Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so I lurked. Just a little bit. Just to see if there was any response to my last post. Thank you for your understanding and your warm welcome, old friends (so good to know I'm not forgotten) and cool that Susie, a new name since my time, has taken up the Sagittarian point of view in my absence! As for my handle, New Park, there is no deep significance to the number 54 in my case; it is just the number of the house where I live. If I didn't know that were true, and noticed the coincidence with robspace's handle, I'd be unshakable in contending for some kind of deeper meaning (oh dear, maybe there really IS nothing to the Buddhas!) If I gather any valuable recce or good pictures while I'm in Port Isaac, of course I'll share.

My '54' is for my birth year - 1854... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across this moving article about Tristan Sturrock, who played Danny in series 2. He now has three children with his longtime girlfriend, and wrote a play about his ordeal that he is now performing in New York.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9434764/I-just-thought-what-a-stupid-way-to-die.html
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came across this moving article about Tristan Sturrock, who played Danny in series 2. He now has three children with his longtime girlfriend, and wrote a play about his ordeal that he is now performing in New York.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9434764/I-just-thought-what-a-stupid-way-to-die.html

My son had a very similar operation to the one he describes (C5-C7 fusion) -- not from a traumatic injury but 3 disks in the neck bulging severely causing significant spinal stenosis (and incapacitating pain). He is a nurse, and spinal damage is not uncommon in that profession, As a nurse, he was all too well aware of the possible complications the surgeon described. All did go well, complete with titanium inserts, but he was told by his surgeon that it would probably have to be redone every 10-12 years (not a happy thought).

But Tristam's situation sounds much, much worse. He is very fortunate to have received skilled, timely care and careful rehab. And the strength of character he must have to bring himself back from the brink,-- all in all, not a Danny character at all!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This reminds me of an interview with Martin where he talked about Tristan joining the show in S2 after being in the original 2 Doc Martin movies. He said something about him recovering from a serious back injury. So the back injury happened on May Day 2004 and they filmed S2 in the spring-summer of 2005. Nice to read the whole story behind that tidbit from Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us felt that the famous "I was wrong" speech at the end of E8 meant that DM was immediately going to terminate his contract with Imperial and stay in Portwenn, with their relationship picking up from that point.

Little did we know what was in store for us in S5. But leaving that aside, if we can, what do you think was actually meant by elements of that speech?

'I was wrong about you" -- does that mean that he was wrong that she didn't want him involved -- that he had misunderstood this ? or wrong not to have pushed her harder to make sure that was indeed what she meant?

"I was wrong about London" -- I take this to mean that he admits/knows that she should not have continued to pursue this position once he knew that she was pregnant and back in the village -- but apparently it also means that he was not prepared to do anything about this realization.

From my days in the survey research business, interviewers were always trained to say, when respondents asked what a question mean, "whatever it means to you." I suppose that is the case here, as in so much of the writing for the series, but still, I'd like to figure this out in my own mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Some of us felt that the famous "I was wrong" speech at the end of E8 meant that DM was immediately going to terminate his contract with Imperial and stay in Portwenn, with their relationship picking up from that point.

Little did we know what was in store for us in S5. But leaving that aside, if we can, what do you think was actually meant by elements of that speech?

'I was wrong about you" -- does that mean that he was wrong that she didn't want him involved -- that he had misunderstood this ? or wrong not to have pushed her harder to make sure that was indeed what she meant?

"I was wrong about London" -- I take this to mean that he admits/knows that she should not have continued to pursue this position once he knew that she was pregnant and back in the village -- but apparently it also means that he was not prepared to do anything about this realization.

From my days in the survey research business, interviewers were always trained to say, when respondents asked what a question mean, "whatever it means to you." I suppose that is the case here, as in so much of the writing for the series, but still, I'd like to figure this out in my own mind.

Good questions, NewPark. I have not had a chance to rewatch most of these S4 episodes, but here is my take, barring new information. The viewers were meant to believe exactly what we all believed about the Doc's remarks, producing BP's version of a happy ending. Then, when they began writing and producing S5,E1 - they simply decided to go in another direction because of the somewhat stultifying storyline they subsequently developed for S5.

