Options

eBay selling help...

javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone can offer me a little adice about what to do re a item I've sold on eBay. It was my first item I've sold so I'm relatively new to the selling side.

To sum it up, I listed an expensive item which eventually sold. However I'm a bit unsure whether I should send it. I know i should but i have a few bad feelngs about this.

I'm a bit iffy because mainly I mentioned in block capitals that I'll only ship UK only and the buyer is shipping to Nigeria... So will I be able to get out of this? I know I probably should've done that exclusions bit but i thought it'd be pointless to do it for just the UK.

Then another thing is my fear of it being a scam as it is high value ad the buyer just created the account the day he bidded and has no rating etc at all.

Thirdly I received payment by notifications via eBay and paypal but it's way more than it should be and my friend mentioned when he was selling recenly he basically encountered a similar situation but he got weird emails and stories from the buyer and notified eBay.

I was just wondering if I do have a leg to stand on and can I notify eBay or something ofmy reluctance to send it? Or am i obliged to send?

Sorry for the long post and the questions which may have been answered many a times before, but i can't seem to find one on my phone and i have no access to a laptop atm right now.

Any help DSers??

Comments

• Options
    ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone can offer me a little adice about what to do re a item I've sold on eBay. It was my first item I've sold so I'm relatively new to the selling side.

To sum it up, I listed an expensive item which eventually sold. However I'm a bit unsure whether I should send it. I know i should but i have a few bad feelngs about this.

I'm a bit iffy because mainly I mentioned in block capitals that I'll only ship UK only and the buyer is shipping to Nigeria... So will I be able to get out of this? I know I probably should've done that exclusions bit but i thought it'd be pointless to do it for just the UK.

Then another thing is my fear of it being a scam as it is high value ad the buyer just created the account the day he bidded and has no rating etc at all.

Thirdly I received payment by notifications via eBay and paypal but it's way more than it should be and my friend mentioned when he was selling recenly he basically encountered a similar situation but he got weird emails and stories from the buyer and notified eBay.

I was just wondering if I do have a leg to stand on and can I notify eBay or something ofmy reluctance to send it? Or am i obliged to send?

Sorry for the long post and the questions which may have been answered many a times before, but i can't seem to find one on my phone and i have no access to a laptop atm right now.

Any help DSers??

You shouldn't send it. Nigeria is a no go for ebay as far as I'm aware. I wouldn't send the item.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't dream of sending a valuable item to a buyer like yours since it's absolutely clear that he's a scammer. From Nigeria, bidding even though you've clearly said that you ship to UK only, and a newly created account. It's very likely that some of the emails that you've received that appear to be from eBay or PayPal are also fake, particularly as PayPal doesn't operate in Nigeria. It's 99% certain that you'd never really get paid for your item anyway.

It would be sensible to report the problem to eBay:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/report_problem.html
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Report the transaction and the subsequent correspondence you've received from the buyer to Ebay and you will most likely find in the coming days that their account status reads as 'no longer registered'. You may find that phoning Ebay will get things moving quicker.

Make sure you change your seller preferneces to only allow bids from UK based buyers, this should safeguard you in future from similar scams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    This happened to me with a laptop. If you check your paypal account the money will not be there, as the emails will be fake.
    Notify ebay & re-list.
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a scam..shouldnt happen anyway if u say the buyer needs to be registered in the uk when u list it..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies :)

I've read the replies and I'll just report the buyer and relist the item.

I've reread the emails on my laptop now and the email address used isn't entirely convincing and the images don't even load!! The email from 'ebay' as saying I need to send it within 24hours aswell when I listed it as a 5day cleared payment!

Ohwell, thanks for your help once again :)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you probably need to complain, as i bet ebay will charge you even if you dont send the goods
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »
    its a scam..shouldnt happen anyway if u say the buyer needs to be registered in the uk when u list it..

