Options

Emmerdale-You Are Spoiling Our Soap

Comments

• Options
    PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    The OP has to be an non-ED fan trying to stir it.

There is nothing wrong with the show. It has improved since Blackburn - there are more stories on ED than CS that I am looking forward to.

In ED, it's nice that the Donna cancer/Aaron return story has involved half of the village. It gives various characters the chance to 'shine'.

Even James has become bearable this week for me.

We'll you are certainly wrong there. I have watched Emmerdale from the first episode when it used to be shown on a Monday night at 10.30 and no matter what I will still watch Emmerdale. I just would just like a bit more of how it used to be. I appreciate we have to move with the times but there are times when there is just too much of the high drama.
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love a bit of ED. I've not noticed any change in story lines, it's the same as it's always been to me, the usual crime, affairs/sex, illness etc.
    I'm even liking characters I used to hate: Robbie, Chas, Sean (it helps that he's leaving), Brenda, even Adam and Declan are watchable.
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    We'll you are certainly wrong there. I have watched Emmerdale from the first episode when it used to be shown on a Monday night at 10.30 and no matter what I will still watch Emmerdale. I just would just like a bit more of how it used to be. I appreciate we have to move with the times but there are times when there is just too much of the high drama.

I can recall the days when my mum & dad watched Emmerdale every night.
    I only caught bits of it here and there, but even so, it looked so slow, drab with everyone looking middle or old aged.
    The show would die a very quick death if tried to go back to that era!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has to be an non-ED fan trying to stir it.

What a laughably arrogant statement. If you really love something, it is not above criticism, otherwise such 'fans' are no more than sheep.

Emmerdale has several issues, the main one being the urbanisation of what is supposed to be a village. Yet it is full of townies, criminality and immorality. First Blackburn, now Oates, are trying to turn it into NorthEnders and that just leaves long-term fans like me cold. There is also a LOT of bad writing and bad acting, uninspiring storylines, little character development and far too many episodes.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    What a laughably arrogant statement. If you really love something, it is not above criticism, otherwise such 'fans' are no more than sheep.

Emmerdale has several issues, the main one being the urbanisation of what is supposed to be a village. Yet it is full of townies, criminality and immorality. First Blackburn, now Oates, are trying to turn it into NorthEnders and that just leaves long-term fans like me cold. There is also a LOT of bad writing and bad acting, uninspiring storylines, little character development and far too many episodes.

I agree with most of what you said. However the other soaps don't have the same of kind of problems that ED has but they are still struggling and losing viewers.
    The problem with the acting in ED is a big one because it appears a lot of fans do like characters that ham and camp it up panto style.
    ED has a huge cast so cutting back on episodes would be a major problem now. EE has 2 less per week but is still rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    spunger wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you said. However the other soaps don't have the same of kind of problems that ED has but they are still struggling and losing viewers.
    The problem with the acting in ED is a big one because it appears a lot of fans do like characters that ham and camp it up panto style.
    ED has a huge cast so cutting back on episodes would be a major problem now. EE has 2 less per week but is still rubbish.
    Because they're all trying to outdo each other and dish out higher drama than the other and have forgotten what they are - soaps - kitchen sink drama.
    Gavin Blyth tried to turn it into Hollyoaks, Stuart Blackburn into Eastenders and Kate Oates into God knows what, whatever it is it's terrible now.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as 'times change' I would love it if Emmerdale went back to the 2000's era, that has to be be the best decade.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale is the best soap in terms of acting and storyline, why fix something that isn't broken?
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member

Emmerdale has several issues, the main one being the urbanisation of what is supposed to be a village. Yet it is full of townies, criminality and immorality. First Blackburn, now Oates, are trying to turn it into NorthEnders and that just leaves long-term fans like me cold. There is also a LOT of bad writing and bad acting, uninspiring storylines, little character development and far too many episodes.[/QUOTe)

I'd agree for me Emmerdale can be the best British soap on song, but as of late for me its been a bit boring and is beginning to develop Eastenders traits. Too much Ross doesn't make me want to tune in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spunger wrote: »

If the other soaps don't have the same kind of problems as ED has but they are still struggling and losing viewers, then they have the exact same probelms, surely?

ED is slightly different because although there are five episodes of Corrie and four of EastEnders, because EE has no ad breaks it works out at the same amount of material per week. But ED's six episodes means it is actually producing an additional 21 minutes every week. It's manifestly excessive. The casts are big and obviously a fair few would have to go, but Emmerdale and Corrie in particular have a lot of deadwood anyway.

