Corrie - was Audrey right to keep the money?

13»

Comments

• -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    But there's no proof that the money given to Audrey was that stolen from Gail. Being the conman that Lewis is, I suspect he already had money and the £9,000 could have come from that. It's a coincidence, yes, but there's no actual proof. I work in a legal environment and proof is everything.

So with that in mind I think Audrey should keep the money.

Surely the bank would know if it's the same money took out from the account by the bank numbers, if they even some sort checks like that
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Audreys money, Lewis was paying her back for the 'pay off' of that other woman so he had intentions of paying that back. Gail didn't give much thought to her children did she? And even less for the mother who was still in bits about her relationship end with Lewis. I think Audrey wasn't thinking straight either but she was right not to let Gail take it at the time the sense of entitlement from Gail was so bad.
  • mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I wouldn't sympathise with her either. Does her utmost best to break up Audrey's relationship and then suddenly sings Lewis's praises, essentially agreeing with Audrey that he was a changed man. Then plans to take off to another country with him without a thought for the rest of the family.

I sympathise with Gail but I sympathise with Audrey more for all the reasons you've pointed out!!
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebeale wrote: »
    tbh no...Audrey's older and should be mature enough by returning the money... ..........

She can't return the money; she doesn't know where lewis is.
    -Batman- wrote: »
    Surely the bank would know if it's the same money took out from the account by the bank numbers, if they even some sort checks like that

I don't think there's any suggestion he turned up at the bank, said he was gail, and asked for 40K ( plus whatever else was in there ) in cash.

Wasn't it mentioned that he'd set up five transfers to other bank accounts? The £9000 could have come from one of those accounts, but it would have to have been done very quickly.

It's even possible he had that amount of cash lying around somewhere.... a lot of the money he'd conned from desperate old women could have been hidden away in case he had to make a quick getaway.
  • molocottagemolocottage Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    But there's no proof that the money given to Audrey was that stolen from Gail. Being the conman that Lewis is, I suspect he already had money and the £9,000 could have come from that. It's a coincidence, yes, but there's no actual proof. I work in a legal environment and proof is everything.

So with that in mind I think Audrey should keep the money.

Quite agree, if the case came to court with a good defence lawyer on Audrey's side, there is no proof that the £9,000 came from the money Lewis stole from Gail's account!
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    She can't return the money; she doesn't know where lewis is.

I don't think there's any suggestion he turned up at the bank, said he was gail, and asked for 40K ( plus whatever else was in there ) in cash.

Wasn't it mentioned that he'd set up five transfers to other bank accounts? The £9000 could have come from one of those accounts, but it would have to have been done very quickly.

It's even possible he had that amount of cash lying around somewhere.... a lot of the money he'd conned from desperate old women could have been hidden away in case he had to make a quick getaway.

But if the money has come out of a bank account the money was transfered too surely the bank notes are traceable
  • jlighthijlighthi Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hugely enjoyable storyline but completely flawed bit of soap opera nonsense. Audrey is right to be aggrieved somewhat. But really her anger should be at Lewis who has manipulated woman after woman over the years including her daughter. All he went through was a little test of his honesty. It was nothing compared to the devastation his victims have been though (including Gail). He is so hugely in the wrong and yet as an audience we are meant to feel for him and his relationship with Audrey which he was in complete control of and it was his decision to end it for no justifiable reason at all.

Garbage really - in the Sons and Daughters school of plotting and no worthy of Corrie really. (But still fun)!
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Aud was right to keep the 9 grand. Gail is a numptie who deserves it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell yes she should have kept it. Gail deserves learning a lesson about loyality and family respect.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting responses, thanks guys.

My first reaction when watching Friday's episode was 'good on you, Audrey' - especially as Gail just assumed she could keep the money without even asking Audrey.

However, thinking about it in the cold light of day, maybe Audrey's being a bit mean-spirited: I doubt she needs the money as much as Gail, and blood is supposed to be thicker than water...
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that Gail meddled in Audrey's relationship but does anyone feel sorry for her because she was genuinely concerned for her Mum.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have kept it, put it in the bank and given it to Gail if she needs it.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just relieved its over now! Watching Gail go all doe-eyed over Lewis was cringeworthy!

She never gets it quite right with the men, bless her, does she?! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have kept it, put it in the bank and given it to Gail if she needs it.

I'd have spent it on beer, footy & women, & just wasted the rest.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    But if the money has come out of a bank account the money was transfered too surely the bank notes are traceable

A good point, but I've no idea what banks do with notes coming in and going out. They must certainly get huge numbers of used notes being paid in, based on some of the people I've been stuck behind.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No she wasn't, she tried to proved Lewis didn't love Audrey but he rejected Stella's mother's advances proving he did love Audrey. His tape reaffirmed his love for Audrey, so in fact Gail couldn't have been more wrong.

What I meant was that she was right about Lewis all along. He is a con man still as he has just conned Gail.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie frankly is the one that's in the wrong here - She should be thinking of any way she can to help Gail out in my opinion. Yeah I know that Gail wasn't really thinking of her when she was planning on running off with Lewis, but the fact of the matter is he wouldn't have been able to do that without Kylie's help and she knows that and going back further the one night stand (I hope) with Nick should make her feel even more guilty.
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    oh yeah let Audrey be stupid enough to give the 9K to Gail who can then be swindled in another two years' time. Get a grip all you having sympathy with Gail! She knew how Audrey had felt about Lewis yet she was prepared to go behind Audrey's back. I still don't know if any of the die hard Corrie fans have confirmed this: did Audrey remortgage her house/business when Gail was duped by Hillman so Gail could keep her house? I'm sure she did and ended up being short of cash because of it. If that's the case then hell yes Audrey is even more right to keep the money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Yes Audrey should keep the money. Gail expects sympathy now but it was only last week she was trying to be fluent in Italian and skipping round singing Lewis' praises, silly cow lol! :D She's been through so much but getting together with her mother's ex is just going too far. She wasn't thinking about her family when she planned to move to Italy and she certainly wasn't thinking of Audrey's feelings when she was plotting with Lewis. She knew her mother loved him but that didn't stop her. I think Lewis was a changed man when he was with Audrey, Gail has stuck her nose into everyone's business for far too long, time she had a taste of her own medicine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Bergy87 wrote: »
    Yes Audrey should keep the money. Gail expects sympathy now but it was only last week she was trying to be fluent in Italian and skipping round singing Lewis' praises, silly cow lol! :D She's been through so much but getting together with her mother's ex is just going too far. She wasn't thinking about her family when she planned to move to Italy and she certainly wasn't thinking of Audrey's feelings when she was plotting with Lewis. She knew her mother loved him but that didn't stop her. I think Lewis was a changed man when he was with Audrey, Gail has stuck her nose into everyone's business for far too long, time she had a taste of her own medicine.

Totally agree with all this! I really really dislike Gail, she has got what she deserves in my opinion...

How Audrey never throws Hillman back at her as evidence of her flawed judgement i dont understand. Chesney was quick to compare Fizz's feelings about Stape to Tyrone, ie saying he was not a bad man, suggesting she was wrong there so might be about Tyrone. I seem to remember Hillman tried to harm Audrey, if I was Gail I would still be trying to make that up to her now!