Options

John Bercow: Brits should be able to vote for MPs from the comfort of their own home

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BRITS should be able to vote online for their MP to bring Parliament into the 21st century, Commons Speaker John Bercow has said.

He declared that people should be allowed to cast their vote from the comfort of their own homes to save them trekking to the polling station “on a wet Thursday”.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5682957/Bercow-Brits-should-be-able-to-vote-online.html

He's right, I agree with him.

People do their secure banking etc online.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say it would be less open to abuse, than postal voting or just turning up at a station and giving your name.

Comments

• Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good idea , but probably after scrutiny there will be many flaws .
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have the technology so we should be using it, I agree.

There will need to be safe guards to prevent fraud, though.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the shocking record of government (both the Coalition AND Labour) on IT projects, I don't think it's anywhere near practical.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No paper trail, too easy to commit fraud.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

So I assume you know how much this would cost and you did a cost \ benefit analysis before coming to your conclusion.

Care to share your figures with us ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I assume you know how much this would cost and you did a cost \ benefit analysis before coming to your conclusion.

I assume you do?

I very much agree with it in principle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you do?

After you ............

EDIT: I see you edited your reply after I had replied. Your edited reply is much better in my opinion
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Given the shocking record of government (both the Coalition AND Labour) on IT projects, I don't think it's anywhere near practical.

Ain't that the truth. I'm not sure I would trust either party with a large scale IT project again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After you ............

After me what? Your not making any sense.

I fully agree with this in principle, which part of that do you not understand?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of the very big technology companies have advised users to change their passwords after their systems have been compromised... I am not sure this is wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After me what? Your not making any sense.

I fully agree with this in principle, which part of that do you not understand?

Jol, you edited your post. And so I have edited my post in response. OK ?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So would Bercow do away with polling stations if it was raining on a Thursday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Quite a few of the very big technology companies have advised users to change their passwords after their systems have been compromised... I am not sure this is wise.

Yet it's seen as safe enough for banking?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't that the truth. I'm not sure I would trust either party with a large scale IT project again.
    With the current system it's virtually impossible to commit widespread fraud. Why change it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Asking someone for a full cost/benefit analysis in response to them voicing agreement in principle with a proposal for electronic voting from home, comes across as a little unreasonable.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But my bank has changed its online banking system three times and is about to change it again and all for security reasons.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for technology but there's something old fashioned and reassuring about walking the local polling station and ticking a box on a piece of paper. It feels like you are doing something significant and important. Pressing a button on a website or texting a number just makes the whole process the same as voting for someone on X Factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    Asking someone for a full cost/benefit analysis in response to them voicing agreement in principle with a proposal for electronic voting from home, comes across as a little unreasonable.

I posted that to his original post where he gave unequivocal support not to his edited post where he gave support in principle so it wasn't unreasonable at all I hope you are able to agree
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refresh Refresh refresh...................

This is how One DIrection win awards.

Harry Styles for Prime Minister !
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    BRITS should be able to vote online for their MP to bring Parliament into the 21st century, Commons Speaker John Bercow has said.

He declared that people should be allowed to cast their vote from the comfort of their own homes to save them trekking to the polling station “on a wet Thursday”.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5682957/Bercow-Brits-should-be-able-to-vote-online.html

People do their secure banking etc online.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say it would be less open to abuse, than postal voting or just turning up at a station and giving your name.
    I saw something from the highland council about registering for online voting today.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How much would it cost government to put in the same level of security that exists for banking across the whole country for a vote every couple of years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    How much would it cost government to put in the same level of security that exists for banking across the whole country for a vote every couple of years?

What is the cost of democracy? Does it have a price?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well if cost is no object why not pay people to vote, that should increase turnout.

Afterall we only have a £1.4 trillion national debt, nothing to worry about apparently :confused:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look at the US. They have the best democracy money can buy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19052054
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I posted that to his original post where he gave unequivocal support not to his edited post where he gave support in principle so it wasn't unreasonable at all I hope you are able to agree

I can't tell if the OP had been edited. It seems a tad* optimistic on the notions that electronic voting would be better than paper voting, and an explanation of grounds for those beliefs might not go amiss; but I don't see the need for a "cost/benefit analysis" (which, to me, means "a rather weighty and formal report") to justify that position. It's not exactly a normal demand to make of someone to support their position, so it was somewhat surprising to see that in your response.

Anyway, I'm in danger of unintentionally making a bigger deal out of this than it is, so please accept my apologies for the derail.

* "In space terms, that's about half a million miles."