Options

24hr news channels covering celebrity deaths

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Time to move on now Sky and BBC back to the other news now it's been 12 hours.

Just looked at both channels, both are carrying reports on or about Iraq, one an interview with an Iraqi, the other de tails of the RAF plane drop last night.

So what's being missed? just because it is not the top news item does not mean that other news is being forgotten or displaced. It's just not the top story at the moment (and for my part, I only found out about Robin Williams at 6am this morning, there will be others who found out later, and others who are just finding out). And as it stands, the Iraq/Israel crises have few new developments.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky doing 4 special reports on this throughout the day. They should be ashamed of this blanket coverage and 10 mins of reading out tweets.

Social media grief is so false. It's almost like a competition to be sad for 5 mins. I guess tomorrow it will be the internet version of chip paper.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is that there isn't actually enough news to fill a 24-hour channel so when something like this happens - and LA is so easy to cover - all normal editorial judgement is suspended. I noticed that BBC and Sky showed different houses which they both identified as Williams' (maybe he had two) and while Sky said they couldn't get near his star on the pavement CNN were broadcasting live from beside it !
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Sky doing 4 special reports on this throughout the day. They should be ashamed of this blanket coverage and 10 mins of reading out tweets.

You`re mistaken, it`s the same piece four times.

Hardly "blanket coverage". At no point has it monopolised Sky`s output so why the exaggeration?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    ...and while Sky said they couldn't get near his star on the pavement CNN were broadcasting live from beside it !

It was temporarily blocked off for The Expendables 3 premiere. They got to it shortly after.

Arnie managed to shoehorn a namecheck for the movie into his Williams` tribute when interviewed rendering his words instantly hollow and fake.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you weren't up late last night, you wouldn't have heard Robin had passed away until this morning, hense it had to be covered
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Use your off button if you are sick of the blanket coverage.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Use your off button if you are sick of the blanket coverage.

Not sick of it, saying that it needs to be moved down the order now, European dying of Ebola should be above it.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    The extent of my reaction when I heard the news was a raising of my eyebrows.

My first reaction was "Who?" then "Why are they even covering this in the news headlines?"

It should be in celebrity news, after everything else except sports news and weather.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Robin Williams' death, tragic and untimely as it is, of little importance, and the world will carry on turning.

Middle East conflicts, and Ebola both have the potential to wipe all of us out

Robin Williams' death is indeed a very important event, so I find your post a little pretentious and egotistical. World affairs doesn't start and end with troubles in the middle east and diseases in Africa. Ebola has killed 1,300 people in the last few weeks. How many starving children have died of Malaria in the same region during the same time period? We could evaluate anything as being more or less important than something else.

Culture and entertainment play a huge part in human everyday life. Whilst we don't "know" the people involved, we do have a sense of enjoyment and on a personal basis when watching them perform. Robin Williams was a well liked actor with people all across the world getting pleasure from his work. He genuinely brought joy into people's lives. As do other entertainers from musicians and singers to dancers and poets. For the people that these cultural people reach out to, today's news is a big and very important. It doesn't mean they think any other news story is less so. I think you need to realise what you are posting, before you post it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    My first reaction was "Who?" then "Why are they even covering this in the news headlines?"
    Because it IS a news story, even if you and others class it as simply celebrity news.

And it's an important story by way of the stature of that actor, couple with the circumstances of his death.

To class an established and respected actor and comedian such as RW as simply a celebrity is somewhat disingenuous, in my opinion.

Edit: second line added
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    because it IS a news story, even if you and others class it as simply celebrity news.

To class an established and respected actor and comedian such as RW as simply a celebrity is somewhat disingenuous, in my opinion.

Not a question of "celebrity" it is a question of should it still be leading the news after 15 hours?

Should it not be dropping down as new stories come along?

You could say Dora Bryan was an established and respected actress and comedian but she didn't stay on the news for very long if at all did Rik Mayall stay at the top of Sky News for 15 hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a question of "celebrity" it is a question of should it still be leading the news after 15 hours?

Should it not be dropping down as new stories come along?

And I'll ask the same question that I have posed on previous occasions when threads like this come along - what news stories are not being covered properly? Why would a bump down the order serve other stories better (stories that maybe people don't even relate to)?

In truth, it's an editorial decision, not one based upon any strict rule that says one particular event trumps another, or that 1 death under one set of circumstances deserves a higher or lower "place" than 20 deaths elsewhere.
    You could say Dora Bryan was an established and respected actress and comedian but she didn't stay on the news for very long if at all did Rik Mayall stay at the top of Sky News for 15 hours?
    With the best will in the world, neither were of the stature of RW, neither had received so much international recognition for their work, neither had appeared in so many top films. neither had (to my knowledge) received as many Oscar nominations. In fact, both were, to a large extent (an important caveat there), simply British actors in British films who were famous "over here" Neither had received a tribute from the President of the United States either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'll ask the same question that I have posed on previous occasions when threads like this come along - what news stories are not being covered properly? Why would a bump down the order serve other stories better (stories that maybe people don't even relate to)?

I have already said a European dying of Ebola, the police officer suspended in Greater Manchester they should move above this and Robin Williams move down not have Gail Porter on about it and Breaking News Prince Charles comments on Robin Williams.
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    The world changed after Princess Di died. Its now a competition to show your empathy/sadness/sympathy and make yourself part of the mourning event.

