Options

EU needs another £3.5 billion handout to "stay afloat"

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433931/EU-demands-3-5-billion-governments-afloat.html

http://www.economicvoice.com/the-european-union-wants-more-of-your-money/

http://www.euroexchangeratenews.com/euro-eur-exchange-rate-under-pressure-as-eu-budget-commissioner-requests-a-3-5-billion-bailout/5147
The European Union last night demanded a £3.5 billion bailout from national governments, amid warnings it will run out of cash within months.

In a blunt admission the EU Budget Commissioner Janusz Lewandowski said: ‘We need additional funds to meet our legal obligations.’

Britain’s share will be about £450 million.
The demand comes just six months after the EU was granted an extra £6.4 billion to keep it afloat.

The extra cash will take the total EU budget to £126 billion - an 8.4 per cent increase on the previous year.

Tory MPs last night urged David Cameron to refuse to pay up.
Former Tory Cabinet minister John Redwood said Brussels should cut its spending rather than expect cash-strapped national governments to bail it out again.

He said the demand for more money made a mockery of claims that EU leaders had agreed a ‘tough’ budget deal.

‘It is outrageous that they dare to do this,’ he said. ‘They are very fond of ordering member states like Greece to make cuts - let them now make the cuts they should have made themselves

So yet again the EU, who have proven time and time again they can't manage their finances expect everyone else to go cap in hand to bail them out.

If Cameron agrees to the extra £150 million, at a time when we need the money to be spent here then he will show where his loyalties really are.

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're experts at taking the p!ss. The amount of money that gets wasted/goes missing is huge, they need to get their affairs in order before demanding more money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    They're experts at taking the p!ss. The amount of money that gets wasted/goes missing is huge, they need to get their affairs in order before demanding more money.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cameron had any guts, he'd tell them where to go, and it would do him no harm at all with the voters.

He'd have overwhelming public support.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Lewandowski says "...we need additional funds to meet our legal obligations towards beneficiaries of EU funds"

So who is going to be receiving all these extra billions? If the EU is asking for more funds it should be 100% transparent about where every penny (or cent) is going and why it's needed. Voters are flocking to the likes of UKIP because of the perceived idea that we are throwing away billions of pounds on things which are a complete waste of money, or are doing nothing more than putting even more money into the pockets of fat cats.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £450 million from the UK
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are the EU
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And where is the UK supposed to find this additional £450m?

Being as there seems to be no regard given to the fact we're running a hefty budget deficit I don't see why we should agree to a penny over one twenty seventh (if that's the number of member states) of the shortfall at the absolute most.

I'd much rather we told them to poke it mind you. They need to learn to cut their cloth same as everyone else does.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    So Lewandowski says "...we need additional funds to meet our legal obligations towards beneficiaries of EU funds"

So who is going to be receiving all these extra billions? If the EU is asking for more funds it should be 100% transparent about where every penny (or cent) is going and why it's needed. Voters are flocking to the likes of UKIP because of the perceived idea that we are throwing away billions of pounds on things which are a complete waste of money, or are doing nothing more than putting even more money into the pockets of fat cats.

you are joking of course , auditors have refused to sign off the EUs accounts for the last 20 years due to discrepencies
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    And where is the UK supposed to find this additional £450m?

There are around 25m households in the UK. Most will have at least 1 sofa, so get looking for your £18 donation.

Digging for victory, 21st century style.

Alternatively we just tell the EU to get lost.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    you are joking of course , auditors have refused to sign off the EUs accounts for the last 20 years due to discrepencies

Yes exactly, which is why we shouldn't cough up a single penny until we get those figures...which means we won't ever cough up any extra money. Sorted.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Mr & Mrs Kinnock would like to stump up some of the £10 million pounds they made from the EU ! If thats not reason enough to quit this monstrous organisation, I don`t know what is. :mad:
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they not sell a few buildings? They don't need two parliaments. Has austerity reached the EU commissioners yet?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

EU needs another £3.5 to "stat afloat" reads the same. Adding the word "handout" indicates the author as an agenda. So this story can be safely igored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »

EU needs another £3.5 to "stat afloat" reads the same. Adding the word "handout" indicates the author as an agenda. So this story can be safely igored.

Why can it be ignored? Have we been asked for another £450 million or not? The answer seems to be yes, whether we call it a handout or a bung or a donation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why can it be ignored? Have we been asked for another £450 million or not? The answer seems to be yes, whether we call it a handout or a bung or a donation.

Its a contribution to running costs of the EU

Or a bailout for the bureaucrats of the sprawling EU

It depends on which side of the coin your on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a contribution to running costs of the EU

Or a bailout for the bureaucrats of the sprawling EU

It depends on which side of the coin your on

Indeed, but it cannot be ignored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can it be ignored? .

The author of the story can be ignored because they add the word "handout" to the headline. The headline is just as valid and intelligable without this word.

This suggests the author of the story has an agenda and a view. So I am ignoring their opinions and their story. If I want to gather information about the EU, I will go elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, but it cannot be ignored.

And neither should it

There was a lot of debate over the EU budget earlier this year and what our contribution should be and as far as I'm concerned that should be it

I can't go to my boss three weeks into the month and say I've run out of money I need more until next payday so why should the EU be able to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so why should the EU be able to

Exactly.

The EU should follow the British example. And print new money when it look likes we're going to run out before the next pay day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they not sell a few buildings? They don't need two parliaments. Has austerity reached the EU commissioners yet?

Austerity is a dirty word in the EU, they tell member states to live by austerity but fail to practice what they preach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The author of the story can be ignored because they add the word "handout" to the headline. The headline is just as valid and intelligable without this word.

This suggests the author of the story has an agenda and a view. So I am ignoring their opinions and their story. If I want to gather information about the EU, I will go elsewhere.

So three articles were provided as evidence and you still choose to ignore information provided.

We all know you are uber pro EU but do you really have to be so blinded to the fact that the organisation is hopeless and incompetent with managing its finances.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This suggests the author of the story has an agenda and a view. So I am ignoring their opinions and their story. If I want to gather information about the EU, I will go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

There's the exit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    So three articles were provided as evidence and you still choose to ignore information provided.

We all know you are uber pro EU but do you really have to be so blinded to the fact that the organisation is hopeless and incompetent with managing its finances.

I did find it ironic that he doesn't agree with OP because has an "Agenda" when its clear that it doesn't fit in with his agenda
  • Options
    HarumphHarumph Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did find it ironic that he doesn't agree with OP because has an "Agenda" when its clear that it doesn't fit in with his agenda

The fact that the EU has not managed to sign off its own accounts for 20 years now is my biggest concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harumph wrote: »
    The fact that the EU has not managed to sign off its own accounts for 20 years now is my biggest concern.

Yet still asks for an increase in its budget year on year and handouts when that isn't enough as highlighted today.