His location is uk, def need to tick all the boxes for country limitations!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, as I'm here, what would everyone say would be the best way to send it? Like I've put Signed for via Royal Mail, but should I use a courier or would it generally not entirely matter?
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, as I'm here, what would everyone say would be the best way to send it? Like I've put Signed for via Royal Mail, but should I use a courier or would it generally not entirely matter?

for uk? i dunno the cheapest. dont send anything to nigeria just refund and relist
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    dont send get ebay live help and tell them you have reason to belive it a scam

i had same problem informed ebay said that if is is listed on uk version of ebay and ive put uk only in the listing im not obliged to send out side of uk if you want to conect ebay live help send me a pm and ill find the details:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, quick update. I reported it with the Header email thing and they got the account shut etc. Then done the Fee's thing.

Now today I've gotten another message from the 'eBay Loss Prevention Department'!! Urging me to complete my transaction and that the initial shut down of his account was due to an 'email update' :rolleyes:

Anyways will contact ebay once again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, quick update. I reported it with the Header email thing and they got the account shut etc. Then done the Fee's thing.

Now today I've gotten another message from the 'eBay Loss Prevention Department'!! Urging me to complete my transaction and that the initial shut down of his account was due to an 'email update' :rolleyes:

Anyways will contact ebay once again.
    Was that email actually from eBay or did it just look as if it was? I gather you've already received fake emails from this bidder and that sounds like another one.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    It is a scam but at least you will be well prepared in future.
  • Options
    TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Log onto YOUR Paypal account from your computer. Don't click on any links the bidder has sent you. Check to see if there has been any payment into your account. If not, don't post anything to anywhere. Contact Ebay and report it straight away.

It happened to me a while ago, when I saw Nigeria as the address I thought oh,oh, what's this then. Got my fees back from Ebay no problem at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to check if an email really is from eBay, the easiest way is to forward it to spoof@ebay.co.uk and they'll tell you if it is.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/reporting-spoof.html

The PayPal equivalent is spoof@paypal.com.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To avoid this in the future I recommend ticking the "Immediate Payment Required" box. I started doing this a few years ago thanks to timewasters and scams and haven't had any problems since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eliott256 wrote: »
    To avoid this in the future I recommend ticking the "Immediate Payment Required" box. I started doing this a few years ago thanks to timewasters and scams and haven't had any problems since.

That's only available on but it now purchase though isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    That's only available on but it now purchase though isn't it?

Oh, maybe, I don't know, I've always sold my stuff through buy it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eliott256 wrote: »
    Oh, maybe, I don't know, I've always sold my stuff through buy it now.

Yeh, I think that's exclusively for buy it now auctions.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Yeh, I think that's exclusively for buy it now auctions.

It can't be any other way really. Buy It Now means you've just bought it and are at the PC and can make a payment.

Auctions on the other hand you put in a maximum bid, so may actually win something at a time when you can't get to a PC for a while.

Don't get put off by a bad experience though, it's quite exciting and rewarding once you get into selling. I've just started selling on ebay, mainly old "junk" from the loft, and have now made £179 in a month. It's amazing what some people will buy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    It can't be any other way really. Buy It Now means you've just bought it and are at the PC and can make a payment.

Auctions on the other hand you put in a maximum bid, so may actually win something at a time when you can't get to a PC for a while.

Yeh, well that's what I thought.
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I've just started selling on ebay, mainly old "junk" from the loft, and have now made £179 in a month. It's amazing what some people will buy!

Just wait until you get your monthly listing and final value fees bill in from Ebay, I bet you're not so happy then!

You lot are very cynical. Hows an honest buyer in Nigeria supposed to get started using Ebay if everyone immediately assumes they're a scammer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    ^ it is safe to post to nigeria, as long as you make sure you really have received the payment in paypal, and send the item international signed for (keep the tracking code for six months or more just in case!). i have sold mobile phones and pc's to nigerians and have never had a problem. quite often if there is a scam then ebay will warn you after the auction ends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ it is safe to post to nigeria, as long as you make sure you really have received the payment in paypal, and send the item international signed for (keep the tracking code for six months or more just in case!). i have sold mobile phones and pc's to nigerians and have never had a problem. quite often if there is a scam then ebay will warn you after the auction ends.

International signed for DOES NOT guarantee any tracking after the package leaves the UK. I wouldn't advise anyone to post to Nigeria.