Connie

gboygboy Posts: 4,989
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone remember 'Connie' starring Stephanie Beacham and Pam Ferris? Produced by Central/ITV in the mid 80s?

Brilliant and camp, featuring some wonderfully OTT performances from Beacham and Ferris as two feuding step-sisters fighting over the family fashion business.

It was glorious and camp and summed up the 80s (a kind of UK version of Dallas/Dynasty).

Sadly never repeated or released on VHS - until now.

Network DVD are scheduled to release the series on DVD any time now after a protracted delay over certain rights issues.

I've ordered my copy from Amazon and can't wait to catch up with this forgotten TV gem.

Comments

• Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I remember it as I totally fancied Connie.

I was sixteen at the time it first aired. I can only really remember the first episode.

Connie's boobs kept me watching.

"Connie's back."
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an email from Network a couple of weeks back, saying the release was delayed yet again.

Any news on release date? I have very, very dim, vague, faint memories of it, and would love to see it properly. I'm all for a load of camp old nonsense, especially camp old nonsense set in Nottingham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked Amazon: no sign of a release date there. I wouldn't go holding my breath for this one if I were you, Gboy ... :(
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Connie, what a classic, also remember the theme tune "I'm putting on a show" .....

George Costigan (Bob from Rita, Sue and Bob too) was in it as her ex-husband as well, playing a market trader.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it was repeated because I remember recording late night repeats but I couldn't tell you when that was. It was great, though.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I'm sure it was repeated because I remember recording late night repeats but I couldn't tell you when that was. It was great, though.

Actually, come to think of it - I seem to remember a repeat around 1990. I'm pretty sure I recorded at least some of the episodes, but sadly long-since wiped.

Would be great to see this show again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazon has a release date of 27 Aug (ie: last Monday), but play.com has a release date of 27 Sept. Network DVD (the publisher) doesn't list it in its website at all.

Network's Facebook page, a couple of weeks ago, said that the release date had been delayed once again and they weren't able to confirm a date.

I think the Amazon page is a bit misleading. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon has a release date of 27 Aug (ie: last Monday), but play.com has a release date of 27 Sept. Network DVD (the publisher) doesn't list it in its website at all.

Network's Facebook page, a couple of weeks ago, said that the release date had been delayed once again and they weren't able to confirm a date.

I think the Amazon page is a bit misleading. :(

Amazon are now saying the release date is January 2013!

I'll have lost interest by then...:(
  • FluffyBunnykinsFluffyBunnykins Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this series with great fondness. Very funny and sexy! One line I always remember but can't remember the context "who's let the bunny* out of the hat?!". Would defo buy it but not for £28. Hopefully it will come down in price or be available from my local library.

*no relation :o
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a copy of the novelisation.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been trying to buy this for years. Each time the date gets closer, it's delayed.

I have now completely given up. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAKING NEWS!

Network DVD's Facebook page confirms a date finally set!

Monday 24 September! :D:D:D

After all this time! How totally thrilling!
  • NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great. That's my christmas pressie sorted. I LOVED Connie!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won't hold my breath, but really hope it's true. :)
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to have vague memories of Stephanie releasing the puppies for an official viewing, perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Can anyone confirm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon are true to their word - the DVD arrived today!

Will start watching it as soon as I get home from work tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh. Maybe mine has landed too? I ordered direct from Network. Will keep you posted!

Hope it's as good as I hope it is. (if that makes sense).
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,463
    Forum Member
    Always made me hungry for pie cos she kept rambling on about 'gravy' for some reason. I remember some guy called Peter Straker who never seemed to appear in anything else apart from James Whale's late night shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh. Maybe mine has landed too? I ordered direct from Network. Will keep you posted!

Hope it's as good as I hope it is. (if that makes sense).

First couple of episodes are a bit slow, but (rather like ageing lothario Hector!) once it gets into its stride it's pretty darn good - one or two wobbly moments tho, and it's VERY of its time! But I'm loving it thus far.

The real scene stealer for me is Pam Ferris as nasty Nesta - she's like a vitriolic drag queen dripping poison with every line...:D
    Always made me hungry for pie cos she kept rambling on about 'gravy' for some reason. I remember some guy called Peter Straker who never seemed to appear in anything else apart from James Whale's late night shows.

Peter Straker is known to 'Dr Who' fans for appearing as Commander Sharrell in 'Destiny of the Daleks'.

He was also an accomplished singer, and appeared in a number of West End musicals, including 'Phantom of the Opera' (not the Lloyd Webber version). I met him once and he was a charming bloke.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is one show that I'm glad is being revived. It was like a British Dynasty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My DVD was waiting when i got home yesterday!

I am midway through Bergerac series 5 at the moment, and will give Connie a go when I've finished with Bergie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched ep.1 last night: the sound quality is dreadful, but it's great fun. The dialogue is preposterous. Really nice to see Nottingham on TV too (I lived there for a while, a few years back).

It might be the gayest TV programme I have ever seen.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Actually, come to think of it - I seem to remember a repeat around 1990. I'm pretty sure I recorded at least some of the episodes, but sadly long-since wiped.

Would be great to see this show again.

The late-night repeats were screened on ITV in 1987. I missed the original broadcast and was transfixed when I saw it. I've survived on some poor quality VHS's but will definitely be investing in the DVD!

What on earth delayed its release? :confused: Does anyone know?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched ep.1 last night: the sound quality is dreadful, but it's great fun. The dialogue is preposterous. Really nice to see Nottingham on TV too (I lived there for a while, a few years back).

It might be the gayest TV programme I have ever seen.

The dialogue is fantastic. It has a heightened reality about it - but I think that's deliberate, as it's meant as a social commentary on the mid-80s and, in particular, Margaret Thatcher ... all cleverly disguised. It has great roles for women, all the way from Connie, Nesta and Bea down to 'Arnie's little mystery' - the men are forever in their thrall.

Connie is much maligned by people who don't understand it - none of whom realise that writer Ron Hutchinson graduated from it to Hollywood, where he progressed from The Josephine Baker Story to The Island Of Dr Moreau and Traffic ... not bad for someone who wrote 'preposterous' dialogue! ;)