Options

Seinfeld?

Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know why this brilliant comedy is not on TV in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why this brilliant comedy is not on TV in the UK?

IMO my answer to that would be because it's about as funny as leprosy
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    It used to be on BBC2 years ago but for some unknown reason it was shown at about 11:45pm at night. I think its sometimes repeated on some of the comedy channels.

I agree that its a great comedy. If C4 or someone had put it on Friday nights at 9pm it would no doubt have got similar viewing figures to something like Friends.

If you like Seinfeld (and have Sky) you might also want to check out 'Curb your Enthusiasm' currently showing on Sky Atlantic. It was written by and stars Larry David the guy who co-created Seinfeld and the humour is similar (although a bit cruder sometimes).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

I am afraid that is a minority opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    It used to be on BBC2 years ago but for some unknown reason it was shown at about 11:45pm at night. I think its sometimes repeated on some of the comedy channels.

I agree that its a great comedy. If C4 or someone had put it on Friday nights at 9pm it would no doubt have got similar viewing figures to something like Friends.

If you like Seinfeld (and have Sky) you might also want to check out 'Curb your Enthusiasm' currently showing on Sky Atlantic. It was written by and stars Larry David the guy who co-created Seinfeld and the humour is similar (although a bit cruder sometimes).

I have Curb on series link even though I have seen them all before!
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »

Agreed.

Virgin 1 were the last channel to show it although it didn't run to long, probably due to ratings sadly.

The DVD box sets are quite cheap these days so fans can get their fix through that. The Soup Nazi episode is pure genuis which never fails to cheer me up.:D
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sure I read somewhere that Sky Atlantic are going to show Seinfeld re-runs (which would make sence as they may have got the rights as part of the Virgin buy out), but no sign of it yet.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the show has been remastered in HD then I'm sure Sky Atlantic would relish the chance of showing it.

I have to say I've watched a few episodes and just couldn't get into it. I didn't find it, or Jerry Seinfeld all that funny...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    As the show has been remastered in HD then I'm sure Sky Atlantic would relish the chance of showing it.

I have to say I've watched a few episodes and just couldn't get into it. I didn't find it, or Jerry Seinfeld all that funny...

Its not just you who does not like Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zG_PN31YJU&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

To be honest, I really couldn't get into it the first time I watched it, then a friend of mine left the box set at my house and yada yada yada, I'm now a massive fan! :)
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seinfeld and Larry Sanders are two comedies that were treated abominably by terrestrial television in the nineties. They shoved them around the schedules and showed them in the middle of the night and it was criminal! They fortunately showed Seinfeld daily on Paramount so I got to see it once I had cable television. Obviously I own all the box sets now, so I don't need to see it, but it's hugely popular in the uk, it's one of the funniest shows of all time, with arrested development, 30 Rock, Curb and Larry Sanders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    Seinfeld and Larry Sanders are two comedies that were treated abominably by terrestrial television in the nineties. They shoved them around the schedules and showed them in the middle of the night and it was criminal! They fortunately showed Seinfeld daily on Paramount so I got to see it once I had cable television. Obviously I own all the box sets now, so I don't need to see it, but it's hugely popular in the uk, it's one of the funniest shows of all time, with arrested development, 30 Rock, Curb and Larry Sanders.

Correct. It is amazing that a show like Seinfeld, funnier than 99% of all UK comedy in the last 30 years never made in onto a primetime slot.

Cheers and Taxi managed it
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it.

I find Seinfeld himself to be a dreadful actor (His episode on 30 Rock, easily the worst 30 Rock episode) he just comes across as completely wooden and the jokes can be seen about 10 minutes before they are delivered.

Perhaps if I watched it from the start it would be better, but I remember trying to force myself to watch it when one of the channels used to have double bill's every morning, I lasted 7 episodes before I gave up, just didn't come across as believable, and in turn, wasn't funny.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am afraid that is a minority opinion.

That's as maybe but it doesn't stop it being a valid opinion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jerry was the straight man, it was the other characters that were funny.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried it from the start, from the middle, from various points.

Watched episodes that were 'highly rated' by fans.

Still found it very 'meh'.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    jerry was the straight man, it was the other characters that were funny.

Agreed, particularly George and Kramer.

I also loved all the frustrating everyday situations the characters got into. Plus it wasn't afraid to be a bit controversial and un-pc and didn't suffer from the some of the sickly-sweetness that some other top US comedies (like Friends) sometimes do.

This link gives a good review of the show.
    http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/seinfeld.htm
  • Options
    cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    I tried it from the start, from the middle, from various points.

Watched episodes that were 'highly rated' by fans.

Still found it very 'meh'.

I think you gave it a good shot anyway!

I got hooked on Seinfeld from Season 1. At that time (was it 1990?), there wasn't any show like it on tv.

Seinfeld would probably tell you himself he's not the best actor, nor did he try to hide it on the show. You can usually see him cracking a smile or stifling a laugh. And he didn't try to always give himself the best lines. Some of the best lines/jokes have come from the other 3 characters, and considering he and Larry did a lot of the writing, it just made me like him even more. He wasn't afraid to let the other actors shine. Nor was he afraid to take the piss out of himself as in Season 4 when they had the tv show arc. Love it when the producer is watching Jerry in the pilot show, and she exclaims, 'It's that Jerry...he can't ACT!'. :D

These are 4 very horrible people doing really horrible things and you can't help but love them (well...I love them!). I thought the Series Finale was very fitting...because it was exactly what they deserved.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Im sure I read somewhere that Sky Atlantic are going to show Seinfeld re-runs (which would make sence as they may have got the rights as part of the Virgin buy out), but no sign of it yet.
    You may have seen it discussed here.

Great show and the DVD is a must.
  • Options
    widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the others I don't find Seinfeld that funny, neither do I really get the Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think it's because people really go on and on about how great it is and I just find it mildly amusing.
    Kramer annoys me though. Americans find that whole "kooky" thing great whereas to me it's just an actor trying to be slightly surreal and failing.
    Don't get me started on the bloody annoying bass line jingle.
  • Options
    simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serenity now serenity now
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Good show:)

And yea I guess there is more chance of it returning in HD.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen Seinfeld but I like how Larry David made a joke out of never having a black actor on it during an episode of Curb ...
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's as maybe but it doesn't stop it being a valid opinion

You made a statement, not an opinion. Yes it deserves a re-run on terrestrial.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    You made a statement, not an opinion. Yes it deserves a re-run on terrestrial.

No. He/She wrote 'IMO'

'IMO' = In MY OPINION. So wasnt it an opinion, not a statement?
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this show:D