.

There is a link on the BBC athletics page but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do not understand, is why the BBC not just put the Doha Meet on BBC2/BBC2 HD? I mean, not much else was on at that time, that way it would be easy to watch it on the IPlayer if anybody missed it, and it would be in HD?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    What I do not understand, is why the BBC not just put the Doha Meet on BBC2/BBC2 HD? I mean, not much else was on at that time, that way it would be easy to watch it on the IPlayer if anybody missed it, and it would be in HD?

It was on the red button. Freeview accessible too. I recorded it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Erikson is leaving his role as British Athletics Head Coach next Month after only taking the job a few Months ago - he's moving back to Canada to be with his family.

Apparantly this could not be foreseen but I'm not sure why unless there is something else we don't know. His family lived in Canada all along when he was Paralympic Head Coach so this situation isn't new.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22536329
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of encouraging results in the last 24 hours.

Jessica Judd - 2:00.37 800m
    Laura Weightman - 8:43.46 3000m - first time under 9m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC preview for Shanghai. Men's long jump, men's 400m and men's 110m hurdles all looking tasty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22568909
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Peter Erikson is leaving his role as British Athletics Head Coach next Month after only taking the job a few Months ago - he's moving back to Canada to be with his family.

Apparantly this could not be foreseen but I'm not sure why unless there is something else we don't know. His family lived in Canada all along when he was Paralympic Head Coach so this situation isn't new.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22536329
    He could be things like his kids getting into trouble. Anyway, hopefully we can now have a British coach now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diamond League just started on BBC Red Button
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome 400m from Kirani James, 44.02. Is he still in his teens?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,053
    Forum Member
    How did Greg Rutherford do - heard he was up against some strong competition includng 2 former Olympic champions.

Congratulations to Jess Ennis on here marriage btw!