Options

1,400 children abused in Rotherham by primarily Pakistani men

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Could the victims sue the council and police force for negligence ?
    1400 victims will mean a massive pay out
    Having to pay out vast sums should hopefully stop other authorities from making the same mistakes.

The authority paying any fines didn't do anything wrong, the people in it did and jail sentences for them sounds a better idea to me.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a truly awful story. There needs to be a complete root and branch investigation in to why it happened and the factors involved. We can't accept any excuses for the lack of action, we need to shine as much light on this as possible.

If it is the case the fear of racism prevent action from the council or police then that needs to be investigated and the lessons learnt applied throughout the country. It's completely unacceptable that anyone would not act in these cases.

Also I don't really understand why this isn't a massive story. One guy gets a virus in Africa and it's 24/7 coverage. 1400 children abused in the UK and we all grumble and shrug our shoulders . . . .
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Every professional involved - police, council, whoever - should be fired, and then prosecuted for complicity in rape. Of course, they won't be. They've all "learned a lesson" and it'll "never happen again".

I absolutely and unreservedly agree, no argument there from me at all, the perpetrators of these vile crimes should be brought to trial and if/when found guilty they should receive the heaviest sentences that the law allows. and so should anyone found to be guilty of intentionally 'covering up' these vile crimes, there can NEVER be any excuse whatsoever for not investigating such crimes be it because of fear of the possible 'racial' backlash, or the possible religious backlash, as in the cases of the Catholic priests who were 'protected' by the catholic church,
    no excuses for anyone EVER.
    It goes without saying what should happen to the Pakistani rapists.

IT does indeed, 'go without saying' they should be found, arrested. charged, tried and if/when found guilty they should. as I say, have the hardest sentences that the law can give,

But, I am curious as to why you seem to think that their nationality makes any difference? why "Pakistani rapists"?
    had they been white and British would you have said,...
    "It goes without saying what should happen to the British rapists"?
    only I should imagine, that for most people the nationality or skin colour of the rapists should have no bearing whatsoever on the punishment they receive.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also I don't really understand why this isn't a massive story. One guy gets a virus in Africa and it's 24/7 coverage. 1400 children abused in the UK and we all grumble and shrug our shoulders . . . .

Top Story on Sky News.
    Sky News wrote:

Victims were not heard or believed and there was a perception that a “macho and bullying” culture within the council prevented child sexual exploitation from being properly discussed. Professional jealousies between organisations also prevented effective action.

There was “denial” that such events could happen in Rotherham and issues of ethnicity were “played down” by senior managers. "Almost all" the perpetrators were described by victims as being of Pakinstani*origin, but the authorities "wanted to play down ethnic dimensions... for fear of being thought racist."
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There needs to be a complete root and branch investigation in to why it happened and the factors involved. We can't accept any excuses for the lack of action, we need to shine as much light on this as possible.

Arguably unnecessary - you go on to answer your own question:

If it is the case the fear of racism prevent action from the council or police then that needs to be investigated and the lessons learnt applied throughout the country. It's completely unacceptable that anyone would not act in these cases.

It was the aching political correctness of the fear of the "racism" tag that kept the authorities quiet. This was already noted a long time ago when this all first surfaced, but now we've got the report. These crimes go back to the early 2000s, when you could barely say "immigration" without fear of somehow squealing about racism. Thankfully, al that's changed at least, though too late for all these victims.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the same council that refused to allow a couple to adopt because they voted UKIP yet stood by and did nothing about this appalling abuse for fear of being labelled "racist". They should hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These crimes go back to the early 2000s, when you could barely say "immigration" without fear of somehow squealing about racism. Thankfully, al that's changed at least, though too late for all these victims.

I'm not sure it has changed as much as you think it has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, I am curious as to why you seem to think that their nationality makes any difference? why "Pakistani rapists"?

It's in the report - the council et al feared to act because of the "r" word. It would never apply to white British men, because there would be no fear of those white men squealing about racism, in the event that white men had been the perpetrators. The fact that they were Pakistanis is why this went on for so long unchallenged, hence my underscoring of the fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I'm not sure it has changed as much as you think it has.

The change in public perception has been radical. Immigration is quite a hot topic now; back then, you felt you could only whisper the word in dark corners.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not a Labour controlled council? This has also been going on for 16 years.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's part of the culture of these men, so it's not their fault and they can't be blamed. There are so many Islamophobic people out there!
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the report - the council et al feared to act because of the "r" word. It would never apply to white British men, because there would be no fear of those white men squealing about racism, in the event that white men had been the perpetrators. The fact that they were Pakistanis is why this went on for so long unchallenged, hence my underscoring of the fact.

