A Sarah Jane Question

gboygboy Posts: 4,989
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can any fellow Who fans help me out...?

Was Sarah Jane a freelance journalist, or did she work for a paper/magazine?

I always assumed she was a freelancer, but I have a hazy recollection she said in one story (possibly 'Robot'?) that she was attached to a magazine.

Comments

• JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Can any fellow Who fans help me out...?

Was Sarah Jane a freelance journalist, or did she work for a paper/magazine?

I always assumed she was a freelancer, but I have a hazy recollection she said in one story (possibly 'Robot'?) that she was attached to a magazine.

I believe it was for a magazine called Metropolitan, but that's just from memory, I haven't checked and maybe wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metropolitan Magazine was mentioned to blag her way into UNIT in The Time Warrior.

In her SJA days she was always a freelance journalist. She did run into a former colleague on her last SJA, he was either Editor or Food & Drink correspondent from memory. and played by Peter Bowles.
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading in some publication (it may have been one of the Radio Times anniversary specials but I can't say for sure) that she was a freelance journalist so I suppose that, while she may have been writing a story for Metropolitan magazine, she wasn't actually employed by them as a staff writer. It's not actually made clear in the programme itself but, considering she spent three and a bit years gallivanting through time and space, freelance is probably the more plausible option as I suspect a staff writer who rarely - if ever - handed in any work would have got the sack pretty sharpish! :D

Isn't it mentioned in K9 & Company that she's been working for Reuters?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A freelance investigative journalist.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers.

I was pretty sure she was freelance - agree with the comment above about 3 years travelling the universe being one heck of a leave of absence from any employer!
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

I was pretty sure she was freelance - agree with the comment above about 3 years travelling the universe being one heck of a leave of absence from any employer!

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Metropolitan

according to this - she was employed by Metropolitan around the Pertwee era but resigned at some point. As you say she was away for quite some time.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    She did run into a former colleague on her last SJA, he was either Editor or Food & Drink correspondent from memory. and played by Peter Bowles.

Yes, Peter Bowles is a great actor. Loved To The Manor Born. Ponelope Keith is excellent.

I remember seeing Peter in the 1970s version of Survivors. I've got the box set of that on DVD. I believe he was only in a few episodes, cos he caught the virus that was sweeping through Britain, and then died.