Capaldi's costume...

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    The problem with the classic Doctors' clothes is that, progressively, they stopped being clothes and became a costume.

Right up until Tom Baker, each Doctor had his own style - but it always looked as though he was wearing something he had thrown together from genuine clothes. It never looked like an actual costume.

Until Peter Davison.

The 5th Doctor's outfit looked like a costume. And poor old Colin Baker's outfit was exactly the same as Davison's only in horrible colours. You want to complain about the 6th Doctor's clothes? Well, it started with the 5th Doctor!

I think McCoy and McGann had a more subtle look by comparison to Davison and C. Baker, and the same for Doctor's 9, 10 and 11. Perhaps Matt Smith's clothes began to look a bit costumey towards the end, but over all the Doctor's look has been 'clothes' rather than 'costume'.

I hope Peter Capaldi is the same - just something that looks like clothes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    The problem with the classic Doctors' clothes is that, progressively, they stopped being clothes and became a costume.

Right up until Tom Baker, each Doctor had his own style - but it always looked as though he was wearing something he had thrown together from genuine clothes. It never looked like an actual costume.

Until Peter Davison.

The 5th Doctor's outfit looked like a costume. And poor old Colin Baker's outfit was exactly the same as Davison's only in horrible colours. You want to complain about the 6th Doctor's clothes? Well, it started with the 5th Doctor!

I think McCoy and McGann had a more subtle look by comparison to Davison and C. Baker, and the same for Doctor's 9, 10 and 11. Perhaps Matt Smith's clothes began to look a bit costumey towards the end, but over all the Doctor's look has been 'clothes' rather than 'costume'.

I hope Peter Capaldi is the same - just something that looks like clothes!

Agreed.

Fwiw, as a child of about 10 years old when Davison's era began, I really didn't get the costume. It was an affectation.

First, because it was so so different from Baker. And, secondly, it was -too- english. I hated sports, and cricket was just a useless endeavour to me.

Why on earth a doctor needed to be associated with such an example of englishness is still beyond me. It satisfies no-one.

It would be just as jarring to see a Doctor in american football shoulder-pads (that's best left to the Timelords on Gallifrey!).
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I don't mind if it's like a costume. It's part of the fun- if he's going to wear the same thing all the time. And Eight's one is literally a costume- as I recall, it was a fancy dress costume he nicked out of a locker.

In fact, I would like it to be like a costume. There, I said it :D
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,678
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Agreed.

Fwiw, as a child of about 10 years old when Davison's era began, I really didn't get the costume. It was an affectation.

First, because it was so so different from Baker. And, secondly, it was -too- english. I hated sports, and cricket was just a useless endeavour to me.

Why on earth a doctor needed to be associated with such an example of englishness is still beyond me. It satisfies no-one.

It would be just as jarring to see a Doctor in american football shoulder-pads (that's best left to the Timelords on Gallifrey!).

Oooooh, that gives me an idea...

PLEASE can we have 12 in a racing suit, like The Stig (but with no helmet, obviously :p
    Forum Member
    PLEASE can we have 12 in a racing suit, like The Stig (but with no helmet, obviously :p

I think he should wear pyjamas. :P
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooooh, that gives me an idea...

As long as it's black not white. Capaldi's certainly got the body to carry it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll make one prediction for his costume, I bet it has a nice warm coat.

This is an actor who has been around long enough to know what he should be wearing when stood in the middle of a field in Wales during January.
  • sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want him in a long dark blue velvet frock coat and spats !!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see him in a light coloured frock coat, something like this but maybe with a modern shirt/trousers/shoes so we get a mix of the modern and the Victorian.

Maybe give him a heavier darker cape/cloak he can don when it gets a bit chilly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger onesie? ;-)
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something that is different to Victorian or Edwardian style.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Since he's older, how about a 'mid-life crisis' incarnation:
    1. tight fitting, cupping jeans
    2. big leather belt
    3. light coloured shirt open to the navel
    4. gold chain
    5. gold ear stud
    6. cowboy boots (jeans tucked in)
    7. TARDIS turned into a sports car
    Forum Member
    As long as it's black not white. Capaldi's certainly got the body to carry it off.

What, skinny?
    Forum Member
    2. big leather belt
    4. gold chain
    5. gold ear stud

Oh brilliant!
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    What, skinny?

Slender, well shaped. Not too skinny.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2. big leather belt
    4. gold chain
    5. gold ear stud
    Thats Jeremy Clarkson you have described.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    "Time now, to put a Star in our Reasonably Priced TARDIS . . . "
    :D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Stig could be The Master.
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »

One of the Big Finish audios, 'Max Warp' is about a Top Gear-type show about spaceships :)
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He does, doesn't he, I think he's lovely;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a onesie...
  • FraxisFraxis Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »

Seems apt as both Clarkson and the Doctor have now been around Gambon. Plus this... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N77GAsv8X-Q
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Here's Matt Smith in the sixth Doctor's outfit.

I think it quite suits him
    Forum Member
    Will2911 wrote: »
    I think it quite suits him

It looks perfect for children's TV.
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharp, navy blue suit with a t-shirt. A bit more formal than Nine's leather jacket ensemble. Doc Martens.
    Please no frills, frock coats or Victorianara...