Options

Facebook Questionnaire, share any feedback you have about your FB experience?

6262 Posts: 295
Forum Member
So far I've come up with 5:
1. The system of dealing with people for the 'supposed' offense of adding too many people is needlessly draconian. I would suggest basing it on asking people if they feel in any way 'harrassed' by requests rather than on mere numbers. Failing that, how about some sort of warning that a limit is being approached?
2. Why does there have to be a limit to the number of friends you can have or the number of people you can follow?
3. It shouldn't be possible to be added to a group without your express say-so
4. It should be possible to do a blanket block on being sent apps, none of which are of the remotest interest to me
5. The statuses that show in one's newsfeed are 'randomly selective' with many more items showing in the far less easy-to-follow 'ticker feed' in the right hand margin. Why can members not decide for themselves what shows in the main feed?
It would be great to have an FAQ area with answers to points raised in this questionnaire. Is that a possibility??
I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the above and any further points you'd add?

Comments

• Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    62 wrote: »
    4. It should be possible to do a blanket block on being sent apps, none of which are of the remotest interest to me

This is already possible - look under App Settings and then make sure Platform is set to off.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The algorithm for "adding too many people" is actually quite complex. It is not simply based on how many you send out. There's a factor for how quickly you're doing it. There's a factor for how many of the requests are rejected. There's a facor based on the answer "do you know this person outside of facebook". If your request results in the receiver blocking you that adds in also.

2. The top limit is probably based on the way your freinds list is stored. There also needs to be a method of detecting you in case you show the behviour of a bot that is randomly harvesting contacts with a view to spamming them later on, or simply farming their contact details for other forms of attack. (This also fits into point 1.)

3. Agree, you should get a group request in the same way you get a friend request "<name> has asked you to join <group> do you want this?"

4. See above.

5. Because this is the way that brings your eyes to the adverts and featured stories. Remember with facebook YOU ARE NOT THE CUSTOMER - you are the product. Why would facebook make things the way you want them - you're not paying them! Facebook's customers are the advertisers; they sell the ads with the promise that they will make you look at them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fascinating insight, Paul.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another thing someone might be able to help me with.

Can I like pages without having my preferences broadcast to the world?

I'm not interested in announcing to the world what I like so is there a setting that enables me to turn that off, especially the new 'feature' which actually posts in people's newsfeeds "Matty likes Mongolian Nose Flutes" and "Morris Dancing"?? :confused:

I'm sure I'm not alone in this one!
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not interested in announcing to the world what I like so is there a setting that enables me to turn that off, especially the new 'feature' which actually posts in people's newsfeeds "Matty likes Mongolian Nose Flutes" and "Morris Dancing"?? :confused:

If you could find out how it knows that you like those things, it might be possible to work out a way of stopping it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure its possible, as I think I did that the other day as part of a mammoth session ramping up my privacy on it. They blinking hide options everywhere, they can even use your photos to advertise if you don't turn the option off! :mad: (not with mine they can't though, have knocked that completely on the head!)
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    If you could find out how it knows that you like those things, it might be possible to work out a way of stopping it.

The only true way to stop facebook knowing these things is to not use it at all.

At first that may sound flippant, but it isn't really - I said that because everything you do on facebook is recorded and builds up these things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no specific objection to FB knowing such things, I just don't want them, in turn, to be pointing them out on my newsfeed!