Options

Union J better than 1D.. !!??

2»

Comments

• Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're better vocally but doubt theyll become as big as 1D as Timining was the key for 1D they came along at the perfect time
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no they're not
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbeez1 wrote: »
    if their new song is different from their previous singles it's about time, they need to do something different than the same old pop songs :)

have a listen to SOML, you'll see how your first comment is outdated misconception :o
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    have a listen to SOML, you'll see how your first comment is outdated misconception :o

1D had already done something different with little things (whether people liked it or not...). They have a signature sound with some of their singles, but they have also done different things.
    Story of my Life is showing another vibe now.
    (in case you wanna give it a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJpbfprVro)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Union J. I much prefer them to 1D. I'm not usually a fan of boy bands, but I love them. Can't wait for their next single and their album. Beautiful Life is a great song too.
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D are iritating as hell but Union J have been severely
    Let down by their management and their material.

I really like The Risk and The Collective :)
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union J lacks the Fun Factor of 1D. George is the only funny one, Josh is too pouty, and the other two...
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction are much better than Union J.

I know lot's of people dislike 1D's music because it is quite bouncy pop but just look at both of their debut singles. What Makes You Beautiful vs Carry You. I don't think many can deny that WMYB is a very good, strong, catchy song whereas Carry You imo is extremely poor. It is so repetitive, the chorus is too bland.

Putting aside the music though, One Direction have great chemistry and are very likable. I simply don't feel the same way about UJ.
  • Options
    NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would argue that it's not really about the music.

Yes One Direction must had a way bigger production than Union J right from the start and their music is really "well" written and laser focused on what their target audience wants to hear but they wouldn't be where they are at all if they didn't have such great chemistry between them and if the way they behave didn't connect like it does with their fans.

Everyone likes to shout stereotypical boyband but the way they actually behave around each other, given the fact that they do are a boy band, is quite unique.

Though I agree 1D's music is 95% crap, I think they are often given less credit in their sucess than they actually have.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Union J are better. Both are very different though. 1D will probably split in a few years time and who can blame them?!! They will have earned millions of pounds that will set them up for the rest of their life, have broken records and have had an amazingly successful career. They have becoem so huge that in a few years time I think that naturally, they will want to split up and go onto different things. In terms of Union J, I think they are a better "band". Vocally they are much better than 1D and their music feels a lot more mature. Their album is far, far better than 1D's albums. However, 1D are aimed at a younger audience so obviously their music is a lot more pop. I think Union J will be able to stay around for years to coem though having top 10 hits and will be able to stay consistently in the charts, changing their music etc. I don't think 1D can change their style of music too much. They've got their target audience and there's no way they'll be able to be aimed at an older audience. That's the curse of being under Simon Cowell though...he limits you musically to what you can do. On the other hand though, he's also made them earn millions! Overall though, I think Union J will last longer.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union J are better. Both are very different though. 1D will probably split in a few years time and who can blame them?!! They will have earned millions of pounds that will set them up for the rest of their life, have broken records and have had an amazingly successful career. They have becoem so huge that in a few years time I think that naturally, they will want to split up and go onto different things. In terms of Union J, I think they are a better "band". Vocally they are much better than 1D and their music feels a lot more mature. Their album is far, far better than 1D's albums. However, 1D are aimed at a younger audience so obviously their music is a lot more pop. I think Union J will be able to stay around for years to coem though having top 10 hits and will be able to stay consistently in the charts, changing their music etc. I don't think 1D can change their style of music too much.

I'm not sure if Union J will be around for years to come. Their album dropped from 6-31 last week and has only sold 21k and this is with radio support.
  • Options
    BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vocally they are not as diverse in sound as 1D. Apart from Jaymi who is really a strong singer, there isn't must too them that would make them far better than 1D. That JJ is weaker than the weakest singer in 1D and the other two George and josh are no better than Liam! Harry or Zayn...or in fact all the 1D boys.

It looks like the Union J album may be out the top fifty on Sunday. At least they did better than The Wanted. We'll see if their next single can revive interest in the album but I do feel that Union J got signed and so forth based on false hype.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Union J, just because I see them as a more "traditional" boyband to 1D, and I have a soft spot for those types of boybands, but the main thing they suffer from is a lack of identity. I think that coming out fairly soon after 1D, with an unimaginative record label, has made it difficult for them to carve their own path. Carry You was a decent choice for a first single as it had its own sound going on, but Beautiful Life was 1D-lite and didn't improve on subsequent listens. I haven't listened to their album so I don't know if there are better songs on that, but the response to it seems to have been pretty underwhelming. Still, I think they've probably got enough potential to get a second album released with RCA. I just hope they go with a more pure pop direction; plenty of dancefloor tracks and power ballads.

I do genuinely think they're better singers overall than 1D, although having Jaymi in the group is a large part of that. I also think they're better looking, but none of them have the charisma of Harry Styles. Well, I lie, I think Jaymi probably does (he's naturally very witty in interviews), but for obvious reasons he doesn't get the female response that Harry does.

