Options

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014

Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but oh well...

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014 comes to Glasgow on 23rd-25th May. Rita Ora, Pharrell Williams, Paolo Nutini and The 1975 have been announced so far.

Anyone else manage to get tickets for this today? I got a pair for each of the three days. Can't ask for much more for £15! I finish my final university exams on 22nd May and then it's my birthday on 25th May so it's safe to say I'm looking forward to this!

Comments

• Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember I went to R1BW in Dundee 2006, it was free then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still is free. It's just £5 handling fee per pair of tickets.
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woeful line-up so far...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woeful line-up so far...

They've only announced 4 acts of a three day festival. There will be plenty more acts announced.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 isn't in my age demo anymore, i'll stick to kiss and absolute 90s :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Allen set to be announced...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Got tickets for all 3 days too!

Really excited for Paolo Nutini and for those who are going and aren't really a fan, youtube his live performance of Iron Sky at abby road, that will convert you!

I know the full line up is being released in late april but hope they give us the name of some acts before then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay announced as the first headliner for this. A great booking if you ask me.

Rest of the lineup on Monday, apparently.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    Coldplay announced as the first headliner for this. A great booking if you ask me.
    I'm not convinced they are.

I mean for a concert, sure, but for the young teenage to twenty something audience that Radio 1 are so keen to attract these days?

Chris Martin is 37, separated with kids and their music is prime middle age dinner party fare. It's more likely to appeal to the 30 and 40 year olds that the channel was desperate to shed when they got rid of Chris Moyles (Whose breakfast team was seen as out of touch with their intended audience because they were 30-something's with kids and in some cases separated.

Is Cold Play still relevant to the young these days?
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

I mean for a concert, sure, but for the young teenage to twenty something audience that Radio 1 are so keen to attract these days?

Chris Martin is 37, separated with kids and their music is prime middle age dinner party fare. It's more likely to appeal to the 30 and 40 year olds that the channel was desperate to shed when they got rid of Chris Moyles (Whose breakfast team was seen as out of touch with their intended audience because they were 30-something's with kids and in some cases separated.

Coldplay are one of those rare acts who appeal across all sections of society. Their gigs are filled with plenty of young concert-goers, and Paradise and Princess of China off their last album were massive crossover hits with a younger audience, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall to a lesser extent as well.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay are still relevant to Radio 1, though I feel this will be their last time getting R1 airplay before getting the ageist treatment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiesto and Martin Garrix have been announced as headliners for the Friday night.

I don't agree with the earlier suggestion that Coldplay aren't relevant to the Radio 1 demographic but I would somewhat argue that Tiesto isn't. His main success was during the late 1990s/early 2000s when many of the demographic were only a few years old.

It will be interesting who the final headliner is when they are announced on Monday. Nick Grimshaw said "the final headliner makes Coldplay look like the most indie band on the planet" and that he had to prerecord an interview with them at 5am on Thursday to be played when they are announced because "they are too busy being famous to talk to us live".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

Speaking as a 19 year old and on behalf of several of my 18-25 year old friends... Yes.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiesto and Martin Garrix have been announced as headliners for the Friday night.

I don't agree with the earlier suggestion that Coldplay aren't relevant to the Radio 1 demographic but I would somewhat argue that Tiesto isn't. His main success was during the late 1990s/early 2000s when many of the demographic were only a few years old.

It will be interesting who the final headliner is when they are announced on Monday. Nick Grimshaw said "the final headliner makes Coldplay look like the most indie band on the planet" and that he had to prerecord an interview with them at 5am on Thursday to be played when they are announced because "they are too busy being famous to talk to us live".

Judging by Grimmy's idiotic quotes in the past have a feeling that 1D will be the headline act that he is talking about >_<
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lineup for this is being announced throughout the day on Radio 1 today. The Main Stage lineup was announced this morning and is pretty huge:

Saturday - Coldplay, One Direction, Pharrell, Bastille, Jake Bugg, Lily Allen, Ed Sheeran
    Sunday - Katy Perry, Paolo Nutini, Tinie Tempah, Rita Ora, The 1975, John Newman, Kings of Leon, The Vamps

With Kasabian headlining the 'In New Music We Trust Stage' on Sunday night too.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lineup for this is being announced throughout the day on Radio 1 today. The Main Stage lineup was announced this morning and is pretty huge:

Saturday - Coldplay, One Direction, Pharrell, Bastille, Jake Bugg, Lily Allen, Ed Sheeran
    Sunday - Katy Perry, Paolo Nutini, Tinie Tempah, Rita Ora, The 1975, John Newman, Kings of Leon, The Vamps

With Kasabian headlining the 'In New Music We Trust Stage' on Sunday night too.

Isnt that stage for bands who havent made it, or on the precipice of making it? Kasabian have been round the block a bit...
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt that stage for bands who havent made it, or on the precipice of making it? Kasabian have been round the block a bit...

I'm guessing Kasabian only agreed to appear if they were headlining a stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 'INMWT' brand name is used to tie it in with the new music shows on Radio 1 but it just happens to be a handy name for the second stage. Primal Scream and The Strokes have played it over the last few years, neither of whom would be seen as 'new' acts.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I missed the release of tickets for this. I live in Scotland too so I think I would have got tickets fairly easily. Seems they have changed things from the ballet system of years gone by?

What are the options now for getting a ticket? Winning a competition seems slim, what sort of price would we be talking on ebay or gumtree? Any other possibilities?
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woeful line-up so far...

I still stand by this. Terrible line up this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    I can't believe I missed the release of tickets for this. I live in Scotland too so I think I would have got tickets fairly easily. Seems they have changed things from the ballet system of years gone by?

What are the options now for getting a ticket? Winning a competition seems slim, what sort of price would we be talking on ebay or gumtree? Any other possibilities?

They've used the current 'first come first served' system for the last few years but this is the first year that they've allowed people to get tickets for more than one day of the event. In my opinion, it works better than the ballot because it only means that people who really want the tickets get them. With the ballot, people would have a long period of time to apply and many would probably do it just on the off chance they got them without being interested in the music. The 'first come first served' nature means that those who really want tickets can try and get their hands on some. I have many friends in the same boat as me and got tickets to all three days of the event. The old ballot system seemed like too much of a competition and could be 'won' by somebody who never listens to Radio 1. The ticket release this year was done with little fanfare other than a few mentions on the station and on their social media sites. That way, it only is those who have an interest in the station who get tickets.

While the ballot may have been fairer, I think the 'first come first served' ticket release enhances the event itself.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 'INMWT' brand name is used to tie it in with the new music shows on Radio 1 but it just happens to be a handy name for the second stage. Primal Scream and The Strokes have played it over the last few years, neither of whom would be seen as 'new' acts.

Ah right :)
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still stand by this. Terrible line up this year.

Totally disagree - that's a really good line-up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Totally disagree - that's a really good line-up

Coldplay, Katy Perry, Tiesto, Kasabian, One Direction, Calvin Harris, Paolo Nutini, Pharrell and Kings of Leon are all festival headliners in their own right. To have all of them playing is a real coup for Radio 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to it this weekend! Anyone else on the forum going?

I'm especially looking forward to 1D and Pharrell on Saturday and Katy Perry and The Vamps on Sunday!!