Now to end up with a different view, I think one would have to go backwards in S4, starting with the final episode - and chronicle all the Doc's dialogue about 1) Louisa, and 2) London. Once done, we could see if there were one or more things the Doc actually said that he was now acknowledging he was wrong about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I recently watched Poldark, initially shown (and very well received) about 35 years ago on BBC and PBS in the US. A DVD has been re-released recently by Acorn. The series is set in Cornwall near the end of the 18th century and uses many locations there. The house of the main character, Ross Poldark, is named Nampara and Roscarrock Farm (now the location of the barn housing the interior of the surgery and production facilities) is used for its exterior. Doyden Castle (the final scene of series 5 of DM) is used as the home of Dwight Enys, a fairly important character. There is also a short scene in series one set in Port Isaac.

In series two a fairly important character is named Morwenna--played by Jane Wymark, now best known as Joyce Barnaby, wife of the lead detective in Midsomer Murders. (Morwenna was a 6th century Cornish saint.)

Finally, for those who love to hate Lia Williams (not her personally, but her character Edith Montgomery), she appears as a rather folorn spinster academic in "Rambling Boy" the second installment of Inspector Lewis series 7--broadcast in the UK but yet to be shown in the US.

None of the above directly relates to Doc Martin but are "emanations" that might be of interest to some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that #2 was not "wrong about London", it was "wrong about leaving" which I think is a different thing. My thoughts:

Wrong about you: I think this might go all the way back to the cancelled wedding. Although everyone seems to agree that it was much too soon, he realized during the 6 months she was gone how much he missed catching a glimpse of her every day. He probably had some thoughts that he would never see her again and I think he was nursing a broken heart. After she returned he realized how much she meant to him, but he kept backing away every time she pushed him.

Wrong about leaving: He realized that he shouldn't have run away, but stayed to be with her and his child - even if she was continuing to hold him at arms length. Even though he said that he was wrong, when S5 began there wasn't much he could do about it because he had a contract in London. AR's death and Dr Dibbs illness gave him some breathing room, but no matter how much he regretted his decision to leave, he didn't have a lot of options available to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    I recently watched Poldark, initially shown (and very well received) about 35 years ago on BBC and PBS in the US. A DVD has been re-released recently by Acorn. The series is set in Cornwall near the end of the 18th century and uses many locations there. The house of the main character, Ross Poldark, is named Nampara and Roscarrock Farm (now the location of the barn housing the interior of the surgery and production facilities) is used for its exterior. Doyden Castle (the final scene of series 5 of DM) is used as the home of Dwight Enys, a fairly important character. There is also a short scene in series one set in Port Isaac.

In series two a fairly important character is named Morwenna--played by Jane Wymark, now best known as Joyce Barnaby, wife of the lead detective in Midsomer Murders. (Morwenna was a 6th century Cornish saint.)

Finally, for those who love to hate Lia Williams (not her personally, but her character Edith Montgomery), she appears as a rather folorn spinster academic in "Rambling Boy" the second installment of Inspector Lewis series 7--broadcast in the UK but yet to be shown in the US.

None of the above directly relates to Doc Martin but are "emanations" that might be of interest to some.

I watched Poldark when it was originally aired and enjoyed it -- can't believe it was 35 years ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Except that #2 was not "wrong about London", it was "wrong about leaving" which I think is a different thing. My thoughts:

Wrong about you: I think this might go all the way back to the cancelled wedding. Although everyone seems to agree that it was much too soon, he realized during the 6 months she was gone how much he missed catching a glimpse of her every day. He probably had some thoughts that he would never see her again and I think he was nursing a broken heart. After she returned he realized how much she meant to him, but he kept backing away every time she pushed him.

Wrong about leaving: He realized that he shouldn't have run away, but stayed to be with her and his child - even if she was continuing to hold him at arms length. Even though he said that he was wrong, when S5 began there wasn't much he could do about it because he had a contract in London. AR's death and Dr Dibbs illness gave him some breathing room, but no matter how much he regretted his decision to leave, he didn't have a lot of options available to him.

You're absolutely right -- it was "leaving" and not "London" and it does make a difference. But if we do accept that he did have to fulfill his contractual obligations to Imperial, then how does he get out of the contract for S6? Or is London always going to be hanging fire?

I like the idea that it goes back to the wedding -- he feels that he was wrong that she wouldn't make him happy.

