Mapp & Lucia

gboygboy Posts: 4,989
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC are to produce a new adaptation of EF Benson's 'Mapp & Lucia', written by Steve Pemberton, and due to commence filming in Rye (Benson's Tilling in the books) this summer.

http://bit.ly/1i0ISUi

Casting:

Anna Chancellor as Lucia
Miranda Richardson as Mapp, and
Steve Pemberton as Georgie

No information as yet on further casting.

I fondly remember the 1980s LWT adaptation starring Geraldine McEwan and Prunella Scales, and I love the books.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Does anyone remember the 80s' version...?

Comments

• seamistseamist Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I love Mapp and Lucia,especially the 1980 series.I can't wait to see Georgie in this new series.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAHOO!

Absolutely love the Mapp & Lucia books, have only read them in the past 5 years. Was thinking of looking at the 1980's version but to know a newer version is being made is wonderful.

Cast sounds ace, Anna Chancellor and Miranda Richardson will be perfect at the snobby, provincial one up(wo)manship.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm, I do not picture Georgie as looking like Steve Pemberton though! Hopefully I'll get past that.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, I do not picture Georgie as looking like Steve Pemberton though! Hopefully I'll get past that.

I just keep seeing Mick Garvey from 'Benidorm' in a ginger toupee...:o
  • DeludoDeludo Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I love the books, i've just rewatched the series on DVD, but ever since the 80s version, i have longed to see them make all the books rather than the last three.

I'm still really looking forward to seeing an update though.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,726
    Forum Member
    They are going to find it hard to better the original series.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember only one moment in the original series. One of them, McEwan I think, exclaiming "oh Molto!"
    I sometimes say that ever since, not really knowing what it meant.
    I looked it up it means "very! or much"
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deludo wrote: »
    I love the books, i've just rewatched the series on DVD, but ever since the 80s version, i have longed to see them make all the books rather than the last three.

I'm still really looking forward to seeing an update though.

I really like the first three books - and they've been adapted successfully for radio, but I don't know if there's enough 'oomph' for them to work as TV adaptations. The main thrust of the final three books (and the two Tom Holt sequels) is the 'bitching' between the two lead characters.

I remember someone commenting at the time about the 80s TV series that Mapp and Lucia were like a slightly more genteel version of Krystal and Alexis from Dynasty.