The basic point is, something somewhere has got to give, and it's going to happen before the decade is out.
    BenKeil wrote: »
    Because they're all trying to outdo each other and dish out higher drama than the other and have forgotten what they are - soaps - kitchen sink drama.
    Gavin Blyth tried to turn it into Hollyoaks, Stuart Blackburn into Eastenders and Kate Oates into God knows what, whatever it is it's terrible now.

I don't think that's really true of Corrie. It has one or two high profile stories per year but most if it is melodrama and 'kitchen sink' type storylines. Unfortunately it's doing either very well right now. EastEnders is just a cesspit of immorality and for years has had an unhealthy obsession with murder. I don't really understand the Gavin Blyth turning Emmerdale into Hollyoaks analogy, but Kate Oates is barely any different to Stuart Blackburn. Apart from some flashes of humour and a slightly lighter tone, she has more or less just carried on where he left off.
    attitude99 wrote: »
    As much as 'times change' I would love it if Emmerdale went back to the 2000's era, that has to be be the best decade.

Preferred the 90s myself, but each to their own! :D
    Emmerdale is the best soap in terms of acting and storyline, why fix something that isn't broken?

Not that your biased, or anything.
    I'd agree for me Emmerdale can be the best British soap on song, but as of late for me its been a bit boring and is beginning to develop Eastenders traits. Too much Ross doesn't make me want to tune in.

No, I don't like Ross either. I think Michael Parr is one of the poorest actors in Emmerdale, actually. This week has been weirdly insubstantial. I will switch Emmerdale off when Aaron returns full time.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you, Citadel; it should be renamed Northenders; then people would not be fooled into tuning in thinking they are going to enjoy a rural drama. Perhaps somebody could start a new series, Emmerdale2, for those of us who mourn the loss of 'our' Emmerdale.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel. I do think Michael Parr is a bit overrated but no way is he one of the shows worst actors.
    Marlon being outacted by a toddler.
    The atrociously bad Finn who is down there with Sean and Robbie.
    Jai.
    Rishi.
    Jimmy now hat he's a wet sap comedy bafoon. The actor cannot do comedy.
    Eric has become very ham.
    Sam used to be ok but has lost it over the last year when given more to do.
    All played by worse actors than Parr in my opinion.
  • Options
    narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching when Stuart Blackburn was in charge as he tried to do to many issue based storylines that were all poorly executed and failed to deliver on the excitement and hype he promised in interviews. I thought under Gavin Blyth the show really found a great sense of direction, the only thing I hated during this period was Viv's exit. Clearly there was something happened back stage that resulted in the poor exit she received and despite what is going on personally it should not affect professionalism and it was us as viewers that suffered. I remember shortly before Viv died the programme had given her a make over which lasted a few episodes and Viv disappeared before coming back and hardly appearing then having that terrible exit. I wonder if Deena refused to see her character being altered and as a result they decided to write her out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    narobi83 wrote: »
    I stopped watching when Stuart Blackburn was in charge as he tried to do to many issue based storylines that were all poorly executed and failed to deliver on the excitement and hype he promised in interviews. I thought under Gavin Blyth the show really found a great sense of direction, the only thing I hated during this period was Viv's exit. Clearly there was something happened back stage that resulted in the poor exit she received and despite what is going on personally it should not affect professionalism and it was us as viewers that suffered. I remember shortly before Viv died the programme had given her a make over which lasted a few episodes and Viv disappeared before coming back and hardly appearing then having that terrible exit. I wonder if Deena refused to see her character being altered and as a result they decided to write her out.

On her post-exit interview on This Morning she did indeed say she felt they were trying to change Viv and make her something she wasn't, and she didn't feel comfortable about this. Deena Payne was treated very badly by Gavin Blyth, as was Billy Hartman (Terry Woods).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On her post-exit interview on This Morning she did indeed say she felt they were trying to change Viv and make her something she wasn't, and she didn't feel comfortable about this. Deena Payne was treated very badly by Gavin Blyth, as was Billy Hartman (Terry Woods).
    They were. It was personal and very unprofessional on Gavin Blyth's part. An extremely unpopular move with many, not just the viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    They were. It was personal and very unprofessional on Gavin Blyth's part. An extremely unpopular move with many, not just the viewers.

