Options

Leon Tipler RIP

6262 Posts: 295
Forum Member
It's been a bad few days for radio bods.

We've lost 3 top broadcasters in 4 days! :(

This from Gary Edwards on The Pirate Archive:
I have some sad news.

Leon Tipler died last night (Sunday) at 9pm. He had kidney cancer and they were in the process of getting him strong enough to go through chemo, but he simply lost the battle in the end.

Leon worked for Offshore stations Radio City and Radio 270 in the 60s and then on Radio Atlantis as Scott Mitchell.

However, he may be better known to the readers of this forum for his production work on Sunshine Radio in Ludlow, both pirate and legal versions including production of The Sunshine Radio Story. He also produced The Irish Pirates documentary for Alfasound.

He presented shows on Sunshine as himself, Uncle Gabby and Arnold. More recently he was heard on Radio Maldwyn and Radio Hafren in Mid-Wales.

Comments

• Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Leon on Sunshine Radio in the 1980's. Very sad news indeed.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I only knew of Leon from his trip to Ireland when he recorded his visits to the Irish pirate stations. Must have being around 1980 or so. Fascinating to listen to his audio descriptions of the stations of the day.
    RIP
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it says Leon did production work on Sunshine in Ludlow, was he the guy that voiced a lot of the ads during their pirate days?