Options

Anyone else changed plans for X-Mas day?

UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm fully aware just how sad this is, but has anyone else changed plans since finding out The Christmas special was on at 7? I was meant to be going to my friend's for gift swapping e.t.c at 7.30 but I've told them I'll be there for 8 as it clashes with "something I can't get out of" and every one of them said "Doctor who is on isn't it?"

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I'm fully aware just how sad this is, but has anyone else changed plans since finding out The Christmas special was on at 7? I was meant to be going to my friend's for gift swapping e.t.c at 7.30 but I've told them I'll be there for 8 as it clashes with "something I can't get out of" and every one of them said "Doctor who is on isn't it?"

Lol, bless you that's exactly what I'd do. My family are very tolerant of my Who watching and know that it may involve me leaving to be in another room :-)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,061
    Forum Member
    A few years ago, we were going to spend Christmas night with friends who lived around the corner, but they knew our 8-year-old boy was a big Doctor Who fan (like me) and agreed we'd all sit down and watch that year's Christmas special together.

A few days before, they announced their 11 year old daughter thought Doctor Who was boring and didn't want us to watch it - and so they had agreed with her we wouldn't.

Needless to say, our plans changed and we didn't go.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    In a word - NO.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everyone knows that I disappear for an hour on Christmas Day.

I am glad it is on at 7 because it gives me the opportunity to get the guests out of my house before it starts. had to watch it on delay last christmas
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That made me laugh out old! :D

Since my mum has been a newly converted Doctor Who fan since Matt Smith took over the role, for once this year I'll be with my folks for Xmas knowing that watching Doctor Who will be no problem, though no doubt I will still have to put up with my step dad grumbling about it!
  • Options
    Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    A few years ago, we were going to spend Christmas night with friends who lived around the corner, but they knew our 8-year-old boy was a big Doctor Who fan (like me) and agreed we'd all sit down and watch that year's Christmas special together.

A few days before, they announced their 11 year old daughter thought Doctor Who was boring and didn't want us to watch it - and so they had agreed with her we wouldn't.

Needless to say, our plans changed and we didn't go.
    That's plain bad mannered and I don't blame you for cancelling.

For the past few years Christmas day has been the only day I get to watch it live, when the kids go to their dads is dependent on whether they want to watch it here or there (it's been referred to in the past as Dr Who day by the youngest!)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is so funny.

I may be able to watch it live this year - last year it was down to i-player. Fingers crossed. :)

UrMyStar's story reminds me of earlier this year when I was without a computer and due to go on holiday when DW was on.

I was going on to my son about how I needed a computer soon, for various reasons, and he said "It's so you can watch Doctor Who on iplayer as soon as you get back from holiday, isn't it?"

Which was absolutely true, and just shows how well he knows me.:)
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it'll change my plans, probably not. I will be recording on my HDTV and if at my brother's house there's loads of people around then I wont be watching it live. I'll watch it back at mine, providing there is quiet. If not I'll do what I did last year and watch it at 1am (I was working last Christmas day and got back at 11:30pm)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - Can't you just stick it on your sky planner. for record//
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so excited, 2 years ago at Christmas I showed my nephew Doctor Who for the first time and now at last the bug has caught, his letter to Santa is asking for the bestest Dr Who collection EVER! I shall be watching it with my nephew Charlie who will be wearing the fantastic 11 outfit I have been putting together for him. (It's really hard to find a tweed jaket for a 6 year old!)
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely, any self respecting fan will already have worked out that Doctor Who would be on between 6 and 8 on Christmas Day and not planned anything during that time? ;)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time is Downton Abbey on? ;)
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    LOL - Can't you just stick it on your sky planner. for record//

I'd be in the house for the first 20 mins of it and to be in the house, knowing it was on and not watching it :eek:

stafs wrote: »
    Surely, any self respecting fan will already have worked out that Doctor Who would be on between 6 and 8 on Christmas Day and not planned anything during that time? ;)

I have no idea why, but I thought it as a 6/6.30 start so agreed to meet at 7.30 as they only live a couple of minutes away. It was a spur of the moment "is 7.30 good for everyone" everyone was going "I think dinner will be done by about then so that's fine" "yeah I'll see my Dad in the afternoon" and I was thinking to myself "They live two minutes away, if doctor who's on at 6.30 I could be there for 7.30" and just nodded my head :D
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing is, I won't have a nap in case I miss it.:confused: I did that last year, missed the last few minutes but managed to watch it again another time.:D I blamed the mince pies.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have moved the time for my party - or told everyone to come early and be quiet. lol.

I'm over here in the states so no big deal on time or anything. I got back here in 2009 and HATED not being able to watch on Christmas day. last year they fixed that and my family - who I have thankfully turned into fans, makes it easier on them lol - know to work around it. we normally celebrate my dad's birthday after dinner and the know it must be done by show time :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me, I'm going to eat lots, drink lots and still watch Doctor Who at 7! :D:D:D
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me, I'm going to eat lots, drink lots and still watch Doctor Who at 7! :D:D:D
    :D

are you going to wear a christmas hat while watching it, I am gonna wear my santa hat or one of those hats out of a xmas cracker if it stays on, they tend to fall off when I laugh at xmas cracker jokes:D

The other day I went to the robot thing(Robotville) at the Science Museum and the person I was with, told one of the robots, a knock knock joke about Doctor Who and the robot said "hmm":D you had to be there, very funny:D It was really good, ends tomorrow, I shook another robots hand.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Not really. I don't really plan anything until I know when Doctor Who is on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

My plans were already built around Doctor Who in the first place!