I see, thank you.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »
    It's part of the culture of these men, so it's not their fault and they can't be blamed. There are so many Islamophobic people out there!

That's right. When will people stop blaming Muslims when they've done nothing wrong??

It's bound to be the fault of white British people in Rotherham for making the Muslim population feel marginalised.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the aching political correctness of the fear of the "racism" tag that kept the authorities quiet. This was already noted a long time ago when this all first surfaced, but now we've got the report. These crimes go back to the early 2000s, when you could barely say "immigration" without fear of somehow squealing about racism. Thankfully, al that's changed at least, though too late for all these victims.

I find it hard to believe that this issue is only about fear of racism. If that was the case wouldn't you expect to see minorities avoiding prosecution for all types of crimes? Lets not forget that a host of old white celebrities were also able to commit hundreds of sex crimes whilst the police (and the rest of society) refused to act. It appears to me to be a bigger issue than just the fact these people were Pakistani.

But, you know what, i'm not an expert, I haven't read the full report. So i'm open to the idea that it all was about fear of racism. In which case we need to take the appropriate action to rectify the situation. Lets be clear, at no point did any 'politically correct' campaign or law ever state that a person should not face investigation for a crime because of their race. If that's what happens then it's something that has become part of an unwritten culture and if that's the case we need to find out why.

I assume Pat_Smith that you don't have a general issue with the fight against racism over the last few decades?
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Muslim men.

While, yes, most British Muslims are reasonable and should not suffer from prejudices because of a significant evil minority, to describe the abusers as Asian men or Pakistani men does British Hindus, Sikhs, etc a great disservice.

So let's call it what it is rather than pussy-footing.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim men.

While, yes, most British Muslims are reasonable and should not suffer from prejudices because of a significant evil minority, to describe the abusers as Asian men or Pakistani men does British Hindus, Sikhs, etc a great disservice.

So it's wrong to state their country of origin?

I rather think our sympathies should go to the "great disservice" of those young girls who were abused don't you?
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    It's an horrific number, especially as some of these children had petrol poured on them, amongst other things.

Sexual terrorism is bold - where did these men ever get the idea thry could get away with it? Oh, yes, they were dealing with authorities falling over themselves to make it easy for them.
    One girl said it was a normal part of growing up in Rotherham it's enough to make you weep.
    There must be more men involved in this than have been arrested - the scale is massive. Are some still being protected?
  • Options
    EddietheEagleEddietheEagle Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    For Rotherham, you could read any of a number of towns and cities up and down the land. This is not a phenomenon linked to any one particular town. The scale is horrendous.

From the white side, extensive family breakdown at the levels experienced today doesn't help. Too many children grow up without their naturally protective fathers. Those fathers in turn can rightly claim that social policy despises fatherhood and works to exclude them (any father been to family court?) from their children, all of which is also true.

Modern Britain is becoming a nasty place to grow up in, particularly for those children who lack adequate support from parents. The attitude of those social workers in Rotherham is disgusting. And the police show themselves to be the shower we know they have come to be.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim men.

Outside the metropolitan big cities much of Pakistan is quite feudal I believe, it must be quite a transition to suddenly find themselves not only a in a 21st century modern western liberal democracy, but in a very urban area.

Is the government really helping by allowing chain migration and first cousin arranged marriages? Maybe it's time to stop this constant secondary migration, ban all translations, focus on better integration strategies and allow the community to start to merge in to society, until it vanishes as a separate entity.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »

They are treating women and girls in much the same way as Boko Haram, ISIS, the Taleban ...is it still "islamophobic" to suggest that Muslims are a menace to females?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it about South Yorkshire police?

Are they fit for purpose? If Ofsted policed (ahem) police forces the SYP would have been put in special measures and privatised
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Is it not a Labour controlled council? This has also been going on for 16 years.

I'm not so sure it's a political party issue rather a systemic issue. After all, Labour MP Ann Cryer was very vocal about this, so much so the 2nd Google search auto-suggest when you type her name is "Ann Cryer racist". And this is the crux of the matter for me, racism is one of those words that is too often used to shut down debate and as we see here fear of being called racist can prevent thorough police investigations taking place.

What was the word used as soon as it was announced that an investigation into certain schools was to take place and the word that was used when they were found not to be up to scratch? I think it's time to return to the days of investigating based on the evidence, not whether public opinion or sensibilities might get offended.
  • Options
    EddietheEagleEddietheEagle Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Society has never had a choice over multiculturalism. It's been forced on us. Who in their right mind would have voted to allow Pakistani muslims in in such massive numbers had society been appraised beforehand of their uncivilised behaviour? Who would have voted for the creeping ghettoisation of Britain?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the abuse "began" in 1997?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    I wonder why the abuse "began" in 1997?

New Labour - New Danger