The "wrong about everything" is pretty comprehensive, though, and pretty much accurate, I would say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »

You're beginning to scare me, Renee.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KiwiKid wrote: »
    :D Hi there
    I am so pleased to see this thread still going - its over a year since I last visited.
    I have very fond memories of posting here with many other DM fans.
    DM is still my favourite show

Please, do us the favor of chiming right in. The more the merrier!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Thanks Susie

I only got 4.19 but that was pure enchantment

That voice...let alone the content :)

Yes, Blue-Eyes, I was quite happy to hear it also!
    Did 4.19 mean you didn't get all 6 minutes or so of it? I listened to it a second time and there seemed to be the equivalent of static on the line in the transmission. If so, try again, as it straightened up when I tried later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »

Thanks, PLM, I've been considering watching Poldark again (I seem to remember watching it many years ago) and you've just given me the further incentive!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »

This is hilarious. How's James Henry doing? Keep up the good work, Renee :D;)
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But he did do something about it. He asked her to go to London with him pretty much right away. Granted, it wasn't graceful (it's different now that it's here), and downright mean (they'd manage if you died). He still wanted to give the surgeon thing a try, I think, to prove to himself that he could perform surgery again. He wanted Louisa and the baby with him. He asked her to come with him even before he realized how unprepared she was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, prompted by daughter's report last night of 2 inches of snow on the ground in Cambridge, I checked the weather today in Port Isaac -- 37 degrees and hazy. Perhaps not too much outdoor filming?

Snowing in Cambridgeshire UK as I write

And we switch to British Summer Time tonight...

Don't think there's much chance of seeing The Doc in his Speedos if they are filming soon...

:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone out there who's from Europe (outside the UK)? Just curious - I know we have such a diversity of contributors, but I don't think I've noticed anyone participating from Europe who doesn't live in Britain. :)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have to analyze more of the dialogue of that I was wrong speech. When they first came into the pub, DM said to the bartender that she is having her baby and Louisa corrects him and says your baby. Then the "I was wrong, about you, about leaving, about everything. I feared the worst when I saw that taxi (DM chokes up). I feared the worst." (I think I got the words mostly right.) I think that the doc upon seeing the crashed taxi thought in that moment he had lost Louisa and his unborn baby, realizing (finally) how much they have are now an important part of his life. At this point, I am so at a loss for the correct words to express how (I) feel that Martin felt about that potential loss of Louisa and their baby--that baby being a part of both of them and their link to the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I think you have to analyze more of the dialogue of that I was wrong speech. When they first came into the pub, DM said to the bartender that she is having her baby and Louisa corrects him and says your baby. Then the "I was wrong, about you, about leaving, about everything. I feared the worst when I saw that taxi (DM chokes up). I feared the worst." (I think I got the words mostly right.) I think that the doc upon seeing the crashed taxi thought in that moment he had lost Louisa and his unborn baby, realizing (finally) how much they have are now an important part of his life. At this point, I am so at a loss for the correct words to express how (I) feel that Martin felt about that potential loss of Louisa and their baby--that baby being a part of both of them and their link to the future.

Good point, Marchrand. I think seeing that crashed taxi finally broke through Martin's denial and allowed him to realize how devastating the loss of Louisa and his child would be for him -- something he was planning to accomplish in slow motion by leaving them behind in Portwenn, all the while denying the impact of that loss on him (and them).
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    There is a Katherine Parkinson interview in today's "Teleghaph". Don't know how to post the link.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What I think is missed the most here, by me, is also what is missed the most, at least by me, at the Castle--LG admitting 1) she was wrong, too (S4)
    2) she loves him, too (S5)

I know the show is "Doc Martin" and the focus is on DM growing and changing. But, since they've developed LG into a somewhat problematic character herself--she isn't the perfect Miss Mary Sunshine--it would be nice for them to allow her to respond in a similar way, showing her own breakthroughs. After all, we see DM emotionally repressed for essentially no reason at all (aside from MC and BP whims) in S5, but we also see no growth in LG, either, as a character.

Adelie opined that their happiness depends on LG, as DM will only ever be able to go so far in his emotional development and removal of personality quirks.

I think although we can assume and see LG welcomes back DM (that KISS in S4 finale), and that, like a child, she needs his repeated love and caring (S5 Castle request for him to say "I love you" over and over), I think we really need to see LG match DM's verbal expressions of love and forgiveness and see her commit to making her own changes, too, in S6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Interesting to know more about her. I went to YouTube to look at a couple of videos of her and watched this funny scene from "The IT Crowd". Who walks into the scene? The actor who played Jonathan in "On the Edge".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
This discussion has been closed.