Absolutely. I don't see why Viv and Terry couldn't have decided to become a couple and have a storyline where they and TJ decided to make a fresh start in Leeds or something. There was no need to kill them off. But Emmerdale seems intent on bumping off as many Windsors as possible.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that Gavin Blythe died 7 weeks before Viv was last seen on screen, I doubt he had very much to do with what was filmed regarding her death.

The character of Viv very much needed brought up to date - she had become a caricature - a parody that was stuck in a timewarp.

I agree that her exit should have been much more than it was though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that Gavin Blythe died 7 weeks before Viv was last seen on screen, I doubt he had very much to do with what was filmed regarding her death.

The character of Viv very much needed brought up to date - she had become a caricature - a parody that was stuck in a timewarp.

Axing Viv would have been Gavin Blyth's decision, and the storyline/exit would have been approved before he passed away.

The way Viv looked and dressed was a part of who the character was, it can't be changed. Blyth was a ratings chaser with little respect for characterisation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axing Viv would have been Gavin Blyth's decision,
    I didn't say it wasn't :confused:
    and the storyline/exit would have been approved before he passed away.
    Again, I didn't say it wasn't :confused:
    But something approved on paper only - he would have no input on what was put on-screen (unless he was still directing from his hospital bad)
    The way Viv looked and dressed was a part of who the character was, it can't be changed. Blyth was a ratings chaser with little respect for characterisation.
    Bib - of course it can.
    If things don't evolve they become stale, stagnate & die.
    Very few people dress & look the same way they did 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say it wasn't :confused:

Again, I didn't say it wasn't :confused:
    But something approved on paper only - he would have no input on what was put on-screen (unless he was still directing from his hospital bad)

Bib - of course it can.
    If things don't evolve they become stale, stagnate & die.
    Very few people dress & look the same way they did 20 years ago.

Really? I've known many people who's style of dress and presentation hasn't changed one iota in all the time I have known them. And anyway, surely who Viv is and the stories she gets are more important than how she looks?

Anyway, that's all in the past. The look of Emmerdale itself is the problem now! It's so drab and dull visually. All greys, greens and browns!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was very popular with this viewer.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really can't agree. I was away due to work last week, and catching up with ED was a joy (especially after the rather bland EE omnibus). I love how clever the aftermath of the Donna plot is, with so many characters involved - and so many with conflicted loyalties. It is giving the stronger actors a lot to do, and Aaron fits in perfectly - suddenly, all the different plot strands have come together in a rather perfect way.

EE has been promising a lot for a long time, but ED has actually delivered it, and in a shorter time. The episodes have been genuinely exciting and interesting to watch. I love Laurel's dilemma, which goes right back to her carjacking all tha time ago. And while I know some people don't like Marlon, I've enjoyed his scenes - one of the joys of ED being the very distinct, well-drawn long-term characters. Far too many soap characters, if they are decent people, are bland and uninteresting, but ED does them well.

It is interesting to see how many characters are being slowly dragged into the story of Priya's marriage, too - Leila and Jai seemed very random but now seems logical.

The burning of the money sounded stupid when I read about it (and repetitive) but it made sense onscreen. Also, it underlined that all Donna's efforts were for nothing, that the crime didn't pay in the end, etc. It was rather heartbreaking.

Also, well done to the writers for giving Sean a good ending - having learned from his mistakes, actually passed some exams and gained some ambition. The character has slowly grown up onscreen, and I really like his positive relationship with Ruby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Storylines are written months in advance not just 7 weeks. It can take up to 6 weeks from filming to screening - more at the end of the year which was when the fire was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Storylines are written months in advance not just 7 weeks. It can take up to 6 weeks from filming to screening - more at the end of the year which was when the fire was.

Oh I'm aware that storylines & concepts are put in place many months in advance - but I very much doubt Kate Oates has a finished script sat on her desk right now for Nov 2014.
    But hey - let's just say Gavin Blythe was a bad man for axing Deena Payne since it seems to be the only thing you want to hear.

Funnily enough Deena hasn't exactly set the acting world alight since she left ED - maybe she should have taken Gavin's advice and allowed her character to be updated.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preferred the 90s myself, but each to their own :D.

Well I just grew up with high profile SL's such as the Tom King Murder, Cain/Charity, The Storm, Kings River Explosion, & more, but as you say each to their own! ^_^