Michael McIntyre Chat Show

Comments

• HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guests have been dreadful so far.

Are they on a tight budget?

I would think Michael McIntyre is too big for a show like this.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    There is no doubt that Michael Mcintyre is an excellent comedy performer, possibly one the best ever. - But a chat show format is not for him, It's really funny, I laughed quite a lot, but it's not very 'chat show'. It's just him performing his stand-up to several different celebrities. and his texting thing is clearly a set-up.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs better scriptwriters. The Clarkson bit consisted of "here you are on the telly years ago" then "Americans have different words for things".
    Good grief.

The Abby bit was better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day and timeslot is also doing this show no favours - on a Friday or Saturday night you can be on as late as you want (to an extent)...but 10:35pm on a Monday? ^_^ Ouch. This isn't even a crude, sweary show like JR/GN/AC anyway so about 9pm on whatever available night would have been better than the graveyard slot it has to make do with. Hell it's probably more suitable for the 2pm - 6pm slot alongside The Alan Titchmarsh Show and The Paul O'Grady Show.

I'll tell you what stand up comedian I reckon would make an easy transfer to the chat show format - Sean Lock. He did well presenting "TV Heaven, Telly Hell" and more recently "Argumental" and it helps that he's a comic genius.....but sadly you don't hear many people singing his praises (nothing was said about him in 2007's Top 100 stand ups list show on C4)...and with this recent boom in the last few years of new/newish stand ups and their numerous live DVD shows taking up lots of shelf space in DVD shops, all we've really heard critics bleat on about are the likes of....

Michael McIntyre
    Dara Ó Briain
    John Bishop
    Kevin Bridges
    Mickey Flanagan
    Russell Howard
    Jack Whitehall
    Sarah Millican
    Rhod Gilbert
    Seann Walsh
    Chris Addison
    ....etc. etc.

....and let's face it - none of them are Sean Lock, are they?
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Lock is indeed very underrated. And TV Heaven TV Hell was very good. But seemed to go unnoticed.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Sean Lock is indeed very underrated. And TV Heaven TV Hell was very good. But seemed to go unnoticed.

Not keen at all on Sean Lock - too sneery for me.

This was a better show, quite funny, but only just a little less shouty and I think you'd have to chain him down to stop him getting up and running about too much. Do they feed him sweets before a show? I like him very much as a comedian but I think he would do much better on a manic game show, where he can run about all he wants and whip the contestants into a frenzy!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried to watch this last night. It wasn't much of a chat show, rather "Michael McIntyre talks constantly and guests sit on a sofa looking lost trying to get a word in". He needs to scale it right back. Ask a question then shut the hell up, not ask a question, then give your own funny answer/anecdote then let the guest start talking for a second then interrupt them to continue your own silly joke.

It's a terrible show. I didn't actually see Davina's chat show but surely this can't be much better.

I like Michael, but this format of show just doesn't suit him. Plus, if he's gonna bother texting people from an audience members phone, at least make it a bit more interesting than "I'm going for a drive, you coming?" Wow, envelope pushing comedy there, Michael! <rolleyes>
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would have thought that the BBC had learned their lesson with Davina, and created a chat show fronted by somebody who they knew can interview people.

But no. They still think that the name is more important than talent.

Putting it on a Monday night and then repeating it just 2 days later shows it's being treated as nothing more than a schedule filler.
    It's yet another programme with the same guests who've been other similar shows telling the same old stories.
    The whole 'chat show' format is as stale as month old bread.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

Be thankful for small mercies..cannot abide him and find him deeply unfunny.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Be thankful for small mercies..cannot abide him and find him deeply unfunny.

Glad to know someone else doesn't like him much either. He spoils Eight Out of Ten does Countdown for me.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    Glad to know someone else doesn't like him much either. He spoils Eight Out of Ten does Countdown for me.

Same here.;-)
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He makes me laugh more than anyone I've ever watched on TV :D:D:D
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    There is no doubt that Michael Mcintyre is an excellent comedy performer, possibly one the best ever. - But a chat show format is not for him, It's really funny, I laughed quite a lot, but it's not very 'chat show'. It's just him performing his stand-up to several different celebrities. and his texting thing is clearly a set-up.

I suppose it takes all sorts but I don't even find McIntyre funny as a stand-up. I just can't take to him at all. I much prefer people like Rhod Gilbert, Sean Lock, Rich Hall, Jeremy Hardy - but then again - there are people who will find these people unfunny.

Its a funny old world isn't it?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Again I suspect that the mobile phone owner is not a random audience member. 31 replies in 10-15 minutes? I don't think so
    I doubt the amount of replies in that amount of time. It could take several hours just to get a handful of replies back and most, if not all of them would be "eh?"

I also think it would get boring doing the same bit every week.

Also noticed that it was the same phone as 'his own'. I didn't know phones could wirelessly transfer live video to a screen. Amazing these new iPhones.

I thought it was a better show and better guests but he's still not slotted into the chat show host role.
    and what happened with the monologue. It seemed to just be cut off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's a shame as I agree with a lot here that Michael Is a very funny man, but a chat show is not right for his large personality. He is great with an audience/public so I could see him in something like The Generation Game where he can interact and use his physicality to its full potential
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I like MM and this is an easy watch. I'd like him to tone down his bits during the interviews and let his guests talk. MM can do his jokes between guests.

Abbey Clancy is very fit.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I loved episode two, much better than the first
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't believe the phone thing is genuine, for a second.

If I sent a text messages to everyone on my contacts, I'd get about 4 replies 2 or 3 days later, if I was lucky!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with some of the criticisms e.g. the guests setting up Michael McIntyre rather than the other way around, I am enjoying tonight's repeat.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been a fan of the Jay Leno show I like this show now.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe the phone thing is genuine, for a second.

If I sent a text messages to everyone on my contacts, I'd get about 4 replies 2 or 3 days later, if I was lucky!
    And that of course means that everyone else is the same as you and your friends, yes?

I know that if I sent a group text to everyone in my phone that I would have at least 20 replies within 5 minutes. A younger generation who are always on their phones, there's no way they'd have to wait that long for replies. Michael used a young guys phone and the majority of people he texted were probably young too. I don't see a problem with it, apart from the lame "joke" he sent to his contacts. At least send something a bit more risque!
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the producers have said to him to play it 100% for laughs - this is no Parkinson or more "serious" chat show where we actually find out something about the guests. On this we find out diddly squat about them!

But don't know if it would work either if it was more "serious" - possibly not. He's more madcap than anything else (agree he would do well with something like The Generation Game revived)...

Won't watch it again not that I don't like him, but I have other things I could watch instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    Not keen at all on Sean Lock - too sneery for me.

His 15 Stories High show was very good but, yes, especially on QI when there is someone making interesting intelligent comments he will put them down in quite an anti-interlectual way totally against what the whole show is about.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that Nigella Lawson has chosen this programme to be the first chat show she’s done since the drug taking revelations. It’ll be on the 31st March I think. I guess she wants a short interview that isn’t going to be revealing rather than a Piers Morgan in-depth style one.

Personally I thought the second show was better than the first, although it really is a vehicle for Michael McIntyre’s stand up with a few guests for him to bounce off of.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the second show.

Best chat show on TV at the moment can't believe it's been axed:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/23/uncomfortable-michael-mcintyre-not-returning-for-second-chat-show-run-as-bbc-threaten-axe-4673992/

No wonder is going downhill lacks good chat shows.