Still, I think at this point in time I can definitely concede that 1D are the better group overall. They've stepped up their game in the last few months in terms of the quality of their single releases and that was the main issue I had before with them: how lazy their music has been in the past. I still don't think they'd be anywhere near as successful if Harry wasn't in the group, but he is, so they are, and I'm sure that's a massive relief for Syco. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I like them both. I think union J will be mostly uk and europe success. 1D had Simon and timing on their side.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 38 I am too old to like boybands (I am from the time of the brilliant New Kids on the Block).

I prefer 1 Direction though - Union J seem like a carbon copy of 1D!!! Jaiyme, is it, from Union J? Brilliant brilliant singer though, I must admit!
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union J are better. Both are very different though. 1D will probably split in a few years time and who can blame them?!! They will have earned millions of pounds that will set them up for the rest of their life, have broken records and have had an amazingly successful career. They have becoem so huge that in a few years time I think that naturally, they will want to split up and go onto different things. In terms of Union J, I think they are a better "band". Vocally they are much better than 1D and their music feels a lot more mature. Their album is far, far better than 1D's albums. However, 1D are aimed at a younger audience so obviously their music is a lot more pop. I think Union J will be able to stay around for years to coem though having top 10 hits and will be able to stay consistently in the charts, changing their music etc. I don't think 1D can change their style of music too much. They've got their target audience and there's no way they'll be able to be aimed at an older audience. That's the curse of being under Simon Cowell though...he limits you musically to what you can do. On the other hand though, he's also made them earn millions! Overall though, I think Union J will last longer.

I think you're way too optimistic about UJ. Their fanbase is similar to One Direction's. I know quite a few teenage girls who liked Justin Bieber first, went to One Direction and are now fans of UJ. But considering there's not much hype around them, they're probably over very soon, these girls won't stay with them for much longer.
    Having a gay member and one who is becoming a father certainly doesn't help in that respect (that's just a fact, not an endorsment from me...).

So I don't see them having any other top 10 hits, certainly not hits that stay around in the charts for a few weeks. They could get a high first week peak with a big effort, but the general public don't seem to be very fond of them...
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both rubbish
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I do genuinely think they're better singers overall than 1D, although having Jaymi in the group is a large part of that. I also think they're better looking, but none of them have the charisma of Harry Styles. Well, I lie, I think Jaymi probably does (he's naturally very witty in interviews), but for obvious reasons he doesn't get the female response that Harry does.

I have heard both their singles (but only 1 or 2 times), and I don't hear any amazing voice that is miles above the others... I have seen people go on about Jaymi, so I suppose it is true, but the songs chosen don't show it off that well IMO.
    If they are going for vocal superiority, they need the right tracks to show it, I'm not sure it's the case.
    I haven't heard the album, so perhaps it's obvious there.

While the singles are usually fast catchy songs, some 1D tracks showcase their voices well, but they usually are slower album tracks... although I think SOML showcases their voices pretty decently.
    So based on some of their singles, I understand why people wouldn't hear Zayn's amazing voice, or Liam's & Harry's which are both also very good for different reasons.
    I also think that Niall & Louis aren't bad -like some people make them out to be (especially poor Louis), and they both have a noticable tone (you know it's them singing) which I think is a good thing.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't agree that Union J will be around for years. I have not listened to Union J's album apart from the singles Carry You and Beautiful Life as well as beethoven but I think the fact that on the album update chart UJ, who released their album a week ago, are at 24 while 1D, who released their album almost a year ago, are at 37 kind of speaks for itself.

I don't necessarily think it is correct that 1D have a younger audience. One Direction have a wider audience imo. I have spoken to children, teenagers, middle aged and elderly people who all very much enjoy 1D's music. I think if I mentioned Union J to the older and middle aged people they wouldn't really know who they are.

In Union J the only one who has a very good voice is Jaymi. The others are just ok to be honest so I definitely don't think they have better voices than One Direction.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    etamine wrote: »
    Go listen to Story Of My Life and tell me it's the same sound as any of their previous single releases.

Sounds similar to Little Things IMO
  • Options
    noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never liked boy groups (bands play guitars and drums etc.....), every one of them just seems so manufactured.

One thing in particular really gets up my nose......

THEY ALL SOUND THE BLOODY SAME !!!

Edit - Oh, and these groups all have a shelf life of maybe 5 years or so. There isn't a single boy group that will go down with the greats of the industry with the exception of The Jackson 5.
  • Options
    ChelseaaKylexChelseaaKylex Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Union J are nothing compared to 1D
  • Options
    JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I like Union J but they won't be as big as 1D. If they'd have waited until 1D lost popularity they might have taken their place. Also, Union J have a higher overall age so don't really fit with the teen demographic.
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelw1969 wrote: »
    I've never liked boy groups (bands play guitars and drums etc.....), every one of them just seems so manufactured.

One thing in particular really gets up my nose......

THEY ALL SOUND THE BLOODY SAME !!!

Edit - Oh, and these groups all have a shelf life of maybe 5 years or so. There isn't a single boy group that will go down with the greats of the industry with the exception of The Jackson 5.

Take That!