Comments

• Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit "samey" for me. Boring, tbh.
  • johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love the subtle hints of pertwees costume, also- who needs flair when you have CAPALDI GLARE :D
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a little too simple.

Part of the joy of the show is that the Doctor is alien, he is eccentric, and he gets away with wearing oddish costumes. He just looks like an extra from a Pertwee era story.

I really hope they don't go too back to basics. Whilst I'd like to lose a bit of the "kiddyness" (timey wimey etc.), I'd hate it to be a totally straight show. It needs some humour.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Part of the joy of the show is that the Doctor is alien, he is eccentric, and he gets away with wearing oddish costumes. He just looks like an extra from a Pertwee era story.

One thing they've done well since 2005, with the exception of Matt's last costume perhaps, is to make outfits that don't seem completely out of place in any given time period. Pertwee's looked odd even for the Seventies, and Davison and Baker 2 would look out-of-place no matter where they were. I think this looks good in the same regard.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    One thing they've done well since 2005, with the exception of Matt's last costume perhaps, is to make outfits that don't seem completely out of place in any given time period. Pertwee's looked odd even for the Seventies, and Davison and Baker 2 would look out-of-place no matter where they were. I think this looks good in the same regard.

Yes, I suppose there is a sort of 'invisibility' about them (though I would call that blandness).
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I think it's a little too simple.

I really hope they don't go too back to basics. Whilst I'd like to lose a bit of the "kiddyness" (timey wimey etc.), I'd hate it to be a totally straight show. It needs some humour.

My Dad dressed liked the Ninth doctor between 1993-1999 and no one ever batted an eyelid or considered him odd or eccentric.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    My Dad dressed liked the Ninth doctor between 1993-1999 and no one ever batted an eyelid or considered him odd or eccentric.

I think the 'oddness' there came from the fact that it wasn't 'odd', like all the previous costumes. It was oddly normal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Victorian magician, so not ordinary at all. Think it works well
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what model the DM's are?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Anyone know what model the DM's are?

http://twelfthdoctorcostume.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-capaldi-look-these-boots-are-made.html

http://www.polyvore.com/dr_martens_affleck_brogue_boot/thing?id=75922226

Just to point that some things never change, a highlighted comment from the BBC Blog on Matt's costume :D
    A very disappointing 'look'. There is nothing unusual or defining about the image. He looks like the Jimmy Olsen character from the Superman comic strip. Very boring, no flair, a bit 'preppy' college student.
    Linda Hardwick, Truro
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that people do research things so well!:D I thought the boots were actually DMs but looking at the photograph comparisons on the blog they do appear to be 'Loake'. I don't like it now ;-)

I love it. I think all the current previous outfits have, at first, seemed 'normal' to me until the person inhabiting them brings the outfit to life and gives them their 'Doctor' quality. They have all had minor adaptions and additions along the way as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Thanks for that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit confused now as the boots have been described as DMs and Loake!
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I don't think they are DMs too smart. Meh would have been pleased to see DM boots!