That really was a game changer. If you weren't seen to be mourning enough you were in big trouble. It really was OTT.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I have no problem in reality. Robin Williams worked hard as an actor and was a part of major movies throughout the years. Movies/Entertainment is an cultural product, therefore it becomes important.

It's not as if they are going over Paul Walker!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have already said a European dying of Ebola, the police officer suspended in Greater Manchester they should move above this and Robin Williams move down not have Gail Porter on about it and Breaking News Prince Charles comments on Robin Williams.

I did ask which items were NOT covered, or NOT properly covered, I didn't ask about running order!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, a police officer in Manchester getting suspended is in my view, not as important as a major cultural performer who is well loved internationally passing away. i.e, The police officer still exists. He will no doubt be forgotten about by everyone except himself and family by Thursday. Robin Williams has died. He will never be seen onscreen in anything new again. it is a huge story.

The ebola incident has been followed thoroughly since it was discovered. The spanish priest died of ebola but he contracted it in Sierra Leone - not in europe. Therefore the importance of the story has been given the right amount of coverage. It wasn't a "sudden" contraction of Ebola that the priest got. He was transferred home after already having the illness. And Prince Charles expressing his view about Robin Williams is relevant because Prince Charles is relevant - whether or not you like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did ask which items were NOT covered, or NOT properly covered, I didn't ask about running order!

I am talking about THE running order! Robin Williams death is a death the only progress the story can have is cause, unlike a plane going missing which can have after effects, such as, , where is it, why did it happen, who is to blame, coverage for the relatives, will it happen again etc

ISIS in Iraq is a continuing story that is changing and has no end that can be seen, which is why I believe now people are aware of Robin's death it can start to drop down the order as the only news now is "celebrities" saying their condolences which isn't news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    And Prince Charles expressing his view about Robin Williams is relevant because Prince Charles is relevant - whether or not you like him.
    And the mere fact that someone like Prince Charles has seen fit to provide his thoughts is telling in itself I would have thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, a police officer in Manchester getting suspended is in my view, not as important as a major cultural performer who is well loved internationally passing away. i.e, The police officer still exists. He will no doubt be forgotten about by everyone except himself and family by Thursday. Robin Williams has died. He will never be seen onscreen in anything new again. it is a huge story.

The ebola incident has been followed thoroughly since it was discovered. The spanish priest died of ebola but he contracted it in Sierra Leone - not in europe. Therefore the importance of the story has been given the right amount of coverage. It wasn't a "sudden" contraction of Ebola that the priest got. He was transferred home after already having the illness. And Prince Charles expressing his view about Robin Williams is relevant because Prince Charles is relevant - whether or not you like him.

Whether he is relevant or not it doesn't make it an item that deserves to be on the news strap as breaking news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether he is relevant or not it doesn't make it an item that deserves to be on the news strap as breaking news.

Switched on BBC News, 15:04 for a quick look.

Covering Iraq and the Tornadoes taking off. News Ticker covered Ebola, then Greater Manchester Police, then over to Sport and Football (the great god football rears it head again). So the relevant stories are listed and are being covered, just not in the order that you think they should be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

News has and always has been of the 'now'. The stories you refer to are ongoing stories and have been on the news everyday - rightly so. But after umpteen days of covering the same story it tends to lose gravitas with the audience. That doesn't mean the audience no longer cares, but other than new developments (which there really are'nt at present), there really is no need to make it top news just because it is an important story. Robin Williams is, like it or not, todays biggest news story. I really don't see why you would think it differently. If ISIS, Gaza or Ebola developments change then the broadcasters will act accordingly. But these are NOT new stories. Therefore Robin Williams is clearly and obviously the bigger story today. Tomorrow it is likely something else will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    News has and always has been of the 'now'. The stories you refer to are ongoing stories and have been on the news everyday - rightly so. But after umpteen days of covering the same story it tends to lose gravitas with the audience. That doesn't mean the audience no longer cares, but other than new developments (which there really are'nt at present), there really is no need to make it top news just because it is an important story. Robin Williams is, like it or not, todays biggest news story. I really don't see why you would think it differently. If ISIS, Gaza or Ebola developments change then the broadcasters will act accordingly. But these are NOT new stories. Therefore Robin Williams is clearly and obviously the bigger story today. Tomorrow it is likely something else will be.

All I am saying is after 15 hours with nothing left to say it should be moving down I didn't say it should't have been top but it's time to stop saying it's "breaking news" it isn't now and those are "new " stories when something happens ie someone dying of Ebola or aid going from Russia to Ukraine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I am saying is after 15 hours with nothing left to say it should be moving down I didn't say it should't have been top but it's time to stop saying it's "breaking news" it isn't now.

But you also have to remember that most people won't watch rolling news for 15 hours and the news programmes they will watch be at mainly 6pm or 10pm and may well be for the first time. Therefore during today, the Robin Williams story will be important enough to make top billing. Those people who watch at 6 or 10 will have no objection to it being top billing because yesterday it was a different story and tomorrow will be something else. Therefore to that singular audience, the top news story was appropriate.